[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) e-1.3-q Post #212

just spent 30 mins trying to find a suitable website fo micro dev payments, but didnt find anything!
There was even a french one kisskissbangbang, but all too complicated. If anyone has suggestions shout

Or if you can contribute a bit of cash, he has a paypal donation link in his XDA Forums profile
https://forum.xda-developers.com/m/flamefire.5366259/#about

1 Like

I’ve no problem sending cash on a once off for something like this, but this could be a good opportunity to test group payments from the /e/ community. Maybe it hasn’t a hope of working, maybe people dont want to pay for things, but if it did work it could be used again and again in the future and the /e/ ecosystem would benefit from it.

Here are two possible group payment websites, no idea if they are suitable yet, but we could take them for a test run if the XDA dev signed up to one of them and sent a link for us to share in /e/ - eg with the title “XZ1C device for R testing” and amount €180 - (or whatever they estimate)

https://venmo.com
https://www.splitwise.com/

Interesting idea, but it adds complexity (for the developer who currently has a PayPal donation link)

He has posted that

I’m currently in contact with (another devleoper) who might be able to get his hands on a working device which he can donate. But always good to have a backup in case that doesn’t work out in the end. So thanks again!

So we can donate now via PayPal, or wait and see whether there is still a need

1 Like

I get that the dev has a paypal donate link, and setting up something else is hassle, agreed, but if /e/ community donate money using that url we would have no way of knowing if enough has been donated for the dev to purchase a device, therefore the donation might not achieve its intended goal, and we’d be none the wiser and out of pocket.

Maybe /e/ could set up a donation/funding facility to help the /e/ community to fund specific developments when needed / help with ad hoc fund raising. I dunno, just rambling now :beer: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Somehow, I’ve got MMS working again. I tried with WiFi Calling enabled, switched DNS to “Network” (:frowning:), and was able to send and receive.

Switched back to Preferred DNS, turned off WiFi, and it’s still working.

(Edit 1: I should add that I don’t know for sure if this is what fixed it; it might just have been a random tower reset or something. :man_shrugging:)

(Edit 2: When I powered up this morning, MMS had dropped out again. I was able to get it back, though. I tried the DNS switch/WiFi on, but MMS still failed. Finally I rebooted and switched to 3G. That did the trick…this time. Still working after resuming 4G/LTE.)

2 Likes

There’s a new v0.19-q build available for this device. This one is built by /e/ rather than by me, but you should be able to ‘dirty flash’ it over your existing data. I have actually done some testing on this release, mostly of the fixed ‘dark theme’ bugs. I would still backup your existing setup before installation though :slight_smile:

Release notes for v0.19-q are here

The build is available here:

[edit: corrected the link]

So does this build not have the Sony camera software?

It does have the Sony camera app as well as /e/'s own Camera app. From my limited testing it seems to be pretty much the same as my unofficial builds.

1 Like

@petefoth, I backed up data, wiped, installed, went through initial setup, restored, seemed to be going well, but then ended with this error:

Restoring Data (excl. storage)... extractTarFork() process ended with ERROR: 255

I rebooted, and now I’m stuck on the white Sony screen.
Volume Up + power button reboots, but back to the Sony screen.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Edit: OK, Volume Up + power button, hold, buzz 3 times, phone is off; Volume Down + power on… I got back to TWRP now. Will repeat the entire process (except backup) and see how it goes.

Rember to format data partition, not just wipe

Yes, that’s what I did. Everything seemed to be successful, but then I was stuck in a TWRP loop, and couldn’t boot the system. So now I’ve formatted and reinstalled. We’ll see how it goes.

Edit: So, I’ve repeated the process several times. No errors on Install. Once or twice I got an error on Restore. So repeated the process, got no error on Restore. Phone boots into TWRP no matter what I try.

I even tried going back to the previous build, but same result.

Edit 2: Well…I don’t know what the problem was, but I’ve successfully reverted back to 0.18-q, with data restored. Maybe I’ll try 0.19-q another day.

It seems to work for me.
I still have the issue with no numbers when I want the numeric pad during a call though. But otherwise no bug detected.

1 Like

Yes, that’s (still) a know issue that isn’t fixed in this release. Maybe v0.20 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,
I realized that /e/ browser doesn’t work. With each search there is this answer “sorry no results found”
I don’t know if it was working before because it’s been a while since I’ve used it.
Do you have this problem too ?

I’m sorry, but I don’t use /e/'s Browser: it’s not even installed in the Custom build I use on my ‘daily driver’ device.

I did see one report this morning that Spot search was down, and I believe that is the search engine the ./e/ Browser uses.

Sorry I can’t be more help

Ok thanks.
Can I ask what search engine do you use ?
I use duckduckgo but I’d like to change

On my phone I use Fennec browser with DuckDuckGo. In my laptops I use Firefox browser with Ecosia search engine. Adding Ecosia on my phone is on the to-do list :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried using /e/ search when I first started using /e/ but found it would return ‘sorry no results’ for a good few searches, so I stopped using it. I use duckduckgo but it relies on microsoft (search results) and amazon (ad revenue) … which is unfortunate.

1 Like

I use Startpage with IceCat Mobile browser (and NoScript + uBlock Origin!).
Works great.

1 Like