TWRP replaced by /e/ Recovery after install

Hi!

I have installed /e/ with success using TWRP in Samsung S9. Although now the TWRP has been replaced by the /e/ Recovery without asking. I need TWRP specially for backups

What’s the right way to have again TWRP instead /e/ Recovery?.

Is there any risk of malfunction or security concerns by using TWRP?

1 Like

Just flash TWRP again, I do it via adb.

1 Like

The switch is inclined to be seen in different places. Today in a Samsung running e-1.5-q I find it in Settings > System > Developer options > Update recovery

Is there any risk of malfunction or security concerns by using TWRP?

I have regarded as a weakness especially in Samsung and Android 10, encryption is mentioned in TWRP FAQ

See also

which now includes a link to this article published by TWRP today

… but TWRP backups work for me, but they are only part of my backup strategy, if a TWRP backup failed to transfer one day, I could live with it. I tend to avoid expecting a TWRP backup to move across Android versions or devices, but it works sometimes!

On other devices there are reports that TWRP backups are problem free.

3 Likes

thanks so much, very informative.

A main point to clarify: I have Android 10, That’s mean I will loose the phone encryption after installing TWRP?. . Or it only could affect to the backup files created by TWRP?

thanks!

I have a Samsung on Android 10. I have encryption turned off in Settings > Security. So TWRP works fine (mostly). Many other users have found that if encryption is on, TWRP does not work as expected.

No, TWRP will take a secondary role – only issue is risk of errors in getting the backup, my personal view!

2 Likes

what I have found, is how inside Setting → Trust , the option “Ciphered” only appears “enabled” when I choose a password to unblock the phone. In case of using a pattern, here appears like “disabled”.

I have found this behavior strange because in my previous Lineage OS, the ciphered was also enabled with a pattern. And then, when entering into the recovery mode the TWRP asked for that pattern in order to decipher the phone.

In short, now with /e/ I don’t know how to check if the phone is really ciphered in case of using a pattern. The Trust option shows the Cipher option like “disabled”, although this behavior seems to be buggy because as soon I choose the pattern authentication, there appears the Cipher like “disabled”. It doesn’t seems logical, I believe.

Is there some way to verify if the phone is ciphered beyond what shows that Trust section?.

thank you again!

Please describe it in creating a “new issue” under the backlog section of the /e/ gitlab
Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

In addition to “regular” Trust settings there are also two within Developer options (you might use the search facility within Settings). Changing these might give alternative permutations, perhaps?

no… in my Android 10 version there are not cipher options inside Developer Options. Only in “Security → Cipher and credentials”, and inside “Trust” section.

When I start the phone it doesn’t seem there is a decipher process when I compare the speed with my previous Lineage OS.

How can I check if the phone is really ciphered, to discard a bug in the interface?.

** I have found the solution. This adb command in the PC connection should return “encrypted”
adb shell getprop ro.crypto.type

and this command shows the type of encryption and more information:
adb shell getprop | grep crypt

[init.svc.uncrypt]: [stopped]
[ro.crypto.fs_crypto_blkdev]: [/dev/block/dm-0]
[ro.crypto.fuse_sdcard]: [true]
[ro.crypto.state]: [encrypted]
[ro.crypto.type]: [block]
[ro.security.fips_scrypto.ver]: [2.2]
[vold.decrypt]: [trigger_restart_framework]

thanks for the help, it drives me finally to the solution of this question.

Congrats for the /e/. It is light and works without any problem, and my battery lasts 2 days.
Amazing. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1: