Swype keyboard for /e/

I just installed /e/ on my Moto G4 Athene and I had been using the included Android keyboard for years in Resurrection Remix but I was able to drag my finger across letters to make it predict words. Another keyboard calls this SWYPE. Why did /e/ take this feature out of the Android keyboard?

I’ve read threads here where others want this feature as well. One thread said the AnySoftKeyboard would swipe but dragging your finger to get predictive text doesn’t work on my phone. This is something I’ve come to depend on. Is there another keyboard that does this predictive swiping?

Marty

1 Like

Flash the swipe libs zip from the Shadow53 website. This will make the aosp keyboard have swipe.

2 Likes

Did you activate the swipe feature in AnySoftKeyboard ?

Is this open source? That would be great!

Thanks for letting me know this as there are further tweaks after the setup which I didn’t realize as the app said I was good to go after setup. So once u just check the box for gesture typing it does swype. A screenshot is attached.

Maybe /e/ is working with an older version of the Android Keyboard? I’ve been using swype with it for years and thought it was open source since I’ve seen AOSP next to the name.

Marty

He takes the files out of what is in the gapps zip that enables the swipe libs. Have a look. Doesn’t install anything more google than these files. Not open source, I don’t think.

1 Like

This looks promising-here’s the site:

https://shadow53.com/android/downloads/swipe-libs/

Worked by Flashing (install) that file in TWRP. I have Moto G4 Athene and ARM CPU. I attached a picture and screenshot.

Marty

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve used this zip often. It makes a big difference.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know about flashing that zip file!

Marty

1 Like

You’re welcome, Marty.

Wouldn’t I loose Swype everytime I OTA update? As MicroG supports Swype (although not as default) it would be nice to have it permantly.

1 Like

Hello,
has something changed? I m using /e/ on Xiaomi Mi 8 and flashing the zip isn’t working,
Thanks,
Martin

1 Like

solved it! needed to edit install script to accept ro.build.version.release “16.1.0”.

2 Likes

Hello,
It didn’t work on Samsung A5 2017 /e/
No error message while wiping in TWRP.

The same zip worked on another device under Resurrection Remix

I’m wondering if there is not a conflict with MicroG

Thanks
Lio

I have the same problem.

In my S4 mini, it worked (I think it was /e/ Android 7)
In a Pixel, with /e/ 9, It didnt worked (but didnt show errors in script output).
In a Hammerhead (Lineage Android 10). It also didnt worked (without erros too)

The script output, in this last case, shows: “Detected Android version: 5.1.1”, but when I “adb shell” and “getprop ro.build.version.release”, It returns “10”, as expected.
The file /system/lib/libjni_latinimegoogle.so, that the script informed that was extracted, is not there.

Maybe I should modify the script and change the “9.0” (the script dont have a “10”) to “5.1.1”, but I would like to know why is it detecting my android version as 5.1.1. Any ideas? @Lio, your version is detected correctly?

This worked:

• download (pico) opengapps for your archtecture https://opengapps.org/
  • extract the zip package
  • in extracted folder “Optional”, extract swipelibs-lib-XXX.tar.lz (install lzip if you need)
  • in extracted folder “common/lib” now you have the libjni_latinimegoogle.so for your archtecture
  • reboot to recovery and, with twrp, mount system (there is an option in there)
  • adb push libjni_latinimegoogle.so /system/system/lib/
    (maybe in your case is system/system/lib64)
  • umount system in twrp
  • reboot now and it will work.
  • continue (in twrp and system mounted) as in the reddit tutorial below to make changes persistent in OS updates.
    (again in my case is lib (not lib64), so: sed '/^etc\/hosts/a lib\/libjni_latinimegoogle.so' 50-lineage.sh > 50-lineage.sh.backup)

Credits/source: https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/comments/gaf19n/gesture_typing_aosp_without_opengapps_oneplus_7/

1 Like