Request for comment: highly secure /e/ profile

@GaelDuval I think @darkvadd7 gave a nice solution that fits your idea and the suggestion of other users :

• taking care of mum and dad
  • some users don’t want default App / not happy with the preinstalled App

Personally, I don’t like TOR network neither the browser as I feel my data goes through an unsecured network.
Cheers

1 Like

I imagine a mix of the settings panel and the permissions.
An example of what the profile definition page could be

Wifi : never / all / none free / select
 Camera : none / all / no selfy / selected

Microphone : never / only phone / selected
Gps : never / no geolocation except travel / selected

And so on.
After this first setting the system could suggest some apps based on permissions and refine the settings with a list. Then finally adjust the settings individually.

2 Likes

@darkvadd7 I love the color coding idea!
Definitely a great plan!

1 Like

Maybe it’s a bit complicated for basic users, but for advanced users, why not.

2 Likes

@darkvadd7 why not everyone?
Sounds great. So easy to control!

@donut3 I think it’s too much settings for a first install for a beginner. With a selection of profiles, basic users will know simply what to do, but with a lot of settings, they will maybe be lost, in my opinion.

3 Likes

@darkvadd7 I understand. That makes sense, I think you’re right!
Anyway it’s a great feature!!!
Besides needs to be easy for everyone. This needs to appeal to everyone. So easy is better!

I don’t think it is necessary to provide a highly secure profile but it could make sense to provide different profiles:

(1) a standard one,
(2) a bare minimum profile (phone + app store?) and
(3) an expert profile.

For the latter one I’d imagine that there’s a list of maybe 100 apps popping up where the user might just tick the apps that he/she wants and they are subsequently all installed. For this app list, I’d put priority on security and hacking apps. This could be an added value as it speeds-up the app installation process - for those who often make new installations. I imagine this a bit like the installation menu from PortableApp.com (the Windows users among you might know that: http://gg.gg/djgal)

In the installation process of /e/ I would propose just the standard installation. The other two options should only pop up when the user opts for ‘advanced settings’.

1 Like

A highly secure profile is most certainly important! It needs to be easy to have maximum security!

1 Like

As soon as we’ll be able to remove default applications, this is a nice tutorial:
https://blog.torproject.org/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy

According to me .there should be profiles like normal and secure and super secure .
in normal cell phone ahould be used as normal android
in secure only those apps should be allowd that are pre installed
in super secure cell phone should switched to such a mode that its all those services should stop through which data can be sent for eg usb,gsm,wifi bluetooth .in short cell phone should behave like gsm mobile

3 Likes

@saqlain nice idea :+1:

1 Like

i like this idea (@GaelDuval 's suggestion for the 3 profiles), but i also like @Superman 's note to keep things as simple as possible for mum and grandpa. Perhaps the ideal midway solution will be to have a default app, that everyone uses (without difficult questions about what type of profile you want to use), but to allow powerusers separate downloads/pages where they can download the James Bond profile and/or the virgin profile (love this suggestion by the way, for the virgin profile). Telegram has something of the sorts on the Google Play store: they have a normal Telegram app, and then also a Telegram X app for powerusers.

1 Like

What /e/ can do to protect users ? First, give users all the knowledge about the features of the system and the device in their hands
Let’s consider the information given by Privacy advisor or Exodus privacy about any app.
There’s a lot of settings and trackers that cannot actually be changed. That’s very frustrating.
1 - Disable all these features by default.
2 - Give users all the information they need to make the right decision and give the user a REAL control over what apps and the device are doing
2 - Extend the actual /e/ application authorisation settings to all the available settings that can be applied to any app with YES / NO / CHOOSE app, and record this setting in a profile

1 Like

It should come with as little programs as possible to prevent any security issues. If user wants they can install more. It should not require /e/ account (or any other) + we need the option to lock applications

5 Likes

SearX is a meta-searching-engine, it search on most already existing search engine such as Google or Bing or DuckDuckGo and compress results in one page but save our privacy.

Maybe an entirely “No G” profile.
For those who installed /e/ to finally debloat their phone, might not like some application communicating with Google Services, or having Google sniffing you on the web.
I maintain for myself this complete Google host file, Feel free to use it

It’s very complicated to build a search engine cause you need a server who will scan EVERY website on the net. I find it paradoxical to use the Google server without offering anything in return.

SearX is more powerful than Google cause it use Google, Bing, Yahoo, Duck Duck Go, Qwant and near every existing search engine to provide best results when saving our privacy.

1 Like

One of the features we are planning on introducing is a graded setup process in which the user is offered various profile options. From a default option which will have all the current system apps to one where there will be only a bare minimum apps - the user decides what he / she would want to add to the system. We have a user base which includes technical and non technical people, so have to consider both groups. These features are a bit difficult to implement as the functionality of most of the system apps are integrated. This plus making almost all the system apps un-installable are in our road map for development. The idea is to give the more power to the user in the selection of applications on the phone.

3 Likes

As the one in the family who gets to do the phone settings / fixes, I will say a single default profile is the best. Having to install something with choices is always unpleasant as I am left trying to judge what level they would be comfortable with. So I would suggest a single install with a reasonable set of privacy respecting apps. Then on the website there could be some pages on choosing alternative apps (e.g. a page for browser, a page for messaging etc.) with a list of suggested apps and pro-cons for each. This would allow the user to slowly optimize their phone to their own needs. As long as the default apps are removable, this makes it easy to match the system to any users requirements.

3 Likes