Why not Firefox as default browser

Yeah, right!

Oh, wait!
/e/ is actually de-Googleised Android.

4 Likes

+1 for Firefox here, as I first suggested about 10 months ago but didn’t manage to cause such a passionate debate!

I can’t find a single argument against Firefox which hasn’t been addressed or completely debunked (wow some people need to educate themselves before posting…).

I think that the simple answer is either that 1) Gael didn’t like Firefox for Android app UI or 2) Mozilla refuse to allow one of their branded products to be bundled in /e/. Both are very plausible explanations.

I use Firefox nightly on Android and I like it, it’s hugely powerful and performance is great. Bromite, by comparison, seems like a toy version of a browser to me.

Cheers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There is a new browser available. I think that’s a good one for e.
The only thing I don’t like is the size. 150 mb for an web browser on android is really a lot and when trying to check trackers, ClassyShark is crashing.

Which browser is it?

ups, sorry, BRAVE browser

After some test i have gotten this screen. … . Reporting my personal data and no way to.change/block it.

EDIT: Mozilla critics removed

Sorry but… Where is the leak ? You are in Brave on qwant.com. What is Mozilla doing wrong ?

2 Likes

Brave is a new browser from an mozilla manager. So you are right. It’s not really Mozilla, but the ex-employee makes the same as he has learned or done in his old company.

And also stupid is, that qwant ‘tells’ me, that i should use ‘brave browser’ :crazy_face::man_facepalming: while i’m using it :woman_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming::woman_facepalming:t5::man_facepalming:

Really a sleek browser, I am using it from time to time, but it is based on Chrome/Chromium as well and with a business model unfortunately related to acceptable ads.

Sounds like you do not understand what is happening. Qwant simply lets you know that your user agent is really specific and could be used by fingerprinting techniques to identify you. This is by no mean a personal data leak. And user agent CAN be changed, for what it’s worth.

Aren’t you done with spreading fake undocumented news about Mozilla?

2 Likes

No it can’t in Brave browser. That’s the problem

And for that statement there is a clarifying in my other post

The user agent can be changed in Firefox :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I know, and also in most other browsers, but not in BRAVE.

EDIT: And by the way, when creating a ‘privacy browser’ there should be used a fake user agent :wink:

I agree, and it’s the case with Firefox once the setting has been activated.

(I think everything has been said (at least for me), this topic becomes too long :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hey @harvey186, did you check the fabulous list of Brave’s funders?
:slight_smile:

Also, did you know that Brave is part of a bigger company that actually DOES spy what users do using its software?

No, thanks, for information. I have removed it from my system because of the written issue and when I read your post, it was a good idea to remove it fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which founders? Eich? Others?
Which spying company?
Sources?

2 Likes

You’re right, I should have give details:
citer Founders Fund, Foundation Capital, Propel Venture Partners, Pantera Capital, DCG, Danhua Capital, and Huiyin Blockchain Venture.

And more here:
https://twitter.com/aral/status/1013047635253526530?s=20

2 Likes

About the Chromium Vs Mozilla debate, I found this article that favors Mozilla. Posting it here, although I don’t understand much because I’m not a tech person:
https://0x65.dev/blog/2019-12-17/why-we-forked-firefox-and-not-chromium.html

One more thing which is hopefully informative, Mozilla gets search engine money from having them as default or in the search options. It’s no secret. It’s not “secret trackers” either and there’s no tracking from these search engines unless you visit them or enable search autocompletion (off by default).

My own opinion is that it doesn’t matter too much either way, because most things moved to apps instead of websites. The apps are often websites underneath but work better outside the browser. The reason they do that is ease of use and control. You can put actual hidden trackers with hard to block ads and so on in the mobile app, which you can’t do in the web browser.

Due to this, whatever your browser choice is, I’d recommend using installable web apps (they’re apps that use your web browser directly so they don’t run “secret” code). This works… Okay for some sites.

Another thing that would be interesting is to modify web render, the library used by most apps, to block trackers and ads by default if it’s not already done (so that apps using them get their queries blocked). Ideally using web extensions so that you can install existing web extensions like ublock “system wide” and have control as the end user.