Which phone is best current choice running E/OS (after many failures)

Wonder If I should switch to a different phone again. I started my E/OS journey with a fairphone but that would not work with a dual sim.Then I switched to Samsung S9 but that had a problem using 4G.
Then I bought a Oneplus 7 Pro. This can not be updated anymore to the latest E/OS 2.0 So it is still running on 1.21
Which current E/OS phone would you advise to buy which would probably cause the least amount of trouble for a while ;-).

Thank you very much for your help.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Buy an official one from their store, perhaps also wait for a new one, so you can return it if it doesn’t what you want ;- )

2 Likes

I have a Fairphone 4, and dual sim works well. It only has one sim slot so the second must be an esim.

2 Likes

Would be a good idea but a little to expensive for me.

If you are looking for unexpensive devices :

Since 2022, I run a Motorola G4 Play as my dailyrunner. Initially bought second hand for less than 60€, I’m now in the process of switching to a Moto G5, because the maintenance of the android version has stopped.

The G5 is now set up with /e/OS V2.2. I also found it second hand for less than 45€ …

Sounds like a very good idea. I see it is a 2017 phone. Don’t you think I would run into the same problem like I did with my Oneplus 7. I mean no updates available anymore because of low android version? Thanks a lot Didou. Found the G52 from 2022 for 60 euros.

I hope you’ll be happy with it !
Let’s rhode the party !

Haha thanks a lot Didou
Yep get the rhode party started.

Strange. My (backup device, for the moment) OnePlus 7pro is dualsim, running Android 13 with e/OS version 2.2 - so you’re doing something wrong.

You’re probably on stable Android 11. You need to go back to stock A12, to be able to flash dev Android 13 and from there you’ll get all the fancy updates!

1 Like

Thank you infinity. I am all ears. That would be great news. Yes I am on android 11. How can I go back to stock android 12? When I got the phone it was on android 11, at least when I remember well. I installed e/OS using the easy installer. Any suggestion is welcome.

Install /e/OS on a OnePlus 7 - “guacamoleb”
/e/OS dev guacamoleb download

Install /e/OS on a OnePlus 7 Pro - “guacamole”
/e/OS dev guacamole download
/e/OS stable guacamole download

2 Likes

Thank you Piero! But the missing thing here is, and I reported that back in December '23 (and the Easy Installer does NOT help here)… A11 is stable. There was no A12 for the OP7pro. A13 is dev.

So you need to go back to stock OOS Android 12 and first then you can flash A13 /e/OS dev. That’s were all the instructions lack and fail. Too bad. But we’ll help eosfan through the dark into the light!

1 Like

I would stay stick to the OP7 Pro. I bought a second (better) one for my mum and soon I’ll put /E OS or other custom ROM on her previous phone.
I think it was your decision to go for the stable version, no? The stable version gets updated from time to time so it’s not really “stable” :slight_smile:
I don’t think there are notable differences between stable and dev in terms of bug-free behavior; if I’m not wrong I think I used stable only once (for a S9+). Mind you … you may not like the appearance of newer Android versions; there are many who hate the “material” look. I find it worse than before too…

Thank you very much for explaining and the warning, I installed e/OS using easing installer on the 7Pro, I ended up with android 11 and I am stuck now on e/OS 1.21, the 2.0 update crashed the phone. I switched memory slots to get it up and running again.

Do I understand you correctly? Do you suggest to stick with 1.21? Aren’t there additional safety issues when I do not update again?

what phone are you talking about in fact ?

Sorry for the confusion, the 7 Pro.

stable should be dropped you are right
but dev is already on “T”

I would get to dev version in your place after researching well the process to “upgrade”. You must backup all your data before.
If you don’t want to take risks for now you can still use the 1.21 for the time being. Although on Android 11 I think you have newer files compared to original phone now on Android 12 (and a lot less bloat)
I think best would be to wait for Android U (Android 14) ROM for OP7 PRO and only then upgrade. For sure you’ll need to put original Android 12 on it before updating to Android 14 (when it’ll be available… mostly likely before year’s end).
Does something bother you on your phone or is it just the need to have the lastest software?

No my phone is okay but I thought I need security updates which I won’t get anymore when I stay on 1.21. I thought e/ stopped supporting Oneplus 7 Pro, at least that is what i read on the forum.I that is true there won’t be an update to android 14. I will search if I can find where I read that.

I cannot offer clarity, but if Easy Installer were to offer latest dev for guacamole potentially you may be able to get /e/OS at Android 13 (S).

It is my understanding (not specifically researched) that you should still introduce the phone to the manufacturer latest A12 firmware first.

The install page from Post #11 confirm the need for A12 and has no mention of stable / official.

1 Like