Week 02, 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

v 0.21 testing

• To start on 10 Jan. Builds were run over the weekend. In case of any build failures, there might be a slight delay of a day or two for the testing to start as we will have to rerun the builds.

• v0.21 milestone

• To include the Nougat and R builds which were not released as part of v0.19 or v0.20

• A testing cycle typically takes about 2 weeks. Post successful testing, we release the build on dev channels. After a week it goes out on the stable channel.

• :spiral_calendar: ETA for release to all users on dev: Last week of Jan (?)

ETA is considering a successful testing cycle with no blocking issues.

To understand difference between the channels read this guide

Update 11 Jan Internal testing of v0.21 in progress. Once the /e/ QA team approves the build, we will send it to the Testing team for their testing. Expect the build to reach the testing team by the end of this week.

v0.20

• Released
    • Q
    • Pie
    • Oreo
  • Not released (due to build issues)
    • Nougat
    • R
  • Log

Oreo release notes for v0.20 are missing. Will ask team to update.

OS OTA Upgrade of S9 / S9+

• :spiral_calendar: ETA: Last week of Jan(?) 2022 along with v0.21

ETA is considering a successful v0.21 testing cycle with no blocking issues.

Development Tasks

A summary of issues dev team is investigating or working on

• Frequent crashes of Bliss launcher
  • Refactoring eDrive
  • Updates to microG Application
  • Contact groups not syncing with eDrive
  • Update MagicEarth app
  • Update Mail App

This is a tiny subset of what the team is working on. Some of the tasks are still under investigation and need to move to the development and testing phase.

/e/ R rollout

• Closing the first set of releases as planned in the Release plan

• Upgraded : 81 existing devices
    • Added : 61 New devices to the supported list

Builds that Failed

• Xiaomi POCO F3 / Redmi K40 / Mi 11X (alioth)
    • Google Pixel 4a 5G (bramble)
    • Google Pixel 4 XL (coral)
    • Google Pixel 4 (flame)
    • OnePlus 8T (kebab)
    • OnePlus 9 Pro (lemonadep)
    • Google Pixel 5 (redfin)
    • Xiaomi POCO X3 Pro (vayu)

Most of these devices were released on Android 11. We had the build failure on these devices only.

:nerd_face: Why they failed and the solution we came out with

As you may be aware, these builds failed when compiled using /e/ code. As a solution, we have made a significant change in our source code. We will now be using the SDK used as an industry standard. This will be a gradual change. We are putting out some documentation to understand this. Will share more details when it is made available to me.

:spiral_calendar: ETA : Last week of Jan, (?) along with v0.21.

:disappointed: The one device we have removed from the build is OnePlus One bacon. We had multiple partition size errors while build for it. Will have to take a call if we can continue support for this device or stop it on nougat and put a flag in our documentation, mentioning it is no longer supported.

:loudspeaker: This year we will come out with a new list which will have names of devices we will upgrade the OS on or new devices we will add to our supported list.

FP4 /e/OS phones

Later today, we expect to start the sales of the FP4 /e/OS phones. We will come out with a detailed announcement on this.
The stable v0.21 R build is available for download now.
The dev v0.21 R build will be available once testing is complete for all devices. ETA for dev release available in the ā€˜v0,21 testingā€™ section above.

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

13 Likes

0.20 is not showing up as an update on my eshop Samsung S9 phone. When I manually check in the system preferences if there are any updates, it just say ā€œno updates availableā€. (I am currently on 0.19 and updates have worked flawless in the past.)

just better wait for the release 0.21

The message seems to be correct.
As your phone comes from the e foundation, it should be on the stable release channel, and 0.20 stable isnā€™t listed yet for the S9 (starlte) ā€¦ https://images.ecloud.global/stable/starlte/.
I donā€™t know why, though.

Thanks. I am in no hurry! (In fact, I have never noticed any usability differences in any of the updates, with the exception of the introduction of dark modeā€¦).

Nevertheless, for these weekly updates, it would be helpful if they could be categorized as ā€œdevā€, ā€œstableā€, and ā€œeshop phonesā€.

Hi Manoj, I am new to forum. First, I would like to extend my thanks to all the people behind the e foundation ā€“ your work rocks!!

Is there any more information on the topic? Like logs, bug ID etc? I have a bacon device and I would love to see it supported in future. Can I help in anyway? I can run test on device for example.

Thanks.
-aad

2 Likes

You can try an install of latest versions Info about OnePlus One - bacon

Hi aibd,

You can try an install of latest versions Info about OnePlus One - bacon

I have latest version (0.19) installed here. AFAIK there is no newer build published yet. Of course I could try and build it myself, but I have so little free time available. This is my educated guess that there are newer build available, internally of course. I am willing to test those if that helps in anyway.

So this was the announcement:

OnePlus One bacon. We had multiple partition size errors while build for it. Will have to take a call if we can continue support for this device or stop it on nougat

ā€¦ the implication is that there will not be ā€œinternal newer buildsā€ ā€¦ but more study of the subject might be rewarding for you. It is users and reporters who can keep a device alive! https://doc.e.foundation/testers

Getting Started on /e/OS

The v0.20-nougat builds were not released publicly because of some device-specific errors. Reading the first post in this thread, it is planned to release the v0.21-nougat builds after they are tested which is likely to be a couple of weeks after testing starts. So you should get a v0.21-nougat build for your bacon if you can wait a bit longer :slight_smile:

More than testing, it is the build process that is failing. The device does not have enough space to store the complete build. While building the ROM, we get this error. We tried multiple combinations by reducing the default application or what is known as the MINIMAL_APPS, but even that did not work for the Bacon. For devices which do not have a dedicated Maintainer, there is a limit to how much time we can spend on them.

1 Like

Ah OK. So v0.19 is the latest that will build, and the v0.20 changes took even the MINIMAL_APPS ROM over the available size. Looks like this feature request needs to be implemented :wink:

Something along those lines is on my to-do list!

1 Like

As a proof of concept a NEAR-ZERO_APPS specification for a Custom build would interesting to test.

The would be the /e/ Core described in the gitlab feature request

/e/ Core would need to include a minimal set of default apps, and a means of installing others. To minimise unnecessary work, /e/ Core could include the launcher and default apps (including F-Droid) that come with Lineage OS for microG, on which /e/ is based.

I have an idea how to do that, and it is on my to-do list :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Manoj
There are two versions of Bacon with 16 and 64 GB storage space. I have 64 GB one. Its /system is 1.2 GB in size. It looks smallish for sure. Presently about 172 MB space is free. I would guess 16 GB variant might have allocated about the same space for /system.

Is it possible to repartition block device? I suppose the best way forward would be to increase /system, letā€™s say by 500 MB. Was this option considered?

@petefoth what do yo have in mind?

Iā€™ll reply in the dedicated thread (and apologies for hijacking this thread)

1 Like

The developers tried a lot of different options, but it did not work. You can take this up in the post @petefoth created. Ideally, create an unofficial build using these suggestions and test it out. If it works, we can pass on the info to the developers and add it to the devices.

1 Like

One more thing for the to-do list :slight_smile:

I just bought a TerraCube 2e and update to 0.20 immediately. About 0.21 build I would like to know if the e.foundation phoneā€™s always get OS update the first ?

There are two types of builds. Dev and stable. Dev goes out to all users. Stable build is the dev build released after a week of user testing. Stable builds are flashed / released OTA on the devices we sell.

Read more about the differences between these builds by clinking on the link shared in the initial post.