Which phone is best current choice running E/OS (after many failures)

Thank you very much. It is a challenge for a newbie in e/ land. But there are some people om the forum like @Infinity who offered his help by doing the job for me. I guess I will fix it in the end but will take me weeks to find out.

to avoid confusion, please talk about “A12”, “A13” or “A14” version when you are refering to stock, and “S”, “T” or “U” version when refering to /e/

in my opinion “dev” is the way for this device

So i think major issue to adress here in this thread is to find sources on the web to download and install stock A12 or A13 based firmware for the “OnePlus 7 PRO”

1 Like

no, only “stable” is not maintained anymore

because “stable” build for this device has been created at some time to made the device compatible with the Easy-Installer, but dropped as OnePlus 7 PRO is not a Murena device and now the Easy-Installer can manage “dev” builds.

yes of course.

it may need 2 hours of work when you know what to do…

i see here an oportunity to impove this guide i made for the community !

Thanks a lot. I will give it a shot. After I managed to install android 12 can I use Easy installer to install T13 dev version?

yes, but if you are abble to install OxygenOS 12 or 13 on your phone, you won’t need the “Easy-Installer” anymore…
because when you know what to do (unlock the bootloader and flash the recovery-e), it is easier and faster without the “Easy-Installer” !

OnePlus Official Software Update
OnePlus Commuynity, 7 Series Circle
XDA Forum, OnePlus 7 Series Archives

1 Like

I second that. There is no need for easy installer… I think I only used it once…

1 Like

Say what? Never ever noticed that being mentioned anywhere. Does it also support going from stable TO dev?

1 Like

Finally got my Oneplus 7 Pro working. I just simply used adb sideload and used the full image (not recovey) of e-2.2-t-20240717417775-dev-guacamole. It also left all my data in tact.
I started out with Android 11 on e/OS 1.21. No need to go to stock android 12 first.
At least so it appears for now ;-).

So here’s is happy camper.

1 Like

You are right,
as the “T” build generation include updated firmware parts, you should expect simply download latest “recovery compatible” .ZIP,
Then, reboot to recovery and apply the update (upgrade in fact)
It is my advice since a year… and often works coming from “S”,
i hope it is the same in your case

I have ever read (and beleive that i have read) that switching between dev and stable branch need a factory-reset (because of signing keys) but it was a non-sens :
If we can switch between LineageOS and /e/OS or iOdé or any other custom OS, why not between dev and stable.

Thank You @eosfan, if it is true, i have learned from your experience

1 Like

It is noticed in the List of devices supported by the easy-installer (for non-Murena devices)

“stable” builds (now also called “Official”) are now only for devices that have been sold by Murena,
when all supported devices receive “dev” builds (now also called “Community”)

Maybe one more exemple of the inacuration in the official documentation…

I guess @eosfan took a chance, as sometimes one has to do, and got lucky. Without detailed knowledge of the final software revisions for guacomole one cannot be absolutely sure that the vendor supplied with e-t-xxx builds will completely overwrite pre-Android 12 versions, for all variants.

@mauronofrio at XDA in this 2019 thread https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-stock-fastboot-op7p-stock-fastboot-roms-for-oneplus-7-pro-7-pro-5g.3931424/, provides links to Fastboot ROMs which he has curated.

I have extracted all images from the stock zip and i have made a new zip with the Fastboot ROM with a flash-all.bat included.

However in general these are older or original stock versions and one would need to update them, possibly with the third party app Oxygen Updater.

He further comments

OnePlus will no longer release ROMs flashable via stock recovery because is no more needed. The updates will be done on the slot not used …

This link is primarily about unbricking [Guide] How to use MSM tool. Derived from that link is this index from the OnePlus Community Server. Many links within it are to the work of @Some_Random_Username at XDA.

As always it is informative to check the Lineage Wiki

2 Likes

I did not even reboot to recovery. I just copied the files with the phone in fastboot using adb command. I think it is very funny it worked. Have a good weekend!

Exactly and because I did not get twrp running I quite trying to install A 12. Out of frustration I thought what the heck let us give it a try.

@eosfan I think you were correct not to include e-Recovey in your process. If you boot to e-Rcovery now I believe you are likely to find the “correct” matching Recovery-e-2.2-t-20240717417775.

If not, before the e2.3-t update I suggest you check

Settings > System updater > top right 3 dot menu > Preferences

and ensure “Update recovery” is selected.

Thank you very much aibd, how thoughtful. I remember you or someonelse on this forum giving that advise. Once selected it will only update recovery on the next update I understand.

You checked and it is not updated already?

In which case, as you say, next update.

I just checked. When I try to start in recovery mode It starts in fastboot mode. Something is not quiet right here I suppose. Will it start in e/ recover after the next update or was my stroke of luck not a 100% success you think?
When I go into update and check manually for updates it says no connection to internet although it does have connection to internet. So not 100%.
Is there a way the install recovery myself using the fasboot method again?

Well I did think tat this was a bit irregular, so I am not sure about the current situation with your Recovery.

I believe you might have the option on your device to install Oxygen Updater (linked above) from App Lounge or F-Droid and see what it offers you.

1 Like