Samsung - Galaxy S III (International) - i9300 - Documentation Suggestions

Please add your suggestions to improve the documentation for the Samsung - Galaxy S III (International) - i9300 here …

The same happened to me as described here:

with latest twrp: “failed to map file”, install failed whether through adb sideload or install from a zip.

with v3.0.2-1, all good.

maybe mentioning that and suggesting that version (if that’s the only/proper solution to that problem) could help.

cheers!

Thanks will add this suggestion to the documentation. We are getting reports of issue from users with the latest TWRP across devices. Using the previous version of TWRP solves this problem in most cases.

This issue has been reported before the release of TWRP 3.4.0 :

Would be nice to hear from other i9300 users what version of TWRP they use.

Could we write something like :
The last version of TWRP 3.4.0-0 is designed for installing OS based on android 10, and don’t match as well for earlier OS version 7, 8, 9, better use an older version of TWRP : ?

1 Like

:slight_smile: was planning on putting something like that on the documentation site…This is what I also saw while testing - if you are flashing Q builds …coming from 10 and remain on Q - 3.4.xx should be ok. The 3.4.x… TWRP may be getting complied with the newer device trees of 10. For the rest of Pie , Oreo builds the older TWRP versions are enough.

1 Like

Just installed and trying this build on my i9300 intl, had old lineage OS 14 on. Had TWRP v 3.1.1-1 worked fine. Testing now, looks quite polished nice work.

1 Like

Hi, posting here as suggested in doc.e.foundation/devices/i9300/install

I’ve been happyly using LOS14.1 on my second hand Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)
UNTIL the system went broken after a sudden shutdown caused by a bad battery
on reboot (TWRP) said:
Encryption unsuccessful
Encryption was interrupted and cant complete
As a result, the data on your phone is no longer accessible
To resume using your phone, you need to perform a factory reset
tried (too hastily) factory reset
result: phone unusable, bootloop

Luckily the device was still accesible as MTP device through TWRP3.2.3-0, which has been installed with Odin_v3.13.1.
(never succeeded to use Heimdall on Lubuntu 16.04, Odin on winXP went quite easy - just drivers to install-).
TWRP File manager showed me all data was already wiped: there was nothing left to repair

So I decided to give E/OS a try

Used TWRP to copy on the SD the last e/os ROM for this device:
e-0.19-n-20211023142427-dev-i9300.zip

Following doc.e.foundation/devices/i9300/install for wiping,
instructed TWRP to directly install zip from external SD and reboot (as I did it with LOS)
Worked flawlessly

Rooted the phone, (adb only) but this wasnt sufficient to give access to Titanium Backup
With root access (adb+apps) Titanium was finally happy (I flashed also supersu with TWRP, not sure if it was needed)

Not too happy with Bliss, I found some hint on community.e.foundation/t/trebuchet-as-alternate-e-os-default-launcher/41073/9
Downloaded and installed Trebuchet from:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-port-lineageos-15-1-trebuchet-laucher-for-any-rom-ver-8-1-0-22.3667436/
At the next boot, I was given the choice between Trebuchet and Bliss (choosed definitive).
This also is since then working perfectly (which I didnt expect with this old Nougat Android7)

Also installed CMFileManager-3.0.0_CM13 with total root access.

I am very impressed by E/OS.
Everything tested is working: Wifi, GPS, USB modem, MTP device, Camera
I will definitely stay with e/os !

Just one strange thing still unresolved:
I found /system/app/Terminal/Terminal.apk which I installed but refused to work.
Now, after (reboot or install/uninstall another terminal app ?) it is working.
But :
pm list-packages doesn’t work

pm says:
pm list commands have moved!
Run ‘adb shell cmd package’
to display the new commands.

cmd -l shows “package”

cmd package doesn’t show anything

cmd package list packages doesn’t either

What could be wrong?

EDIT: tried today with adb , connecting to linux PC
adb shell pm list-packages is working here (it wasn’t from terminal app in phone)