Why is my S9 not working with 4G LTE?

All in all, I will buy a brand new phone; it seems more reliable. The Murena phones on the /e/OS website look good, but the accessories offer is too limited. I haven’t seen a screen protector for the Murena Pixel 5, for example. So, I’m considering a well-known brand. Samsung is ruled out because they don’t support /e/OS with VoLTE, so I’m looking at other brands like Huawei, Sony, LG, or similar.

Are there any models you particularly recommend? I’m thinking of a mid-range (or slightly higher) model for a reasonable price. Above all, it needs to be as easy as possible to install /e/OS; I don’t want to spend hours struggling with the installation, as was the case with my S9.|

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers,

You might take the pressure of a decision by reverting to Samsung original for phone calls https://doc.e.foundation/pages/revert_samsung_to_stock_on_windows; then perhaps experiment with low cost devices to install /e/OS.

Many phone are not so hard to /e/ install after one has put the time in to learning the craft.

1 Like

Sony phones are usually pretty good, and Sony should be supported because they actively encourage custom ROM makers through their open devices program.

Google Pixel devices are also good but they don’t support external SD Card, which is a deal-breaker for me

Fairphone devices also deserve support because of their work on making devices more sustainable.

1 Like

Oh that’s interesting thanks a lot: I didn’t know it’s possible to revert a /e/OS back to the original ROM, this is great news.
The thing is: I installed /e/OS myself on my Samsung S9 about 4 years ago, and I remember it was not super smooth as sometimes what happend on my phone was different from I saw on the tutorials, so I had to figure out what the problem was, digging into this forum to understand things and then actually dealing with it on my phone and pray for everything running as it should without leaving my phone definitively corrupted or something, it was a bit stressful, but in the end it worked.
This is what I mean by “a phone that is super easy to install /e/OS on”: I want to make sure as far as possible that I buy a phone with a little as possible hassle when installing /e/OS.

And I guess not all phones are equal: I guess some are easier than others in regards to /e/OS installation.

Thanks a lot. Actually I was thinking of buying a Sony, not really sure why, maybe because of their design or because I generally love this brand since my childhood I don’t know, anyway, good to know they’re usually pretty good.
I will start investigating tutorials on how to install /e/OS on them to help me choosing a specific model.

Can you recommend a particular Sony model that is easy to install /e/OS on?
Or is it pretty much equal for all of them?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help and experience here,

So I just received my Sony XPeria XZ3 H8416 and I’m starting the process of installing /e/OS on it :slight_smile:
I updated it to the last stock Android, which is version 10.
When reading the instructions here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/akatsuki/install
I see that I must do a WiFi call and a VoLTE call on stock Android first before actually installing /e/OS.
Can you tell me how to do that?
I know I could install an app like Signal but I don’t want to setup any Google account on this phone so I can’t access Google Playstore, and so I can’t install Signal.

What’s your advice to make sure WiFi calls and VoLTE calls will work on /e/OS?

Thanks a lot for your support guys,

Hi.
Sorry for the late answer.
You perform WiFi and VoLTE calls by simply calling someone from your agenda while having either: mobile data active (VoLTE) or a Wi-Fi link (VoWIFI). You don’t have to install anything… just to call someone using these settings.
The purpose is to guarantee that they work.
As for installing apps you can download the apk file from a reliable source and just install it. You don’t need a google account to install software even on the original ROM.
Good luck!

You may have to enable both of these in Settings:

VoLTE should be enabled by default if I remember correctly. For VoWiFi I don’t remeber… for sure I turned it off if it wasn’t…

Hi guys,

When I go to Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Preferred Network Type there’s no VoLTE option there … :frowning:

All I have is:

• 4G (Preferred)/3G/2G
  • 4G/3G
  • 3G (Preferred)/2G
  • 3G only

So my phone is still on stock ROM (Android 10) but currently I can’t even do basic phone calls with it :frowning:

Hi.

According to: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/SX669701

for Android 10 or Android 11

1. Make sure your specific Xperia device model and network subscription support VoLTE.
  2. Find and tap SettingsNetwork & InternetMobile network Preferred network type4G (preferred)/3G/GSM.
  3. Tap the switch beside Enable VoLTE to turn the feature on. If Enable VoLTE isn’t available, contact your network operator.

LE. Small chances but worth trying it: demand your network operator to change your SIM. They also should assist you in solving the problem.

Thanks @Cooler

I already saw this post. That’s interesting. I will contact my carrier tomorrow ans see with them if they can assist. Thanks again for your support.

Sorry you have problems, I wish youd hadn’t.
It’s a bit weird/funny though. I try to solve for someone a problem I don’t have as with the exception of the S9+ all my phones with /e/ OS that I use for calls (Sony XZ2compact, Sony XZ2 premium, Sony XZ3) have VoLTE and I don’t need/use it.
I’m sure you’ll solve the problem, still it’s regretful that you have this problem.
How do you like the XZ3 other than this nuissance?

To be honnest I didn’t really used it until now, I just upgraded to the latest Android (10), it took ages as it needed to upgrade every update one by one from Android 9 (!).
It’s a pretty cool phone I’d say, but I’m not a fan of the plastic body: it’s slippy in hand. But that’s not a problem when I will buy a case for it, if I’m able to have it running /e/OS one day :thinking:

By the way: why does it say “This topic will automatically close in 9 days.”? This topic is alive, people like me regularly post here so why would it be close in 9 days? I don’t understand.

All topics have a “initial” lifespan and this topic it’s getting “old”. Also your current problem is not for the S9 So I propose you make another topic…

With Sonys, you likely have to have the SIM card inserted in order for the “Enable VoLTE” setting to appear.

(Of course, the particular phone model must have been certified for VoLTE with the specific carrier, too. In other words, it’s not a question of “does this phone get VoLTE,” but “does this phone get VoLTE with this carrier.”) (Edit: And the phone’s installed regional firmware may be important as well, i.e. North America vs. Global firmware, etc.)

P.S. I’m basing the above on my own experience and research, but I’m not an expert.

Thanks @Cooler : I just opened another thread here, dedicated to installing /e/OS on my XZ3: Installing /e/OS on Xperia XZ3: VoLTE unavailable on stock ROM

@Taurus : the SIM card is inserted, and I restarted the phone multiple times, but the “Enable VoLTE” option still doesn’t appear.
I also tried with another carrier SIM card just in case, same result.

I’m wondering if it is risky or not to install /e/OS if this option has not been enabled.
I discuss this in the above mentioned link.

Thanks again guys,

Just FYI, you can download the apk directly from Signal: https://signal.org/android/apk/

That’s what I do.

Thanks, I didn’t know that.
I downloaded a FOSS version from APK mirror here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/twinhelix/signal-foss-by-twinhelix/signal-foss-by-twinhelix-7-0-2-release/signal-foss-by-twinhelix-7-0-2-android-apk-download/

It works well.

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.