Selfhosting or not Selfhosting

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to this /e/ wolrd and got my new FP3 yesterday. I already put the /e/ os on it an it work like a charm. cool stuff!

I do have a Synology NAS DS 1815+ and soon I will migrate to a RS1219+.

I read the topic about selfhosting and I do have questions about it.

On my NAS I could Install Mycloud without ubuntu, would this work as well with my FP3 instead of ecloud.global? So my phone would be connected to my nextcloud on my NAS at home without VM and Ubuntu, is this possible?
I just need to understand why, the “how to” is with ubuntu. I would like to have as much as possible datas on my own server and because I’m starting the setup I would like to do it the right way.

If a VM and installing Ubuntu is the only way to connect with my phones, so it will not bother me at all.

On my NAS I do have Contact and Calendar function, how can I connect them without using nextcloud?

thanks for the help

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You can use EVERY cloud server. The connection for calendar and contacts sync is using caldav access. You can setup an CalDav account in eOS with your personal caldav address and everything works fine. For File sync you must have a look if there is a android client available. If not, you can use Davx5 or FolderSync app to get your file synced.

And I’m sure, you can also install a Nextcloud server on your NAS. Than the access is a bit easier

Wow very fast here, cool.

1. Not important, I like those things :slight_smile:
  2. I do have a ddns from synology, dose it work with it?
  3. I do have a Letsencrypt self signed certificate for my nas
  4. Not yet, but I’m thinking of doing it as well. One step after the other.
  5. I would say my knowledge is okay. I’m not a crack but I’m not a total newbee.
  6. yeah, I love secrets :slight_smile:

I want to get rid off ios, and that’s why I bought a fp3. I will migrate slowly, so I have no rush at the moment.

I do connect with caldav and carddav on my nas .

I would like to connect the whole device to my NAS! So I need to configure a VM and install ubuntu on it, right? If I do connect my device to my own server, can I still need the caldav and carddav of my synology? I imagin, it dosn make sence but is it possible?

sorry I ment nextcloud, my mistake!
My nas can run nextcloud without ubuntu. But I want to selfhost my phone on my own NAS.
So in the manual it say it only work with ubuntu. Can I selfhost my phone on my nas without ubuntu or nextcloud?

I don’t like the facts, that I log me somewhere in and I don’t know where it is. In my case now, I have an account on https://ecloud.global/. I would like to have everything on my own NAS.

All components of self-hosted /e/ Cloud are provided as Docker images (Ubuntu), and the whole setup needs some packages on hosting Ubuntu.
For /e/ email “engine” to work correctly you must also have a valid PTR record, not so easy with residential address.

So, I think you better use your NextCloud for datas, as @harvey186 and @Micha.K explained above, and use an independent email provider.

For the reference, the setup process is described here : https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting/-/tree/master

1 Like

Okay thanks a lot for your reply. I will install nextcloud on my nas and try to login as @Micha.K suggested to do.

I’ll hope to store AS much data as possible onto my own nas. I will also start a mail server on my Synology NAS.

Thanks for the help and for the very fast reply!
I’m really looking forward to discover this new world :slight_smile:

Self-hosting all the way with libre server softwares, forever! Why? You control the data and define your own privacy policy. But make sure you learn basics of backup and maintenance, it being the most important part when things go south.

2 Likes

Hei I managed to install my nextcloud on my nas via docker and login via browser. This works fine.

If I try to login via /e/ OS I get a message like this “It could not found a CalDav nor a CardDav Service” and the I see the login window. So not possible to login.

Whats wrong? How can I install CardDav and CalDav to work with the /e/ OS?

Just wanted to give an update.

I managed to log in to my own nextcloud and it seams that everything works fine. I need to test more over the cuple of weeks coming. But for the moment I’m very happy :slight_smile:

Tanks to @Micha.K @manish @smu44 and @harvey186 for the support!

I also will try to keep my data safe and secure and in case of a crash, that my backups works again.

If you have some method or tipps about backing up properly my selfhosted nextcloud server, I’m very happy to hear it :slight_smile:

by by and thanks again

1 Like

Thx for the update and enjoy your safe data

Nice to read your success :clap:

For backup, I use this app : https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/nextbackup
Your NextCloud has to be in “cron mode” to make it work effectively.
Then, I use plain backup of all NextCloud files and the database backups get included (there are in data/ownbackup).
The plain backup solution is provided by my hosting, you can surely find one in you NAS app store :wink:
If you can, a good practice would be to setup an external USB or network drive as backup target.
Also, don’t forget to include your SQL conf files in backup (SQL data & logs files are irrelevant unless SQL engine is stopped during backup).

1 Like

Hi,
after a couple of weeks, I’m prety happy with my fairphone3 and my selfhosted server. But I’m still not sure if everything works, I’m still testing.

I don’t know why, but since 10 days my files do not sync with my nextcloud server. My Tasks and Note worke absolutly fine.

Email, Contacts and Calendar do not sync with nextcloud, I do sync them separatly.

I updated my /eOS for the first time around ten days ago. I don’t know if it is because of this or not.
I’ve recently installed the nextcloud client on my phone, to see if this would help. But the client downloaded content of my nextcloud server. This is useless for me. I want to sync my fone data to my nextcloud. So as I take a picture with my fone cam, I would like to have it on my nextcloud server asap.
I don’t want to use separate apps for that, because it used to work.

Question: Why is it not syncing anymore?

It happens that eDrive settings are not migrated when updating the phone.

You can check that with digging into your phone storage in /data/data/…(something like eDrive) with root shell (ie no “database” folder).

I made it back to work by de-registering and re-registering my account on my phone (it’s harmless).

1 Like

How do I do that? Can I do it on the phone or do I have to plug the phone to a computer?
How can start the root shell on the phone?

I removed my account and relogged me in. But it seams, that this did not help.

2020-08-03T22:00:00Z It seams to work, my pictures do sync again. Thanks @smu44 for the advice!!

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you’ll have to wait at least 1/2 hour after re-adding the account :frowning:

About the check :

• enable Developer Mode, then allow root by USB :
  • then connect the phone to a adb-capable computer (I use Win10), verify device availability, enable root, launch shell (note the # prompt) :
  • now you can dig into storage :
    (my phone is ok, it has the “databases” folder, and preferences.xml shows “initService_has_run” to True)

If eDrive get uninitialized, you’ll got no “databases” dir and False in xml file.

Don’t forget to disable root access and USB debugging !

On your selfhosted eCloud, you can also check sync, with the command

docker logs --details --follow --tail 40 nginx

Every 1/2h, you should see lines like :

“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Photos/ HTTP/1.1” 207 4955 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Pictures/ HTTP/1.1” 207 948 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Movies/ HTTP/1.1” 207 946 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Music/ HTTP/1.1” 207 945 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Ringtones/ HTTP/1.1” 207 22176 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Documents/ HTTP/1.1” 207 9115 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Podcasts/ HTTP/1.1” 207 948 “-” “” “-”
“PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/Photos/OpenCamera/ HTTP/1.1” 207 5930 “-” “” “-”

NB : you may have others 20x HTTP codes instead of my 207’s.
Don’t mistake with addressbook and calendar calls, search for “webdav”.

I do have a question about what files or folder is eDrive syncing.

Picture do sync no matter in what folder they are. I created a Test Folder and put a dummy pdf in it but this did not sync. It is on my Nextcloud server at the top of the folder structure. @harvey186 told me that only Folder in Documents do Sync.
Pictures that I take are not in Documents but they do sync, why?

Actualy, I would like to sync my music folder between nextcloud and my phone. Therefore I connected my SMB Folder from my NAS with smbclient to Nextcloud. Now I have to finde a way to sync this folder between Phone and NC.

I’m not a fan of separate apps for doing this. So if this would be possible wo sync everything with nextcloud “nativly” that would be awsome.

Thans for the help

Sorry, you have misunderstood. Pictures, videos, contacts, appointments are also synced.

Okay thanks for the clarification.

How can I achiev that my music is going to be sync with my phone and my nextcloud?

Maybe mapping your NAS as a sub-folder of NextCloud Music folder ?

I did that with the External storage support
But it dosen’t transfer it to my phone.

Is there a way to sync a specifirc folder from nextcloud to my phone, directly with nextcloud?