[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Unofficial Pi/e/ Community Build for Samsung Galaxy SII / S2 - i9100

Hi folks,

Is there any user of these builds? If so, could you give details about what works and current issues?

I would enjoy using it on my phone, but as it is my daily phone I prefer to check before.

Regards,
Yvan

There are many positive feedback in this thread !!

Are @LEPT @molej @Cys @yeti @Tintin @cedricsi @karlernst @arch @breversa @Chimpthepimp still using the device ?

You are right @piero, but feedback here is mostly about booting, which is a good start :wink:. Many issues can still be annoying: plugging/unplugging headset, battery drain, too slow, Wi-Fi disconnection, voice quality… I am impressed by all the hard work that has been done, but the list of possible issues is endless.

No, I’ve sold the device some months ago.

Original sources, coming fromrlNanDOand linusdan are also used here :

[ROM][UNOFFICIAL][9.0.0][r46][I9100] LineageOS 16.0 | XDA Forums

Known issues :

• Wifi works and connects, but no Internet. (Network unreachable)
  • Battery drain when Wifi-scanning is enabled (by default when installing GAPPS)
  • Camera doesn’t work
  • No SU, don’t know why…
  • Graphical glitches
  • Softboots or hang due bugs in HWC
  • VSync not working properly like in LOS 15.1
  • GAPPS is slow and crashes after connecting to Wifi
  • LiveDisplay not implemented
  • Sometimes graphical glitch at wake up (mDNIe related)
  • SIM pincode broke since build #13. Disable your SIM pincode before using this rom or have your PUK code standby.

It is one of my two spare phones.
It is “used” as spare not booted for a couple months but last i checked it worked incl important ID and banking apps. It is also much smaller than my Fairphone 3 which is nice.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your answers.

I installed build from @itsclarence (e-0.14, Android 9, see above) two days ago, and it works pretty well! For other people wanting to know if it can match their expectations, read ahead:

This phone is my only phone. I use it almost exclusively for voice calls and SMS/MMS. I use my Nextcloud server for contacts and calendar sync/backup. A quick comparison with LineageOS (14.1-20181004-NIGHTLY-i9100) I was using until now:

• everything is setup out of the box (appstore, geolocation, DAVx5, ability to run some proprietary apps)
  • did not try the default maps app because I like the offline features of OsmAnd~
  • It tried once geolocation and it seems to works perfectly (I could not find a way to use a geolocation provider with LineageOS)
  • phone does not seem to be slower than with LineageOS 14 (it is indeed slow when downloading over Wi-Fi, when using Osmand~… but not with “normal” use)
  • did not try to use it as an access point yet
  • could install a proprietary app for train schedule
  • can not install RadioDroid, it makes “App” crash just after download. Edit: Install works by after downloading the .apk manually from Fdroid website.
  • can not download files with the default web browser because it says that it can’t find SD card and I can’t change the path where it should save files
  • storage encryption does not work (as with LineageOS 14), it stops after a few seconds fortunately without breaking the phone
  • installed Fennec web browser, but it makes the phone crash immediately on startup

Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

I believe some of the issues I have seen come from the fact that /e/ is from december 2020 (0.14). I would really like to build a current version (0.18) but I am facing some problems with building (I am at ease with command line but not with Android) only by reading the official guide. @Chimpthepimp, @itsclarence, where can I find the manifest and build instruction?

1 Like

There is a feature for this in the developer options.

Thanks @piero for the hint! It is strange that it does not work without tweaking the developer options. Could someone give me the reason (I know almost nothing about Android)?

With your help I could install manually RadioDroid by downloading the .apk from Fdroid website.

I am still looking for the manifest and build instructions, I would really like to provide an up to date build.

Here are build instructions for i9100 in Lineage. With clues in the OP, this may not be too difficult as a starter project! It might be prudent to dry run your first /e/ build with a known working device!

Bon chance.

Thanks @aibd for the link. However it seems instructions are given for Lineage0S 14, because build for LineageOS 16 from rinando is also unofficial, and it still lacks the /e/ part. Also, I don’t know which modifications from rinando and linusdan I should add to the mix, and how to do it. I will need time and further reading to understand all of this.

1 Like

I can now also add that:

• the battery life is very bad, at least sometimes. For example, this night, in a bit more than 8 hours, battery level dropped from 100% to 44% while the phone was:
    • in plane mode
    • in battery saving mode
    • in network saving mode
  • Location sometimes does not seem to always work (I have never had a usual smartphone so maybe it is just normal)

Once again, below is a more comprehensive list of what works or not (changed battery life and added radio receiver).

For other people wanting to know if this build can match their expectations, read ahead:

This phone is my only phone. I use it almost exclusively for voice calls and SMS/MMS. I use my Nextcloud server for contacts and calendar sync/backup. A quick comparison with LineageOS (14.1-20181004-NIGHTLY-i9100) I was using until now:

• Everything is setup out of the box (appstore, geolocation, DAVx5, ability to run some proprietary apps)
  • Did not try the default maps app because I like the offline features of OsmAnd~
  • Assisted GPS works (I could not find a way to use a geolocation provider with LineageOS), but it seems that sometimes not.
  • Phone does not seem to be slower than with LineageOS 14 (it is indeed slow when downloading over Wi-Fi, when using Osmand~… but not with “normal” use)
  • Using the phone as an access point works
  • Could install via App a proprietary app for train schedule
  • Can not install RadioDroid, it makes “App” crash just after download. Install works if downloading the .apk manually from Fdroid website.
  • By default it can not download files with the default web browser because it says that it can’t find SD card and it is not possible to change the path where it should save files. To fix this, you need to enable the option in “developper settings” called like “enforce availability of external storage for apps”
  • Storage encryption does not work (as with LineageOS 14), it stops after a few seconds fortunately without breaking the phone
  • Installed Fennec web browser, but it makes the phone crash immediately on startup
  • The battery life is usually very good (up to 4 or 5 days I would say), but is sometimes very bad. It seems that once the GPS has been started, it never really stops unless you reboot. For example, in a bit more than 8 hours, battery level dropped from 100% to 44% while the phone was:
    • in plane mode
    • in battery saving mode
    • in network saving mode
  • RadioReceiver does not work with SpiritF (I did not try with LineageOS), saying that the “Tuner API did not start or stop. This device may need a kernel with o working FM driver”. Some people say that the FM receiver works with LineageOS, but I have read somewhere that it mike be because it needs Magisk and not the LineageOS way to get root (this is far beyond my understanding :slight_smile: )

Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Two more things:

• Phone is slow when searching contacts for writing SMS
  • Can not enable “vibration” when receiving SMS

I just discover what is a major issue for me: the phone can not send or receive MMS if data is not enabled (normally the phone silently enable data just to upload/dowload the MMS). Moreover, there is no way to know that a MMS is incoming when data is disabled.

I remember reading about similar MMS issue fixed since winter 2020/2021

Thank you for working on this :slight_smile:
I have this phone as spare. GSM eating up the power is not good…
But hey a lot of stuff you have working here, good job already :slight_smile:

Osmand~ is my favourite too.
Maybe exclude Maps and some other stuff to save space.?
And remove the infamous weather app and even when not configured its placeholder in Bliss eating up screen space.

Dropping MMS is not fun. On my FP3 i before had this problem, maybe related? APN settings vanishes and cant be set -> No mobile data, no MMS (#3462) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

Hi @piero
I received a new battery for this pone so I will re using it and test this new release.
Thank you :wink:

1 Like

Android 11 on S2, Crazy !!
Patching system image unconditionally … :sunglasses:

1 min later, it is booting …

1 hour later:
After 2 unexpeted reboots it run fine and so responsive, amazing !!

1 Like

@piero , yes, still using this device. It’s my spare phone, mainly used for sport tracking, GPS maps, with a dedicated SIM. I used to have my professionnel SIM on it but it was clearly slow when using Internet brower and mail (I now use a Glaxy S5 mini for this … also on /e/ !).
Battery life is also low but for sure this can be due to the age of this one (original one !).