Samsung - Galaxy S9 - starlte - Documentation Suggestions

First we will have to release the S9 OS OTA upgrade build for all users… this has not happened as yet.
Post that on the s9 if you on dev Oreo one way is to use the Easy Installer and switch to the stable oreo build.
The upgrade build should show up OTA after that.

Alright, but switching from Oreo Dev to Oreo stable via easy installer means to completely reinstall from scratch including data loss right? I guess it would be better then to wait for the release on the Dev branch

install was successfull but when rebooting system the dot is jumping for several minutes then restarts into twrp. what could it be? do i have to wipe something now?

Other attempt for booting stable

Wipe /system and /data
Install /e/ stable, Restore data
Wipe cache and davilcache
Reboot

If you decide to go back to dev,
Wipe the needed /partitions before restore your backup

Thanks a lot for your support! I´m afraid i only took a backup of the data partition not the system one.
How is it possible that it fails to boot after wiping the system partition? only trying to understand

In the end i mamaged to find a very old but complete backup with v.0.15.
Restored it after wiping system, data and Boot partition, updated ota to v.0.18 and restored my data backup after wiping only data.

Soo happy to be back on status quo and not having to install everything again from scratch.

The only thing is i still wont receive the ota upgrade to q

Anyway one day of work for nothing

Hello,

I did researches on this forum before to post anything new.
I learned interesting facts about the ashamed politics of Samsung, regarding their updates process.

But I didn’t found any answer to the problem I encounter.

I am trying to install /e/ OS on my Samsung S9 (SM-G960F), recently acquired on Backmarket.

My computer is running on NixOS.

First of all, I’ve rode the official installation tutorial a few times, when I was waiting to receive the parcel containing the smartphone.

Reading the different warnings and other beautifully coloured boxes, I’ve been aware that I should have a look for updates on the current OS the smartphone would host.

With no surprises, the smartphone has been delivered to me with Android 10 (Q).

So I’ve checked for system updates, and the phone very smartly detected through the network that it could be improved ! Wow, nice. So I finally got a Samsung Galaxy S9 on it’s latest firmware version, at the date of 3rd December 2021.

The Android version is QP1A.190711.020 - G960FXXSHFUJ2.

Then I pursued the install process, following the tutorial steps:

• Heimdall installation (OK)
  • flashing TWRP recovery (OK)
  • boot into TWRP (OK)
  • resize user date (OK)
  • patch the device HA! NOT OK.

I had my brother on the phone (another one) at the same time (he’s my personal helper for many things).
He advised me to try to install those vendors, as they are mentioned in the tutorial.

The link in the tutorial is pointing to VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip which seems to be for Android 9, what I realized after…

So I succeeded in installing them, feeling powerfull at this time, just before to try again to patch the device.

Same ERROR: 1 again.

I checked on the internet, saw I wasn’t the only one getting troubles with that stuff, but didn’t found any solution after maybe 2 hours of researches.

I was a bit desperate, but wanted to try to skip this step, just in case it would work without no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0

So I tried to avoid it, and launched adb sideload e-0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-starlte.zip

I felt like a chevalier.

It failed.

=========================================
=========================================
                  ERROR:
        Vendor image on the device
             is NOT compatible
       Expected Android 10 vendor
==========================================
=========NO CHANGE HAS BEEN MADE==========

Updater process ended with ERROR: 7

As you can see, it is currently asking me for Android 10 vendor, to allow me to install my desired, my Graal, /e/ OS Q.

So today my questions are:

• Is it OK to skip the patch installation on the device ? (first fail, for me, it caused the ERROR: 1)
  • Does anyone knows where to find those infamous Android 10 vendor ? (cause I can’t find anything about it, but maybe I’m blind)

You are right instructions could contains mixed informations

If not already done, Upgrade to stock android 10

Allow USB flashing , OEM unlock…

Flash a custom recovery (twrp 3.6 is available)

" no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0" is outdated
according to the XDA thread version 6 exist and is recommended no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip

VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip is useful only if you want to install the android 8 Oreo based /e/ stable build

Install the /e/ build

Hey piero,

I suspected the VENDOR-27_ARI9.zip to be responsible of the second error I encountered, while trying to install e-0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-starlte

Nonetheless, the first error I got concerns the patch no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0
See the screenshot in my first post.
I tried several times, rebooting TWRP between each try, and it didn’t worked for me.
I rode yesterday evening several topics with people encountering this kind of issue.
Some people says an older TWRP version can solve the issue.

I’ll try to install an Android 10 version I’m currently downloading from SAMFREW (thanks for this post :slight_smile: even if I’m not on Windows), then I’ll try all the process again with twrp-3.5.0_9-0-starlte.img instead of twrp-3.6.0_9-0-starlte.img

Feel free to grow my thinking if you have tips or other experience to share on it.

I’ll let you know !

This XDA official TWRP thread give the correct information to get installation on this device

Hey Piero,

Sorry for my late answer… I used to be sick for the past week so I just avoid doing technical stuff on my free time.

So what I did :

1. I installed a stock Android 10, the latest available ROM on SAMFREW. I did it through a VM on Windows with Odin rather than with Heimdall on my Linux OS, because it looked far easier this way after reading a few posts on the XDA forum. I followed this tutorial, very easy.

2. After booting on the stock ROM, Android Q with all the SAMSUNG apps, I checked for updates, and well, it was already up to date. I activated the dev settings, then did the OEM unlock and allowed the USB flashing.

3. I installed twrp-3.5.0, cause I remembered having troubles with the 3.6.0

4. I boot on TWRP and did the Resize userdata part of the official turotial

5. I patched the device but… I got an ERROR 1 again (see my screen above)

6. I still want to try the /e/ OS installation, so I do the adb sideload e-0.19-q-20211027142973-dev-starlte.zip and it works

7. I boot on /e/ OS for the first time on my Galaxy S9, it looks fully fonctionnal.

I’m just wondering if it’s OK this way, because it seems to work, but maybe something could go wrong in a few time ?

I am surprise to see that the system takes 8,4 Go on my phone memory… It seems very huge to me, even more since the /e/ .zip file is only 852,8 Mo while the stock ROM I installed before is near 5 Go.

I’m afraid there is still files and data I don’t need on my phone. Do you know which size /e/ OS Q is supposed to take on the S9 memory ?

Sorry for my beginner questions, but I would like to get a clearest mind on it.

1 Like

in some recent experiences using ODIN with recent samsung, it is recomanded to put VBmeta or disable_encryption or no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung as “BL” and put twrp as "AP"
and flash them toguether,

untill you brick your phone, i am not 100% sure of that as i don’t have this devices in hands
check the forum search bar for validation about that ! and the web ! ( cannot remember clearly, but i think it is not CP ! )

hello, my Samsung S9 is running lineage-17.1-20210125-nightly-starlte (Android 10) & twrp 3.5.2_9-0.

TWRP cannot mount the data partition so I think that /data is encrypted:

starlte:/vendor/etc $ grep ' /data'  /proc/self/mounts                                                                                                                                                                                                 
/dev/block/dm-0 /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,journal_checksum,noauto_da_alloc,resgid=1065,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0

I’d like to install /e/ OS Q (Android 10). Do I need to patch the device with no-verity-opt-encrypt? Some people mention no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip. Which is the correct version? Could you add a SHA256 of the patch file to the installation documentation so that we do not patch our device with a virus?

Can I directly install the latest Q dev image in /e/ image ROM download? I am worried about the message: ensure that the device is on the latest Android Stock firmware same as the version of the /e/OS you are planning to install.

@legrec14 were you able to install /e/ without running no-verity-opt-encrypt or did no-verity-opt-encrypt work and disable encryption before failing?

Hello @piero, thank you for your links, I rode many posts on the XDA forum and found interesting things that helped to solve my case.

Hello @stuart, yes I’ve been able to install /e/ OS (S) without running no-verity-opt-encrypt not any other similar package. But in this way, I’m not sure if everything would be OK in the long-term.

I rode this other testimony that goes the same way as mine : it seems that @mospaeda has also been able to install /e/ OS on his S9 without “patching” the device with code to remove the encryption.

But just as him, I installed the stock ROM up to date on my cellphone, through Odin, before to install TWRP and then /e/ OS. Once again, I share this process, well describe. You just need a machine running on Windows for it. (I haven’t tried to install the stock ROM through Heimdall on Linux, but it seems far more difficult due to the fact you have to manually list all the repertories needed for the system, and to do it all in one command, and in the right order because if you don’t respect the expected pattern it will fail. Plus some people experienced a limitation transfer of 4Go with Heimdall.)

So, I really recommend you to update your cellphone with the latest firmware, via the installation of the stock ROM through Odin.

Then, during the first boot on the stock ROM, you have to parameter many things, but you don’t mind all of this because it’s just a transition step for us, who hope to be /e/ OS users :slight_smile: .
So I recommend to skip every steps you can skip, especially those related to the encryption (when the system asks you to “protect your phone” with facial recognition, iris, fingerprints, etc…).

I haven’t do many tests so I cannot be certain of it, but I wonder that maybe it plays a role in the encryption you encounter then via TWRP. So just install the stock ROM without connecting your google account, without parameter the “phone protection” etc. Just have a look for updates and activate the developer parameters to activate OEM Enlock and USB flashing etc… At this point, you can follow the official process.

Indeed, when you come from the stock ROM, the official process works fine for me.

The only thing that used to block me was this incapacity to install the “patch” no-verity-opt-encrypt.

Even if I did install /e/ OS without this patch, I was anxious that something could be wrong, so I decided to install again the stock ROM, and try it all again.

I did it, and the only thing I changed is that I installed TWRP 4.0 instead of the 5.0 or even the 6.0. The file I chose to install it through Heimdall is twrp-3.4.0-0-starlte.img dowloaded from the official TWRP site.

I rode on XDA forum that anterior versions (3.0 and below) does not support Android 10 (Q).
TWRP 4.0 has been designed for Android 10 (Q). The upper versions can be more buggy for the functionality we are looking, don’t ask me why as I’m not at all an expert. I just rode it from others, and experienced if myself so I can confirm I didn’t worked for me with TWRP 5.0 and 6.0, but it did work with TWRP 4.0 : I’ve been able to successfully install the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip (you can get it from here, as @piero shared it in a previous post) :slight_smile: !

Then continue to follow the steps described in the official process, things you have to do with the data, cache, etc. And finally install /e/ OS (Q), and it should work as it did for me :wink: .

I hope my experience helped you, please let us know if it works for you as well.

PS = to share it in detail, the /e/ OS Q (0.19) took approximately 3min15sec to be installed on my phone after I launched the command through Heimdall.

And if other people was wondering, the memory place dedicated to /e/ OS Q (0.19) is effectively 8,4Go on my phone. I checked the stock ROM while I reinstalled it, and the memory space dedicated to the system took 11,5Go. That difference is not surprising due to all the proprietary apps on it (Google apps + Samsung apps) on the stock ROM.

1 Like

I ran into the same problem but fortunately managed to install /e/ without the patch. I was wondering though: could I install the patch after installation of /e/ or would that mess things up?

Hello everyone!

I just installed /e/ on my Samsung Galaxy S9 (SM-G960F) successfully. I used /e/'s guide, but some steps were not straightforward or didn’t work, so I’d like to document my experience.

1. Rebooting after flashing TWRP: I was supposed to reboot to recovery (twrp), but my only option was to reboot to system - no other reboot options, or power off, is possible at that point. However when that reboot to system happened, and I rebooted again to recovery, twrp was lost. So I flashed TWRP again, rebooted to system, but as soon as the screen turned off for reboot, immediately switched from Vol Down + Power (key combo to reboot to system) to Vol Up + Bixby + Power (key combo to boot to recovery). This worked, TWRP loaded, and the sun was shining again.

2. “Patch the device” section The no-verity thing was not going to happen, at all. Flashing any version failed with a red ERROR 1 line. I tried the linked no-verity thing samsung edition 1.0, the standard no-verity 6.1, 5.1, 4.1, all failed with the dreaded ERROR 1. I searched for solutions but nothing seemed to work. Then I stumbled upon this XDA thread, flashed it, and the console said success. Then I proceeded with the original install instructions.

3. “Patch the device” section: instruction #2 makes no sense by itself (“Install the patch”). I guess #3 and #4 is what actually constitutes “Installing the patch”.

4. Installing /e/: We format “data” the second time here, I wonder why. First the instructions say in “Resize userdata” to format data, then tinker something with it, then before installation we format it again? I wonder if that reverted that tinkering phase after the first format, the “Resize File system” step. Also I wonder what we resize to, and from, in this phase?

All in all, the installation succeeded, and I’m now a happy /e/ user. Cuz my data is MY data :slight_smile:

Versions:
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960F (originally sold, I think, in Belgium, with the Proximus provider)
Previus Android: 10
Heimdall: v1.4.2
ADB: Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.39, Version 1:8.1.0+r23-5ubuntu2

/e/: e-0.21-q-20220124158536-dev-starlte (Android 10)
TWRP: twrp-3.6.0_9-1-starlte
The patch thingie: Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_11.02.2020

1 Like

Rebooting after flashing TWRP: I was supposed to reboot to recovery (twrp), but my only option was to reboot to system - no other reboot options, or power off, is possible at that point. However when that reboot to system happened, and I rebooted again to recovery, twrp was lost. So I flashed TWRP again, rebooted to system, but as soon as the screen turned off for reboot, immediately switched from Vol Down + Power (key combo to reboot to system) to Vol Up + Bixby + Power (key combo to boot to recovery). This worked, TWRP loaded, and the sun was shining again.

After installing s.th, TWRP presents yo a “reboot” button, but you can just ignore it and continue/go back to main menu. There you have access to all reboot options regularly. Maybe that was the point where you have been.

“Patch the device” section The no-verity thing was not going to happen, at all. Flashing any version failed with a red ERROR 1 line. I tried the linked no-verity thing samsung edition 1.0, the standard no-verity 6.1, 5.1, 4.1, all failed with the dreaded ERROR 1. I searched for solutions but nothing seemed to work. Then I stumbled upon this XDA thread , flashed it, and the console said success. Then I proceeded with the original install instructions.

I had also issues with this patch, but continued with the /e/ installation, and it is now running without problems. As far as I understand, the patch disables the forced encryption of user data at first boot, and doesn’t remove the ability to encrypt, correct?
Does this influence the ability of TWRP to decrypt user data? I have the experience, that TWRP isn’t able to mount the encrypted user data, when user data is not forcefully encrypted, but manually, is TWRP able to mount it then?

Like @legrec14 and @helicase and many others, for me installation of the patch no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.1.zip failed with error 1, but i proceeded to sideload /e/OS and it worked.
However at first boot I got the message “Wait while your phone is being encrypted”. I don’t know whether this is related and will come back to bite me later.
I installed TWRP 3.6.1 and e-0.22-q-20220226166118-dev-starlte.zip.

The main problem I see is that the installation guide doesn’t explain the purpose of any of the steps (not just this one) and users are supposed to just mimic along like monkeys without understanding anything. In my opinion, this only gives us enough rope to hang ourselves. It’s like handing over a loaded gun to untrained people.

Spreading /e/OS and privacy to the masses won’t succeed without some education. The /e/ Foundation should offer some basic, non-device-specific course on smartphone technology to explain the basic concepts and the essential terminology and should advice people to take it before trying installation.

1 Like

One more suggestion for improvement: instruct users to back up the stock Samsung ROM first of all things as soon as they have TWRP up and running before even attempting to install /e/OS. This way they have a safe fallback.

Shouldn’t the documentation link to where to find a Samsung Galaxy S9 official Android 10 system image ? I need one which, if I understand well, now serves as a “vendors file” and prerequisite to installing Q /e/ - but I fail to find the Samsung official source…