Week 07. 2022 : Development and Testing Updates

v0.22

• QA Testing to start this coming week
  • After the internal QA team testing we will release it to the community testing team. Once they clear the build it goes out to all users.
  • For a list of issues and updates that will be coming as part of v0.22 please check this link
  • Some issues will be marked as confidential and not be visible to all users

v 0.21

• The following versions of /e/OS in v0.21 have been released

• R or Android 11
    • Q or Android 10
    • Pie or Android 9
      • Stable builds are also being released for devices we sell on the eSolutions Shop
  • FP3 pie stable build has not been released as yet. Team checking on this.

• If any device on these OS versions is still not released on v0,21 pl let me know and can take that up with the team

• Awaiting release

• Oreo or Android 8
    • Nougat or Android 7
      • Delay is because there is an issue with Magic Earth App on the Oreo builds and Account Manager app on the Nougat builds. Issues detected during testing post initial builds. Team working on resolving these issues
      • :spiral_calendar: ETA for the Oreo, Nougat release to be shared
        Update 19 Feb Builds have failed for a number of devices. The team will be clubbing the releases along with v0.22. Will share ETA in next weeks update.
  • Release notes available here

:information_source: Difference between the dev, test and stable builds read this guide

OS OTA Upgrade of S9 / S9+

• Release was sent out to all users.
  • Some issues have been reported by some of the users who got the upgrades…this has been shared with the dev team and will be investigated and resolved.

:crossed_fingers: Hope to build up on the learning from this exercise to develop upgrade builds for other devices. First preference would be devices we sell on the eSolutions Shop. No ETAs as of now for this activity.

Development Tasks

A summary of issues dev team is investigating or working on

• Bliss launcher upgrading and existing issue resolution
  • eDrive refactoring
  • Updates to microG Application
  • Contact groups not syncing with eDrive
  • Update MagicEarth app
  • Update Mail App
  • Updates to the AppStore

This is a subset of what the team is working on. Some of the tasks are still under investigation and need to move to the development and testing phase.

Some important device specific announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290
We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.
:loudspeaker: Teracube 2e
Users, please be aware that as of now the 2e is only compatible with Android 10 or /e/ Q build. This information is also shared on the 2e forum and on the /e/ install guide

:crossed_fingers: Efforts to port new devices continue and details will be shared once we have working builds available.

:loudspeaker: Users and folks browsing this forum, please note vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices. The vendors only sell their devices with their stock ROM. To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.
This message has been put here as per a request from one of our vendors who users are requesting for /e/OS phones.

This post will be updated through the week

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

14 Likes

Hello and thanks for sharing work in progress.

No more GSI build ? Or later ?..

Thanks

The developer has bandwidth issues, tied up in the releases of the various builds for testing. He will get back to releasing the updated GSI once he is free. No ETA’s for now.

3 Likes

v0.21 stable still isn’t available for the S9. https://images.ecloud.global/stable/starlte/

When will it be available?
Also could you please confirm that when it will be released I will finally be able to use the easy installer on the S9 I bought more than one year ago when /e/ has been upgraded to android 10 for the S9 or will there be a new unexpected reason for /e/ team not to actually support it with the easy installer?

Thanks for raising these points. Have discussed with the team and raised 2 issues to address both the points

3 Likes

@Manoj
Hello Manoj,
In the preceding you wrote that all v 0.21 updates have been published.
I won’t be a whiner, but the version for my e-shop FP3 with Pie stable, is not yet available, in my updater. I hope you can provide a solution.
Regards, Huib

Hi @huib43 I have mentioned the Pie stable build not being available in the initial post. Unfortunately, some builds were failing, and the team is working on trying to get them to work. Will update here once I get any input from the team.

1 Like

shouldn’t this also be at list of issues? (especially when theming seems to be solved at upstream)

1 Like

Hi @Manoj , Thanks for your reply. My problem was the word “due” you wrote.
In my dictionary there are multiple meanings for the word “due”.
I didn’t know what the correct translation was. But now it is clear for me. Thank you.
Regards, Huib

I corrected the statement. Will update in case the stable FP3 pie is released, if not today it will be pushed as part of v0.22. Tentative ETA would be end of this month.

Thank you for your effort but strangely enough v0-21 still isn’t available for the S9 thus it still remains unsupported by the easy installer unlike what has been stated for way more than a year now. I’ve checked the issues and surprisingly nothing has happened there since you opened them… I really don’t understand why since both of them could be addressed really quickly as they do not require hours of work.

Correcting at last this long lasting incoherence should be among /e/'s top priorities, if not for the people who have bought a S9 a long time ago (more than one year ago in my case and I know I’m not the only one) trusting /e/'s word that it was supported by the easy installer, at least for the project’s credibility since the inaction and lack of consideration about this issue revealed to the team more than one year ago really is unbelievable (not to say shameful).

I really hope that these two issues will be addressed these next days and that it will finally be possible to use the easy installer with the S9 by then.

A couple of device builds have failed. The team is planning on fixing and releasing them as part of v0.22. The Easy Installer will need to be updated to be able to handle the OS upgrade builds. Will share any plans and ETA for updating the EI in these weekly updates.

4 Likes

There are many returns for S9 upgrade but none about S9+. Are they so different that an upgrade can be right on one and not on the other?

1 Like

Looks like I was right to expect a new set of unexpected reasons to prevent easy installer support. It’s the same thing over and over again. At this point I don’t know whether to cry or to laugh. It has been more than a year that you let us believe that the easy installer is just about to support again the S9 (S9 stopped being supported by the easy installer when samsung updated their S9 to android 10) and it is still not the case.

At first it was because /e/ version for the S9 was still android 9, then (more than a year ago!), /e/ android 10 has been released for the S9 so I bought a S9 to flash it with the easy installer only to be told that it was actually the testing version of /e/ which has been upgraded to android 10 and that the stable version was still stuck on android 9. I thought it would be solved quickly by letting us actually flash the testing version (that has been reported totally functional) but no, /e/ team simply refused to let us flash the testing version with the easy installer and they actually did nothing about it for a whole year… Now /e/ stable for the S9 is actually android 10 but the S9 will remain unsupported by the easy installer for god knows how many additional months.

I perfectly get that gael duval chose to divide the for profit and non profit activities and that /e/ is a project that will remain in beta (unlike what has been announced) for most of its existence. I know that things are more convenient this way and I’m fine with that. He is free to manage his project as he wishes. So no judgement for /e/'s many development problems but at least be honest and straight forward with your users. It’s really the least you could do. You shouldn’t have fooled people into believing the S9 was actually supported by the easy installer (as stated on your website). It would have prevented people from wasting their money and getting frustrated.
Now I really wish I had bought a pixel 3 instead of the S9 I’m stuck with and installed GrapheneOS with their automatic installer.

1 Like