Sending MMS in Messages

I have a Oneplus 6 and am on Ver 2.1…
When ever I try to send a picture (Attatch a photo or Take a photo) using Message, upon pushing send I immediately get ‘Failed to send. Tap to try again.’
I receive pics just fine but can not send. My wife has a 1+6 with same version eOS and she can send just fine.
I have not found any differences in our phones and setting but I am not real knowledgeable.
When I try taking the photo it does save it to Gallery. Is it possible there is a problem in the file structure somewhere with something missing or moved?
Thanks for any help.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi @ronbillock,

The only stuff I could think about is MMS settings in message app or perhaps your data is not enabled?
Or a bug with the new version. In that case, it would be great/necessary to create an issue in gitlab (if nobody find the solution).

APNs for mms can have size limits for attachments. What are your current compression settings? You could try setting lower limits (300 or 600kb) in messages → settings → compression.

Is the behaviour different between selecting 1. an image in the messages text field 2. from Gallery to share via mms or 3. directly sharing through the Photo App?

2 Likes

Wow, that seems to have done it. My compression was set to Automatic. I changed it to 300 and both Attaching a Pic and using the Camera now work. Wow wow wow. Thank you.
I am now set to 300. I am not sure what this does. Is 300 better than 600 or other number or should I just leave it alone now?

Update - FYI I changed it to 600 and it also worked.

2 Likes

nice!

(I thought the hard limit (300-600) is a default now as it’s so common to be an issue… might be worth it to walk this up the source code to build options if this is a regression)

If you have any other over-the-top messenger (Signal, Whatsapp etc), the photos will be of much higher quality as 300-600kb isn’t too much for images coming in at 10-12M

I just went back and tried No Compression and 1000KB and 2000KB and they all failed. Seems that 600 is max for what works at this time.

1 Like

Not sure if this will work for you but I too was unable to send mms messages. I reset the apn settings and then I reset the internet settings. It worked fine after that. Make sure your operating system is updated because your carrier updates the apn settings through the updates.

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance but when you say ‘reset’ what do you mean both APN and Internet? Did you change it to something other than default or is there some reset capability?
Also what exactly did you ‘reset’ as I see a couple different selections that have APN in the title.
Not sure if it matters but I use Tello (T-mobile) in the USA.

In the apn settings menu, there is an option to reset the apn. Clicking reset will revert the apn to the original settings your carrier sent in the last update. So if you changed the apn settings in any anyway, that will be erased.

Then under network and internet, there is another option to reset internet settings. When I reset the internet settings, my mms started working again. Hope this helps. I’m not good at explaining things unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t know of those options.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.