Sending Group SMS Fails

Hello,
I have found that I am now unable to send or reply to group SMS conversations. I have no trouble sending to individuals.

The last successful group message I sent was on April 12. On April 18, I tried to send one, and it failed. I have not been able to send any messages to groups since. I can send a message to each of the individuals in the group, but not to more than one recipient at a time.

Does anyone know what would have changed between those 2 dates?

I have been keeping up with updates. I have tried rebooting the phone. I am on the same wireless plan as my parents, and they have no troubles sending group texts (they are not using /e/OS, though).

If it helps, I am using /e/OS 0.8-2020041649926 on a Pixel XL.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

@kiborg can you send MMS ? When I had problem with group SMS, I noticed i couldn’t send MMS either. Fixing APN parameters fixed both problems

Thank you for your reply.

Turns out that no, I cannot send MMS either. I looked at the APN settings and compared them to settings I found online for my provider, and they are different. However, I am unable to edit those parameters or create a new APN. I can only delete APNs or “Reset to Default”, which gives me the same parameters that were already there. Maybe I need to root the phone?

No need to root, you can edit the APN settings. I guess you just didn’t find how. If you can delete APN, you can create APN.

I guess I didn’t find out how.

Going to Settings --> Network & Internet --> Mobile Network --> Advanced --> Access Point Names

Brings me to a page that lists 3 access points. The one it seems I should be using is selected. My assumption is that on this page is where I would add an APN. I assume I would tap a + sign (as that is the convention when adding a configuration item), but there is no + sign on the page. My next guess is then that maybe it is an item in the menu, however the only menu item is “Reset to default”. I guess my assumptions about this page were wrong.

If I click on the active APN (or any APN), it brings me to a page titled “Edit APN”. My assumption here is that this is where I would edit the APN, however every item is greyed out with the exception of the item titled “APN”. Tapping on the greyed out items does nothing. Opening the menu, my only options are “Delete APN”, “Save”, “Discard”. So I guess my assumption that I edit the APN on a page titled “Edit APN” is also incorrect?

I will do some digging online to see if I can find a work-around.

I haven’t tried a multi message yet however I can NOT send photos. I was able to save most of the apn info however with one glitch. I am using this phone in the USA on a Tmobile network. I can make phone calls, have internet access via cell network, receive text and photo messages and send text messages. I can NOT send photo messages, which I use OFTEN. In the apn settings, the only setting that wouldn’t save is the MNC: 260. The phone defaults to MNC: 240 and if I try to change it to MNC: 260 it will not save, deletes all other fields, displays the text “access point name settings are not available for this user” and I have to start over. Are there any phone settings, ie admin, root, etc that would stop me from making apn changes? The Tmobile apn settings are the following. Please help. Thank you.

Name: T-Mobile
APN: Fast.t-mobile.com (for LTE devices) or epc.tmobile.com (for non-LTE devices)
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy:
MMS port:
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
Authentication Type:
APN Type: default,supl,mms OR Internet+MMS
Default Android provides a text field to enter: default,supl,mms.
Samsung provides an Internet+MMS radio button to select.
APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6 or IPv4 only when roaming internationally
Turn APN on/off: Grayed out unless there are multiple APNs
Bearer: Unspecified

You didn’t mention what device you are using. If it’s a Samsung I don’t know much there.

I have several devices on T-Mobile, all pretty much using the same APN settings.
I notice you have a “MMS Protocol” line with WAP 2.0. Over the years none of my devices have that so not sure what that’s about. A Sammy thing?

There are times when a default APN can’t be edited but usually one can add a new one.
The APN I use is mostly like below.

Name: T-Mobile US LTE
APN: fast.tmobile.com (the “-” was removed since the KitKat days, worked/works better with IPv4).
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMS proxy:
MMS port:
Authentication Type:
APN Type: default,supl,mms (sometimes with ia).
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4

With some ROMs/devices you may find a separate APN for MMS (as on my Axon 7). As such the MMSC will be blank in the main data APN.

Name: T-Mobile MMS
APN: TMUS
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMS proxy:
MMS port:
Authentication Type:
APN Type: mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4

On occassion I have issues with sending/receiving images but that’s related to VPNs and the like. Have to apply workarounds until it happens again.

On a side note, all of the devices except the new one (with 5G) have a T-Mobile IMS APN. IP Multimedia Subsystem, in theory that means support for VoLTE should be present. Maybe, as per this article last year, along with a way to test…

T-Mobile and AT&T will require VoLTE for calls after shutting down 3G

EDIT: Re-read your message again and missed the MNC 240 thing. 240 (freq GSM 1900) is apparently invalid/old/not_operational according to various sources. Can you create a new APN with 260 and see if it sticks?
Here’s a related thread from reddit.
MNC Stuck at 240 not 260: USMobile

2 Likes

Hi @marcdw if possible pl can you update the APN values that work here . That way it will be helpful for more users and be in one place.

1 Like

Oh yes. Will do. Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Hi marcdw, thank you for your reply, really appreciate it. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9 model SM-G960F. It is the one that is currently available for sale on the efoundation website for the US market. It is preloaded with and /e/OS, I don’t know which version of os. How do you check that? The root of my inquiry here was that I wasn’t able to send photo/picture messages. The phone would make/receive phone calls and text messages, it would receive photo/picture messages but it would not “send” photo/picture messages.

That list of apn settings I listed is from the tmobile website.
https://www.t-mobile.com/support/devices/not-sold-by-t-mobile/byod-t-mobile-data-and-apn-settings
I have re-entered the apn settings and re-started the phone multiple times and it still will only “accept” the mnc: 240 however now it works!

The only difference from the provided apn settings from tmobile is I set the “APN Type: default,supl,mms”. This was a suggestion from Shenol at helpdesk@e.email. I will post the complete working list in the apn values that work as pointed out by Manoj.

Also I see you’re located in Baldwin Park. I live in Brea and work in Downey and was wondering if you would be interested in talking or meeting about collaborating on a project. Are those Mastadon/Nerdica/etc. email addresses on your /e/support profile that I could send you an email?

1 Like

Hi Manoj, I have entered the apn settings that are working for me so far in [LIST] APN Values for Service Providers. I’m not a code guy so I hope I didn’t butcher the edit too bad. :sweat_smile:

1 Like