Signal does not share my location

FWIW, a similar issue appears on some apps, like in Paris the one to guide you through bus and metro, labelled ‘Bonjour RATP’ : it works perfectly well, save the specific function “guide me from where I am”, which just doesn"t manage to detect one’s location.
This, even though OSMAnd is converged, and, for instance, the competing application CityMapper does find the location…
So, visibly, there are ways to solve the issue (CityMapper does it) but there are other guys that, well, probably use too much of those Google things that we avoid here…

[edit] that may also be related to the fact Signal uses Google maps to show you on the map, rather than Openstreetmap : maybe, the google map demands more relation go google than /e/ allows…

I checked this link and found a comment:

"This will be tagged with help wanted. So the people who believe in free Software can contribute.

It can make use of other maps…"

The last sentence may indicate that the use of Google Maps could cause the issue. As others in this forum recommended openstreetmap already, we may want to launch an enhancement request at Signal to use openstreetmaps parallel to Google Maps for MicroG enviornments. What I am not sure about is: does it make sense to open a feature request at Signal to add openstreetmaps or should MicroG emulate the call to Google Maps with openstreetmap to support multiple use-cases? I am afraid I do lack the technical knowledge to judge on what makes more sense… Does someone has a better understanding of this? I think we should not have open requests at Signal & MicroG. It should be one request only to save resources but what makes more sense?

I think it’s quite clear that Signal team won’t add support, but aren’t against if someone else does. That’s why they labeled it as “help wanted” IMHO.

Unfortunately I’m not programmer either, hopefully someone with know-how does help and offers solution to that.

Yes you are right, I missed that point. They asked for help. Maybe the MicroG Team is the right place to ask for this help since we don’t have the skills to do it our own. I can ask them if they are ok with this effort unless someone has a better idea?

I’ve sent an email to MicroG asking for help on this.

1 Like

Take this one works with microG and location sharing

https://www.twinhelix.com/apps/signal-foss/

3 Likes

Very interesting @kisman172 , thank you!
I’m now waiting for Signal-FOSS to get to my current version of Signal to switch :slightly_smiling_face:
-thanks again!

2 Likes

Kismans link to the OSS Version is a dream! Finally a clean signal with working location!
Simply backup then reinstall

2 Likes

Got feedback from the MicroG team: It looks like the issue is caused by a function called >snapshot< which is not yet implemented in MicroG. The function is using the Maps API to send a snapshot of a map as picture. I hope this description translates well.

An >Issue< was created to track this request. The effort associated with this shouldn’t be too much according to the MicroG team.

However they are busy now and can’t work on this. So, can anyone from this thread work on this with the information above? Does anyone here have an idea who to ask for help outside of this thread?

3 Likes

Once again, twinhelix version is working with microg AND location sharing.
What’s the Problem?

There is no problem, but I am not looking for a fork of Signal.

Hi @Aleks4e interesting research. My first reaction was that the snapshot feature would be unnecessary for me and as for their request for help if you were to add your research to their bug, drop snapshot might be a way for them to clear their bug.

Hi @aibd I will try this, it is a very good idea! However, I still hope someone will react to my former post asking for help…

Let me please correct my former post: The “issue” was not an issue but a request for enhancement.

OK
The twinhelix port works absolut fine

Can you be more specific about the enhancement you would like and from whom?

Hi @aibd sorry for the imprecise comment, I just wanted to correct my post where I used the term “issue”, which it is not… It is just not implemented so I thought a correction in wording makes sense. However, I think the request itself is still open:

“So, can anyone from this thread work on this with the information above? Does anyone here have an idea who to ask for help outside of this thread?”

In this thread it is established that this is a problem with mainstream Signal. It was tagged help wanted but maybe some there felt it was not important, it was closed and reopened. Help wanted is still there. You found a cause.

If you pass that along, that maybe just the help they need. I do not know, but they may tell you!

so somebody should fork microG? To have the snapshot feature available?
But you can also use the twinhelix signal port. works without snapshot feature.

Dear all,
the project team around MicroG is working on this. Please see the linked “issue” in my last post.

Thank you

2 Likes