Security keys like Yubikey or Solokey not working

hello,

I bought 2 security keys. both Yubikey 5 NFC. one with USB-A and one with USB-C.
I would like to use them in the browser but it does not seem to work.
I have tried Brave and Firefox it always appears a general error message.
i tried tologin with github and with google. Username and password and then the security key as the second factor.
On my other smartphone with Google Android (Pixel 6 Pro) it works with both firefox and brave.

in the yubico authenticator app everything works fine. both via NFC and USB-C.
Is this an e/OS/ problem? has anyone had experience with security keys?

1 Like

Hello,
I confirm this the same for me.I tried to log in to some services using security keys as the second factor, and I failed in all the browsers I tried. On some LineageOS Reddit thread I read that apparently the system level integration of security keys is a part of the Google Play services that are by definition removed from e/OS/. Until I find a workaround I’m going to use 2FA codes on my e/OS/ phone.

1 Like

It would be nice to have some comments from the e/os/ team, in order to know if we can use FIDO2 security keys within e/OS/ or if there are plans to make it work in the future. Thanks.

I would also very much be interested in this topic. It’s essential for a privacy friendly os to also support fido2 keys

1 Like

Me Too! Pleas answer from the Foundation direct.

The /e/ developers don’t hang out here - they are too busy working :slight_smile: And I guess nobody in this community forum knows anything about this, or they would have replied.

Checking the /e/ issues data base I see

• one open issue mentioning Fido 2 #3877
  • two closed issues mentioning Yubikey #1501 and #613

You are much more likely to get a response from the team if there is an active issue. If one or other of these keys is not working for you, I suggest you raise an issue, with as much information as you can provide

1 Like