Storage issue: gap between display (parameters/storage) and actual?

Hello to All

I experience an issue with my Galaxy S7 local storage. I use /e/OS 1.8.1-20230204257075-herolte.

Parameters/Storage says “Other applications” totals 28 Go (on 32 Go phone capacity). But, when I sum the storage used by each app displayed in “Other application”, the total is approximately 3,5 Go (apps + data + cache).

NB: last months I have been moving many apps to my SD Card to gain space. I thought the 28 Go may include such apps (even if it would be strange). I tried to remove some data included in apps on my SD Card (such as podcasts) but it does not change anything.

Any idea how to understand and/or solve this?

Cheers

I have relied on a old app DiskUsage by Ivan Volosyuk to get better info on the subject. On Android 10, for me, it throws a notification about being designed for an older Android version, however I find it works fine. It is however an Old School interface, rather than bells and whistles.

1 Like

Thanks @aibd. I like old school interfaces :slight_smile:

But I do not understand how to interpret this:

• “Stockage sur la carte” is French for “Card storage”. I guess this should not be understood in terms of “SD card” but in terms of “phone storage”. The problem is, my phone storage is 32 Go, not 24,4 Go. And the SD Card has much space (64 Go)
  • /media/Android is 90% filled of Spotify data, which has been moved to the SD card weeks ago…

Any idea how to understand this ?

I compared your image with 2 devices. I see the same sort of shortfall of overall storage size, which I put down to the OS.

In my case I have 3GB of “system” which I put down to 3 x saved old_updates.

On the other, regular Android, device the same block labeled “system” is nearly 10GB. It is an A/B slot device, so I guess this is again old_updates which I believe cannot be uninstalled on original Samsung.

So my first guess on your device – do you have old OTA updates – do they show up on System updater ?

Re Spotify, my wife says this is the biggest hog she has ! She goes to App and notifications > Spotify > Storage and deletes storage there regularly.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @aibd.

Not sure I understand well the sentence “In my case I have 3GB of “system” which I put down to 3 x saved old_updates.”:

• the block labelled “System data” (11.9 Go) is only 3 Go in your case?
  • “3 x saved old_updates”: do you mean they are the ones listed in Settings / Updates manager? If yes, may some of them be removed without any system regression?

I guess my last question echoes yours about old OTA updates. I do have 8 of them. May I remove some of them without consequence?

Spotify: I mentioned that because the app is on my SD card, so it should not be an issue. The point I do not understand is Spotify lies in the “Android” section (7.75 Go) on my picture above. Should I understand the “media” (10.8 Go) is the SD card?

And I still do not understand where my 32 Go are…

So yes old updates can be removed unless one happens to want to keep one for some good reason.

So I will add 2 images, the second is after removal of my 3 old saved updates.

We see there is still something left in system, not sure what !

I am not sure, but as my overall space shows as 10.8 GB out of a nominal 16 GB, I think this is the full OS @ 5.2 GB – compared with your 24.4 GB out of a nominal 32 GB would put your OS @ 7.6 GB (by the same subtraction).

No, that image, I think, is all “internal storage”.

Are you able to check this with DiskUsage ?

The next image I get as I start DiskUsage, so I choose if I am looking at Storage card = internal storage or secondly the external SD card.
Screenshot_20230326-213528_DiskUsage

Regarding Spotify, I think it might occupy 3 different locations … Things you deliberately store, App data, App cache (implied item 2 and 3, they chose to download to your device).

I don’t use Spotify, so this is very much a guess.

1 Like

Thank you @aibd !

Now I understand why I kept being out of storage dragging these old updates files :'-)

Isn’t it strange DiskUsage (great app by the way) does not show the “system”? Ok it’s not a partition manager (such as Gparted), but I hardly understand why the system does not appear. And why yours and mine differ so much anyway.

Actually no I cannot check the SD card with DiskUsage. Here is what I get:

Thanks for the suggestion about Spotify. Indeed it would make sense. If I find further information about where Spotify puts its data I would update here.

I don’t know how many hardware devices I have checked the capacity over the years and the manufactures nominal capacity is a certain GB, I check with Gparted and get a different number of GiB. Part of this difference can be accounted for mathematically, but often there seems to be an “Angel’s share” that cannot be accounted for !

I could reestimate the above from 5.2GB OS, to 4.2 GB OS + 1GB hardware error, perhaps.

I uninstalled DiskUsage and reinstalled from F-Droid. I now have v3.8, 2017. I wonder if the stage you grant permissions you did not grant for external SD card – that stage was a little non-intuitive on my device.

I guess Android does not grant permissions to scan the filesystem. Note in this image (from TWRP file manager) how we see

(sdcard is the Android name for the accessible area which we might call internal storage.)

interesting!

I uninstalled and reinstalled as well from F-Droid but have the exact same view: no SD card in this. Maybe some permissions denied at the first install are now considered “not granted” by default :confused: i have the impression the app did not ask me for as much permission as the first time, but maybe I am wrong

Ok I see “sdcard” using a similar app (OI File Manager), it indeed looks like what we call “internal storage”. I also have a “storage” folder (so do you); inside, there are two folders, “emulated” and “self”. Both points to the “internal storage”.

But I do not have any “external_sd” …

So does your SD card (the external one) show up within Files, the default File manager ?

No, it does not either. Do you think the SD card is simply not recognized by the system?

Actually I have never thought about looking at the SD card in a File manager; until now I have been using the SD card for apps only. Or maybe I thought I was using it. If I was not and in fact the apps were staying on the internal memory, then I do not understand what it means to transfer apps to the SD card. Maybe in that case it means “internal storage” (so confusing); anyway if this is the case, I do not understand the point of the feature.

Say 2 years ago, I am not certain, there were two ways of installing an SD card on /e/OS

The second method became problematic and was withdrawn …

Then users found that the problem might still exist. Ref Many builds are showing the option to use SD card as phone storage despite the support been dropped. (#5199) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

I wonder if you have some variation of this bad behaviour. I guess other open / closed issues could be found.

My guess is that your physical SD card is not showing as added to internal storage as you do not see that sort of capacity from what we have seen above.

Taking the SD card out might risk some loss of data, you might want to try to mitigate that danger first … but I would be inclined to take the SD card out of the phone.

Does the phone still work as expected ? Does the SD card have any useful data on it ?

Next, can you add a small clean / new SD card. Are you able to save data to it correctly ?

Next, can you make your 64 GB SD card work properly ? If necessary by formatting it ?

Just some rough thoughts of what I would be exploring !

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.