Week 6. 2023: Development and Testing Updates

Selfhosted Murena Cloud get upgrade to Nextcloud 24 :smiley_cat:
Releases notes: Releases · e / infra / ecloud-selfhosting · GitLab

1 Like

Thanks, @smu44 updated in the main post.

1 Like

It might be a good idea to add a facility into /e/'s OS update check so users will receive a notification when their system no longer gets update support and, if applicable, what to do in order to fix the problem. Same when there is an update that can only be flashed manually.

To my knowledge, commercial phones manufacturers don’t commonly do this (not even Apple, who would have a welcome opportunity to generate more device sales and e-waste that way).

Regular users who don’t read forums or tech news won’t be aware that their devices are vulnerable unless they are told explicitly by their device.

7 Likes

Not sure how much of an effort that would require, all the same, have passed on the feedback to the team.

4 Likes

Is test release released on all devices (if at testing repo), ot only some selected ones?

If you mean 1.8.1, Manoj edited his original post in the meantime, the release has been made available to regular users by now. See Feedback for v1.8 for some first feedback and devices which got it.

A question about the Notes app: The version is still 1.0.1. As you know, it is a fork of Nextcloud Notes by Stefan Niedermann. The original app gets regular updates and is already at 3.7.1.
Can I see which version the fork is based on?

I meant test release in general. I have enabled test channel on my device developer settings, but no updates. I’m still in 1.7 dev. Might turn test channel off, if not all devices will get those.

Reason I enabled test channel was to be able to check translations and fix if needed if those changes would even be used in final release…
But I can continue without being at test channel.

1 Like

It’s funny: even if the 1.8.1 is available here :
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/xz2c/
The updater on my phone can’t find the new release…

It is a staggered release. It will take a couple of days for the complete device roll out to complete. Also, at times the 4 refresh trick works.

3 Likes

Ah yes ! I did 5 refreshes and it comes up! Thanks for the trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

If that does not work, you can still sideload since not stable and locked bootloader :wink:

GSI v1.8

Many thanks for continuous GSI development, /e/Team :+1:

Can someone answer my question please?

The /e/ fork of Notes is here:

You could check the revision history there to find out when changes from upstream were last merged into the master branch. I couldn’t see anything obvious, but you may have better luck

Looking at Close issues with the /e/ Notes app, I see this

which is about Update Notes to Nextcloud Notes v2.12.1

1 Like

Quote:
Current upstream version

v1.0.1

Targetted upstream version

v2.12.1

My version is still on 1.0.1!

Easiest workaround is just to install the upstream NextCloud Notes and Sync client apps (from F-Droid or App Lounge) and use them instead of /e/'s out-of-date forks. No need to uninstall or disable the /e/ versions (though i would turn of file / photo sync in /e/'s account manager). The upstream apps an /e/'s forks co-exist with few problems

Show 1.5.1s for me. Should be 1.8.1 I guess

Any plans for more up-to-date security fixes in the coming updates?

:smiley: Sorry. It should be v1.8.1 and not v1.5.1 Have asked the team member to correct ASAP.

1 Like