Week 09 2024: Development and Testing Updates

/e/OS got a new version every month for a while now … https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases … so 1.21 in March, possibly.

Hi Manoj,

thanks a lot, this is great news! Unfortunately it doesn’t show up on my phone (s7 on 1.17.1, stable, herolte). Pushing the refresh button and a restart of the phone didn’t help…might waiting a little bit be the solution?

Push it more than once or atleast 4 times

2 Likes

Thanks, I did so, didn’t help.

same here so far, I´ve been refreshing over and over again for some time now and tried again every once in a while …
It took some time until the updater found updates in the past as well - so I simply keep trying.

1 Like

The s7/s7+ builds coming as part of v1.20 should be visible soon. The rollout as mentioned is a staggered one.

3 Likes

Thanks for information!

Upgrade is available now - another big thanks!

@manjo: Only for stable or dev too?
Last dev is 1.17-q

So for FP4, we need to wait 1.21 to have Android T.

1 Like

…maybe this is the right place to ask this question as we are already talking about the S7 upgrade.
I need some guidance to better understand the term adoptable storage.

There´s a warning when I am about to start the upgrade saying:
“… if you have been using Adoptable Storage, upgrading will lead to data loss and SD Card corruption, including internal storage. …”

Now I have NOT installed any apps onto the SD card.
But I have told some apps to save their automatic data backup files onto the SD card.
Organic Maps maps files are also saved onto SD card.

Am I using “adoptable storage”?

(I am aware that before upgrade it is recommended to backup whatever possible…)

One way to tell is with Files app.
If the SD card is showing with a working Eject icon, then the card is portable storage, that is external, not a problem.
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/a-little-guide-to-using-sd-cards/37297

2 Likes

Thank You @aibd ! - looks like I am safe to go.

Pl note the release end date has been extended to 4 March

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer! But as far as i know, OTA upgrades from one to the next android version are only made for stable builds, the Samsung S10 is on dev, there is no stable build…

I should have been more careful… I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S7 (G390F) to v1.2, without paying enough attention. Now my SD card (used as internal storage, for apps) is seen as corrupted.

Any chance going back to v1.17 (still locally stored) make Android see the sd card as working (not corrupted)?

And thanks for this upgrade – it looks great! It is really nice that S7 and other not so recent devices still gets dev and support

2 Likes

Maybe sleep on what is the biggest risk. I am uncertain. Downgrade is often problematic, you might find yourself in an unstable situation. I am not sure of steps to minimise risk.

Should you attempt to remove SD card (phone fully off), did you already have experience of that before when we discussed the issue ? Would the phone boot with readable internal storage in this condition ?

Do you have some backup of essential data, could you contemplate a Factory reset with SD card removed ?

Have you already any experience of trying to read or back up the SD card on PC ?

Does reflecting on the contents of https://forum.fairphone.com/t/a-little-guide-to-using-sd-cards/37297 help ?

Edit There are lots of reasons NOT to do this. I am aware of adb shell commands you could run from the PC. The command you should research is sm set-force-adoptable on; I never even wanted to try it! :slight_smile: You must find the commands to test the status of adoptibility first. This is the idea at XDA https://xdaforums.com/t/setup-sd-card-as-internal-storage-adoptable-storage-on-y700.4648941/

Maybe this would be worth considering as a temporary measure, but only if you had a target to backup some essential data quickly, no further use of the phone over say 24 hours and then have an undo strategy as this is increasingly not the way to run the card on a modern Android version and clearly developers have endevoured to disallow it.

1 Like

I was beleive that the “SDcard as internal” feature was removed some years ago to avoid that disapointed situation ?

Unfortunally you haven’t seen the warning

Thank you very much for this very useful directions and suggestions @aibd . I will reflect on all this during the next days. For now, I am using my phone only with the apps I can - the ones that are installed internally.

I am glad that pretty much all important data has been routinely backed up!

It’s sad Android does not easily allow to install apps on an internal storage anymore.

In my case storing apps on an SD card is only driven by a lack of internal storage @piero . It is quite useful when ones phone does not have enough internal storage while apps keep getting bigger. I agree I should have pay a better attention to regressions related to this “choice” – even though I did not see any satisfactory alternative apart from limiting the number of apps I use drastically.

Thanks again to all for the nice work and assistance!