Week 48, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

@Manoj When will the ‘S’ build be available for Redmi Note 5 pro (whyred)?

Unfortunately, the whyred does not have a dedicated maintainer. Plus, LineageOS has also dropped support for the device, which makes future OS upgrades on the device difficult.

1 Like

This is not the case for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac). I have installed Android S builds on /e/OS and Lineage for Microg over earlier Android versions, without needing to return to stock. Probably because the most recent stock ROM for this device is Android 9.0 (Pie)

Does this mean all data will be wiped when upgrading from 1.5-R to an S build (on FP3 if it matters)?

EDIT: I mean, I’m perfectly fine using the current 1.5-R stable build. I just want to avoid another Android version being EOL’d sometime in the (probably far) future and having to wipe my device again.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s relevant in this case, but I have just upgraded my FP3 from /e/ 0.23-pie to 1.5-r-stable last week without it requiring a return to the stock firmware / OS in between.

Hi, do you think the murena one jump to 1.6s or 1.6 and stay at R version ?
Thanks

If you are asking if the Murena One would get an OS upgrade to S then the answer is yes. The next point when the version jump would happen is what is yet to be decided. It will not be with v1.6. Will share details of when we will release the device OS upgrades (OTA where possible) through these weekly updates.

2 Likes

Please, and the S9+ ?
Arnaud

1 Like

I am sorry but I do not get the difference between /e/OS “S” and 1.5

“S” is the Android version …
and 1.5 is the /e/OS version … e/OS + Android OS version names and numbers? - #3 by aibd

3 Likes

We may release v1.6 this year instead of early 2023. Check the details in the initial post in this thread.

2 Likes

1.5.1-s was released for several devices, but https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases/ doesn’t list it (mentioned here).

Typo:

Is your bootloader open or closed?

I too look forward to Samsung S9 being upgraded to S.

With the successful trial of OTA updates on a few models, when will all devices be supported with OTA updates?

OTA updates and good backup software will take e/os into the mainstream and stop it being only a niche product.

2 Likes

Let’s stick with the term “upgrade” for this, else it tends to get confusing.
(Every supported device gets OTA updates within the same underlying Android version.)

a) With the current extensive list of supported devices … Never.

b) As soon as “all devices” becomes a list narrowed down to the devices which the /e/OS developers can support with OTA upgrades. Preparing and testing OTA upgrades is complicated and a lot of work for every single device.

With a reliable and easily usable backup software taking the sting out of factory resets or installing from scratch, OTA upgrades could become unimportant.
I somehow doubt it’s possible with Android, else it should exist already.

2 Likes

I locked my bootloader after upgrading to 1.5-R-stable as to be able to use my banking app.

Then you will need to wait for the eventual upgrade OTA to S. With a locked bootloader you are not able to sideload anything.

An issue has been opened around this.

1 Like