Test Pie Builds for the Redmis 3S 'land'

This build I created using the /e/ build infra is running ok on an old Redmi 3S I found lying unused!!

What you will require

• Redmi 3S update with latest stock ROM in this case MIUI v10.2.2.0 MAL…(check screenshot below)

if on /e/ official nougat build may require a flash using MiFlash… not tried that so cannot comment on it.

Steps I took to flash the build

Step 1 - Update the Redmi 3S to the latest stock build from MIUI

Step 2 - Checked dial in and out were working…had not used this phone for some time.

Step 3 - Downloaded the TWRP ver twrp-3.3.1-1-land.img from here

Step 4 : Did not have any data on the phone as it was not used. Nor did I have any pin or fingerprint set up.
Note: In case you are brave enough to test this build take a backup and remove any pin / pattern / fingerprints before flashing

Step 5: Enabled developer mode in the phone

Step 6 : Booted phone into Fastboot mode which is after shut down Power + Volume down. Once the Mi icon comes up release the power button while holding on to the Volume down.
The mi bunny will show up in the Fastboot mode screen

mi
Step 7 : Type below command in adb enabled PC

fastboot devices

This is to check the device is being correctly detected
if not try changing the cable or port. I had to do that and use a different cable to get the device detected :slight_smile:

Step 8 : Type below commands on adb enabled pc

fastboot boot TWRP

here give the complete name of the TWRP image file . This will load the TWRP temporarily in the phone

Step 9:
In the TWRP screen
Click Format button to remove any encryption . This will require you to type ‘yes’ a the screen
In the Advanced Wipe button click screen
I wiped System + data + cache
( i should have taken a photo of this screen as it is here that most mistakes are made while flashing :frowning: )

Step 10:
On PC type the below command

adb push e-0.7-p-2020031745626-test-land.zip /sdcard/ 

just typing e should get you the rest of the .zip file name …in case it is the only one in the folder
wait for the transfer to show 100% complete

Step 11:
In TWRP main screen tap install button…you should see the e-0.7… zip file in the list
select and drag the button below to install
Wait for the installation to complete

Step 12:
Once the installation is successfully done reboot through TWRP to system .
The first boot will take some time but you should eventually see the Bliss launcher on your screen

( i erased the IMEI details from the screenshot just in case you are wondering)

In case any of the users are already using Pie build for the Redmi 3S and are happy with it do let me know.
This device was not in the original list for upgrade devices. Now after seeing it working ok on Pie I am seriously considering adding it for official Pie support…

2 Likes

Nice guide, thanks :slight_smile:

As I understand, you didn’t flash TWRP, just booted from an image ?
Is there a reason to keep the original Xiaomi recovery, isn’t it dangerous if booting it (ie recovery detecting another ROM and locking phone) ?

I just use this phone for testing. You can try and flash it to the recovery area to keep it there.

Thanks for your reply !

Unfortunately I don’t own a Redmi 3S, but I will try this method when I’ll have to re-flash my Redmi 4X with stock ROM … Maybe when testing the official /e/ Pie for this device ? :wink:

As it is a test device, can you reboot into recovery ? I am curious to see what happens (will the Xiaomi recovery detect a custom ROM ?).

I had flashed TWRP while on the stock ROM as the recovery. If now I do a Reboot to recovery from within /e/ on the Redmi 3S I go to the TWRP recovery.

Well done, @Manoj. Even the radio app is integrated. FM Radio is a very praiseworthy feature for me as a passionate regional FM radio listener.

However, your statement that the Redmis 3S “land” is “not in the original list for upgrade devices” misleads me - although it is 1 of 92 smartphones that /e/ officially supports.

It has been posted in several other places that all these “e-phones” will be upgraded to /e/ OS 9-pie over time.

That is what I am targeting to get done.

1 Like

i’m downloading now i’ll report back after testing, few months back i requested for pie build visiting the forum after long time, thank you for the test build hope official comes soon

Works superbly waiting for pie official builds as lineage microg stopped updating builds most of user base look for alternative ROM /e/rom will be good option for many

Almost Everything is working… No issues found yet… Good work @Manoj . The launcher is nice But doesn’t support pie recents that is sad :confused:

@Manoj I’ll be installing this build tonight. As it seems from others feedback it is stable but if any issues are found I’ll forward you the logs.

So, I installed it, ran with it for a week and It’s amazing. Does not feel like a test build, In fact I’m staying with it on my daily driver! Awesome build!
@Manoj one minor issue is that it seems to be accepting updates from stable channel which is Oreo based. If someone were to accidentally update they’ll probably end up destroying their install!

The build is very perfect except for the fact that it’s failing the safetynet which leads to unusable banking apps and social networks such as snapchat. Can u please fix them in ur next build?

The battery works much better than in Oreo

I think Safetynet and snapchat both do not work on any of our devices. There are bugs around them .From what I know Snapchat needs Google infrastructure and would not work on MicroG.

Yes Snapchat needs SafetyNet, but MicroG isn’t able to bypass SafetyNet anymore (since around June 2019).

New unofficial build : https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=313283
Untested, I don’t own this device.

3 Likes

waiting for official pie builds android already moving forward with upcoming build 11, e rom team lags behind hope you guys catch up soon.

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

New build here : https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=8889791610682885738

UNTESTED, I don’t own this device !

Built with “community” /e/ Docker engine, using v0.9-pie tag (v1-pie branch).

roomservice.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="LineageOS/android_device_xiaomi_land" path="device/xiaomi/land" remote="github" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_kernel_xiaomi_msm8937" path="kernel/xiaomi/msm8937" remote="github" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_packages_resources_devicesettings" path="packages/resources/devicesettings" remote="github" />
</manifest>

muppets.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <remote name="muppets" fetch="https://gitlab.com" />
  <project name="The-Muppets/proprietary_vendor_xiaomi" path="vendor/xiaomi" remote="muppets" />
</manifest>

Build script

#!/bin/bash
docker pull registry.gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community
docker run \
-v "/srv/src:/srv/src" \
-v "/srv/zips:/srv/zips" \
-v "/srv/logs:/srv/logs" \
-v "/srv/ccache:/srv/ccache" \
-v "/srv/local_manifests:/srv/local_manifests" \
-e "BRANCH_NAME=v0.9-pie" \
-e "DEVICE_LIST=land" \