Support for FP2 to be continued?

Hi everybody,

I have a general question concerning the e/OS/ for the Fairphone 2 / FP2: Will e/OS/ continue to deliver software updates for the FP2? The Fairphone company itself will stop this support of their OS by the end of March 2023.

But we anyway run e/OS/ on our FP2, so we would be happy to use them a little while longer than just by the end of March 2023.

Thank you for your answer.

Just posted:

6 Likes

@urs_lesse

Thanks! I just saw it on Mastodon :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed, support for the FP2 will continue beyond the March 2023 date. We have a number of users till using the phone and would continue the support as long as it is technically possible.

6 Likes

Hello,
i am very glad to read that my FP2 enjoys further support of its /e/OS :slight_smile:
Nevertheless it didn’t receive any OS-update since 2. Dec. 2022. Is there a reason?
Another question, i have, is, where to find out, if there are workings on the Version ‘Q’ for FP2?

Regards and thanks for answers
Berlinuxer

What are you running currently? Please refer to [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc.

What do you mean?
/e/OS Q (Android 10) has been around roughly for a year on the Fairphone 2, with R (Android 11) being available for a while, too … https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP2/.

ah, yes sorry, someday i will learn to tell what HW and SW i’m driving :wink:
My systemsettings tell /e/Os 1.6-20221202239576 Android 11 from 2.12.2022. The build-number is e_FP2-user 11 RQA.211001.001.

My second question, eehm, i meant ‘S’ of course ;). (it seems i don’t know the alphabet :smiley: )

This is the latest Update - and works fine on my FP2 :slight_smile:

sure? On the site where the images be offered is a e-1.7-r-20230112250687-dev-FP2.zip downloadable. To be honest i am a bit confused, because in the past, updates were released monthly. The last update is almost two month ago. This makes me thinking, that support will be stopped eventually :wink:
You are right, all is working very well, i thought that security issues will appear and next update will care for it.

OK, i can be calmed down, /e/OS for FP2 will be supported in the future. That’s what i wanted to hear.

Thank you very much :+1:

“For at least one more year” (see link above).

/e/OS is based on LineageOS, /e/OS R is Android 11, this is the one year Android 11 will still be supported with security updates presumably.
This here applies …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/is-it-correct-the-fp2-may-not-get-android-version-11-lineageos-19/84322

This must be very very recent i.e. yesterday or the day before. I installed a second hand FP2 for a friend during last weekend and then e-1.6 was still the most recent version.

By the way: on my FP4 5G, e-1.6 also is still the most recent one.

So probably we will get the news to install V e-1.7 in the coming days. Be patient, alles wird gut :slight_smile:

By the way: the e/OS/ is by far more responsive and faster on a FP2 than the original FPOS with or without Gougle. Thanks for this!