[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] /e/ r Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (scorpion, z3tc, z3tcw)

Hi @petefoth
First, Thanks a ton for all the work you’ve done on this build.
I’m trying to refresh my old tablet and I was hoping to install /e/ on it to replace the old Android 6.
Do you still take questions in case I run into some issue when flashing the device?

I do, but it’s also worth joing the XDA Forums thread for LineageOS on this device

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-8-1-0-lineageos-15-1-unofficial.4540297/

People there have much more experience than me, and the first post has links to the recovery you will need

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. So far, I didn’t even manage to unlock the bootloader (as you mention in a post on the xda forum, it seems to be the hardest part). I found the right usb driver (it took quite a while), fastboot detect the device, but when sending the unlock command with the unlock code given by sony, I get a failed message. I’ll check on xda if they have a solution for this (service info says the device is unlockable).

Edit: Tried again this morning and it worked on 1st try…

1 Like

So. I managed to install PBRP Recovery and to boot into it. But I have no idea what to do.
In PBRP, I go to install, select the boot.img from the e-1.13-r-20230725-CUSTOM-z3tcw (that i unzipped into the device), I select System Image et Swipe to Flash but then if I want to reboot, I have a warning saying “no OS installed”.

I have no idea what I did wrong (or did not do).

Edit: My bad. I had used the file in the unzipped “e.1.13…” folder, when I had to use the zip file directly. I flashed it now, but for some reason, the battery wasn’t charging while plugged into the computer, so I turned it off and plugged it to the wall, waiting for it to charge a bit before turning it on again (it was litterally at 0%). I’ll update when I turn it back on)

Are your instructions Copy the .zip … ?

not needed

don’t care about it

Yes, my bad. I edited my message to include the correction. I didn’t use TWRP since I installed PBRP directly with fastboot (petefoth mentioned that it was probably unnessary to install TWRP after all and they were right). I could load the zip file into the tablet internal memory while in PBRP and install it from there.

Thanks for your input.

So. I restarted it but I get the Sony splash screen (with green-red-green led sequence), then the /e/ loading screen. But then the screen stays black with an orange led. And I can tell the screen is on since backlighting turns on and off when pushing the power button. And if I hold the power button, I get the option to turn off or restart the device. Maybe I should try another OS, like Lineage, to see if it’s a software issue.

Edit: I went back into recovery, wiped cached data, rebooted and it worked fine.

Glad you got it sorted with help from @piero - sorry I didn’t reply, I was away from my computer.

I hope you enjoy the ROM on your tablet

WARNING: I have this ROM installed, rooted with Magisk 26.1

Magisk offers an upgrade to 26.3 - as soon as I install this (tried several times) it ends bootlooping ending in recovery. Dunno what to do but since the ROM development ends here anyway (with /e/) I just switched off Magisk-updating for now.

Hey @petefoth1 I just flashed another Z3TC with your unofficial /e/ build, thanks for that once again!
On the weird side: I had to flash your unofficial LOS 4microg first…
And I remembered that I had to do this once already on another unit.
Have 4 or 5 of these great devices running in my family now :slight_smile:

And also interesting: on this one the app icons stayed to be the ones from /e/ and not the ones from Trebuchet which I use on the tablet. Once again thank you for that to Pete…

Hi @MaxO @Infinity @petefoth
The specs for z3tc state:

USB microUSB 2.0 (MHL 3 TV-out), OTG, magnetic connector

Are any of you using MHL at all? Does it work?

In my lager family are quite a few SONY TVs and so far I keep older Samsung S2 on stock with KODI as an app install, hooked do these TVs, which works just great. And I still have one Z3TC on stock for the same reason.

If MHL would work on /e I’d switch the Z3TC now, but so far I never got any LOS working with MHL, in +6 years.

As you can see, I also would have to ask, what TVs you got it to work – if at all.
Cheers

1 Like

Unfortunately I’ll not be able to help as I mostly use the Z3TC for reading comics. Never used a TV-output.

Sorry - I don’t know what MHL is - I can barely spell it :wink:

I hardly use my z3tcw - I really only have it to check that my unofficial builds (/e/OS, IodéOS, los4microg) will boot up. Sorry I can’t be more help

It’s a way of sharing/projecting your Android screen to a MHL-TV using a USB to HDMI cable. This has the benefit of no latency, like other WIFI based solutions.

And on top – maybe also not so well known – adds HDMI-CEC, which is when you use your TV remote to navigate e.g. a KODI box, the volume of an attached HIFI receiver or in this case, yes your Android OS(not in every aspect though).

(We managed to have someone, well +70yrs and without any internet, watch family photos just by putting the S2 into a docking station, during lock down times)

1 Like

One use case which gets overlooked, is MHL for Data-Recovery.

Using MHL on the TV and the TV remote, was the key to getting all family images and videos off the phone and receive a very important account info email.
Needless to say that screen did not respont to any thing.
(A bit of topic, I’m aware)

I was using MHL with the Z3TC in the past with an LG mini LED beamer, have to check the actual status though. Could take a little time, sorry…
Hopefully on the weekend!

1 Like

MHL doesnt work on my device unfortunately…

1 Like

Thanks @MaxO for testing