Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - SM-N950U

I’d like to run /e/ on my Galaxy Note 8. If possible, I would like to participate in providing the build. I’m a software dev, and would like to learn how to port Android ROMs to new devices.

Supported Android versions:

• Nougat
  • Oreo
  • Pie

Additional Details

2 Likes

Same here, I’d be interested!

Samsung builds two models of the Galaxy Note8. Once with Samsung Exynos for the EMEA regions and once with Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 for the USA and China regions.

The model you mentioned, SM-N950U, runs with Qualcomm Snapdragon - and is therefore neither supported by LineageOS nor LightROM or /e/ OS, because these “Best ROMs for Galaxy Note8” all work with the Exynos 8895 chipset.

For the Samsung Note 8 “greatlte” with Exynos chipset, /e/ OS 9-Pie is in planning.

There are several tutorials about /e/ OS image building in the /e/ forum .For example:
[HOWTO] Build /e/
[HOWTO] Build /e/ without docker
[HOWTO] build eOS in old fashioned way with breakfast -- now with interactive script)
:dark_sunglasses: Search …

2 Likes

I’d be interested too, definitely something I could get behind.

Hello , I have a greatlte ready to tinker with.

I think first thing would be to make official progress in LOS …

Have you tried installing GSI ?

List of devices compatibles with the tremble project

/[HOWTO] install eOS GSI on a Treble device - new GSI added June 14th

I hope it’s help :

1 Like

Thanks I will try ASAP

I wanted to keep my Data partition untouched from the samsung ROM but it seems to make any attempt to bootloop

Spent few hours trying steps from here

https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8-(Exynos)

But all I got is Bootloop

Actually it seems that I get 2 system partition after the treble repartitioning which may explain

Hi,
Do you have any information about support for the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Exynos version? I don’t see it in the roadmap.
Thanks

Humm , still have my greatlte daily driver ( Buggy havoc os ) , I really wish we could suceed to make en /e/ rom for it or at least a working GSI , anybody have this phone as me ?

Hi,

i am interested too
experienced ITC integrator
i am willing to contribute as Tester just I need support for SPen with SCommand and Samsung Keyboard for Note 8 :slight_smile:

S-pen seems proprietary,
Why not buying a generic pen ?

There is a build for greatlte mentioned here [UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Samsung Galaxy Note 8 (2017) (greatlte) v1-t.

There is a thread from @Stricted on XDA https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-greatlte-sm-n950f-10-lineageos-17-1.4041979/

and sources can be found

Might be better if I had responded on a more relevant thread rather than this thread with the USA (see also Post #3) SM-N950U in the title.

Sorry, i forgot to mention have the EMEA version

Scommand worked for my Galaxy Note 4