Relock Bootloader - Device list - missing in (every) Installation Guide

Hi there!
I just installed /e/ on my “new” Samsung S10. I would like to know whether it is possible to relock the bootloader.
Where would I find that information?

• there is no Device list for phones that support relocking the bootloader.
  • there is not one hint about relocking bootloader in the Installation Guide.

There are some rumors about a bricked phone after relocking bootloader, so this information might be quite an important thing to add in every(!) installation guide. As I see now, in FP3 and FP4, relocking is explained.

For example with my S10, it is not really funny to switch on - a lot of warning symbols and an extra confirmation that this device is NOT SURE (what an irony), and relocking would be quite interesting for me - but is it possible? Who knows?

1 Like

The installation guides are accurate – when you can re-lock the bootloader after installing /e/ it will say so in the instructions ! On your Samsung S10 please do not attempt to lock your bootloader, the ROM is not built to be locked.

Here is a post similar yours containing several more insights: Teracube 2e Orange State at Reboot. I found it from this Search results for 'Lock bootloader after install order:latest' - /e/ community

1 Like

Thanks for that post. Actually i searched, but i wanted to find a not phone specific title/question.

Well, i disagree, and apparently i’m not the only one: there is no “caution” or “warning” at the end of the installation guide that the bootloader can’t be locked again and that this bootloader message is not of relevance and has to be ignored. This could be a very simple thing to add in every installation guide.

And actually I’m surprised that murena sells phones hat have such a warning at startup (e.g. teracube 2e), without telling in advance. People who buy a preinstalled phone (for example because they don’t know how to) could be very shocked first boot and disappointed by the service.
Or in direct words:
The attempt of selling google-free but noob-friendly phones fails before the phone has fully booted first time. :neutral_face: (If it’s not a FP)

At least @marcdw agreed that they’re going to change something. Thanks for that! :+1:

The proposed fix which I mentioned in the linked post Replace the device startup warning message with something more appealing (#2980) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab has no assignee and no milestone.

Addressing this issue at boot time is better than adding yet another “Warning” to the install instructions !

I agree that getting this done deserves a higher priority due to the potential shock and disappointment you mention.

Is it possible to Re lock Bootloader on Redmi Note 4 MIDO. !!
THANKS

No ! The author of the install instructions would have included it if it were possible.

1 Like

you still don’t think that it would be good, to include this information in the installation guides?

what do you mean with “boot time”? you mean the stock warning?

Just compare those two scenarios (out of the view of a noob):

Scenario 1:

Installation guide: “Congratulations, you have successfully installed /e/ and everything is all right.”
User: “Yay, let’s start the phone!”
Phone: “WARNING: you installed a software that is not safe. Don’t trust it.”
User: “WTF? What happened? is something wrong with the installation guide? Let’s switch off the phone and check whether I made something wrong! Oh wait, I didn’t lock the bootloader again. Let’s just do that. Maybe the community knows something about it? I might send an E-Mail to the support…”

Scenario 2:

Installation guide: “Congratulations, you have successfully installed /e/ . Don’t worry about the warning when starting the phone, they just don’t like non-googled-software. More information about Bootloader Lock/unlock/relock: [Link has to be created]”
User: “Ok, I see. Let’s start the phone and see what it shows.”
Phone: “WARNING: you installed a software that is not safe. Don’t trust it.”
User: “Ok, an ugly boot screen. Well, I’ll have to deal with it.”

1 Like

Divest OS is abble to relock some devices other than FairPhone

Verified Boot Hashes - DivestOS Mobile

My replies do not include whether I think the larger situation is right or wrong.

The significant thing the open issue refers to is that different users see different negative warnings (not generated by /e/). (Interestingly, Samsung in the past was quite gentle in their warning, now perhaps are more challenging.) Delivering an alternative “Orange warning for /e/” seems a good way to go.

1 Like

Hello, I totally agree with the proppositon of leaving it clear wether if it’s possible or not, 'cause in xiomi A1 instrucions it’s not said, and it’s what I have wondered: shall i relock it? I’ve searched for this topic, asked in the model community section, but got no answer.
thanks for a specific answer for me and a generic one for the rest.