Upgrade several android versions

I am running /e/ with Android 7.1.2 and want to upgrade. The instructions read Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android firmware.
Is 7.1.2 enough to upgrade to Android 10? Or do I have to install 8 first, then 9, and then 10?

Hi @foroso welcome

You really just need to check that it is the latest firmware that was ever available for your device.

The link I first provided was unhelpful :blush:

thank you :slight_smile:

I guess /e/ 7.1.2. does ship the newest firmware then?

When you download /e/ for your device you will get the latest version of /e/.

The foundation you build it on, must be the very latest version of Android shipped by the manufacturer. If your phone had zero history of attempts at customisation, then just checking that the phone is fully upgraded would be sufficient.

If you tell me your proposed device, I can try to help you confirm if you are good to go! :slight_smile:

I have a fairphone 2
Android version 7.1.2
System version 0.17-20210601117698

It seems like fairphone recently shipped Android 9 :thinking:
https://code.fairphone.com/projects/fairphone-2-official-releases.html

I have no Fairphone but at first sight I think you should follow Fairphone instructions to upgrade your phone to their latest version first

I already have /e/ installed - you mean switching back to Fairphone Open 19.x (Android 7.1), upgrade to Fairphone Open 21.x (Android 9) and then reinstall /e/ 0.17 (Android 10)?

I am sorry I missed

I already have /e/ installed

in your OP - please disregard all I said.

I wonder if a Fairphone expert can help me out.

Edit
I think that this is the page you have read:

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP2/upgrade

I understand that it has been produced from a template -sadly it generates uncertainty and does not answer your issue.

@Ingo_FP_Angel can you help me out here? and / or add fairphone . Thank you. :slight_smile:

If you were on the latest version of the stock Android 7 from end of 2019 before installing /e/ you’re fine. There was no new firmware after that, the Android 9 upgrade only is the OS that’s fully replaced by /e/ anyway.

Other than that I think this still holds:

2 Likes

hm, I don’t even remember if it was Android 7 - I only know, it was the most recent version from FP

what would be the worst that could happen?