When /e/ say their OS is "De-Googled" - what exactly does that mean specifically?

I read this post - but its too vague of an answer to the question:

I also read:
https://www.theverge.com/2022/5/31/23144917/murena-one-smartphone-degoogle-android

This was very valuable info as well about firebase:
https://github.com/microg/GmsCore/issues/1508#issuecomment-876269198

When /e/ say their OS is “De-Googled” - what exactly does that mean specifically ?

Does that mean:

A. That all the normally pre-installed google apps have been removed ?
examples (YouTube, Google, Google Maps, GMail, Google Drive, Google TV) etc etc

or does it mean

B. All of A (above) and also the removal of all the google services and internal OS google services and API’s ?

Also What about Knox ? - is that also removed ?

How does /e/ compare to iode OS in this respect ?

Thank You :slight_smile:

https://doc.e.foundation/what-s-e

Well this is what e.foundation has to say on the subject

Thanks for that info

Thank you for that info

The combination of the info you posted with the above links helped me out

Manoj
/e/ support
Feb '19
@dln949 De-googling is a term used to mean any organization that would be secretly stealing the user’s data. Just like ‘googling’ is a term used to indicate a web search or Xerox is used as a term for photocopying documents. It is logical that when we in /e/ maintain that we are de-googling our OS we would be checking for any apps or lines in the code which could be sending out user data. It is not restricted to google or Amazon but any organization.

• I take it thats a little ‘Japer’ there, lol

ChatGPT (May 24 Version) response to What is \e\ and what exactly “De-Googled OS" means ? question:

The term "\e" refers to the e Foundation, an organization that develops an open-source mobile operating system called /e/ (pronounced “eelo”). The goal of the /e/ project is to provide a privacy-focused and de-Googled alternative to mainstream mobile operating systems like Android and iOS.

When we talk about a “De-Googled OS,” it means an operating system that has been stripped of Google’s proprietary services and applications. These services typically include Google Play Services, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Drive, and other Google-branded applications that collect user data and require a Google account to function fully.

A de-Googled OS aims to provide users with more control over their personal data and privacy by replacing Google services with privacy-friendly alternatives. For example, instead of Google Play Services, a de-Googled OS may use microG, an open-source implementation of Google Play Services that allows some apps to work without relying on Google’s infrastructure.

The /e/ OS, being a de-Googled operating system, focuses on preserving user privacy and reducing data collection by removing Google services and integrating privacy-friendly alternatives. It aims to provide a smartphone experience while respecting user privacy and avoiding unnecessary data tracking and profiling.

I think this term is an image, well at least when I bought my first Murena I thought that it would permit me to escape ridiculous services which are commercially aggressive. I am quite content of my experience.

Oh, and by the way someone answered here with Chatgpp but all these answers initially come from everyone?
It is not difficult to scrap everybody’s answers from the forum, right ?