Why not Firefox as default browser

The user agent can be changed in Firefox :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I know, and also in most other browsers, but not in BRAVE.

EDIT: And by the way, when creating a ‘privacy browser’ there should be used a fake user agent :wink:

I agree, and it’s the case with Firefox once the setting has been activated.

(I think everything has been said (at least for me), this topic becomes too long :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Hey @harvey186, did you check the fabulous list of Brave’s funders?
:slight_smile:

Also, did you know that Brave is part of a bigger company that actually DOES spy what users do using its software?

No, thanks, for information. I have removed it from my system because of the written issue and when I read your post, it was a good idea to remove it fast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which founders? Eich? Others?
Which spying company?
Sources?

2 Likes

You’re right, I should have give details:
citer Founders Fund, Foundation Capital, Propel Venture Partners, Pantera Capital, DCG, Danhua Capital, and Huiyin Blockchain Venture.

And more here:
https://twitter.com/aral/status/1013047635253526530?s=20

2 Likes

About the Chromium Vs Mozilla debate, I found this article that favors Mozilla. Posting it here, although I don’t understand much because I’m not a tech person:
https://0x65.dev/blog/2019-12-17/why-we-forked-firefox-and-not-chromium.html

One more thing which is hopefully informative, Mozilla gets search engine money from having them as default or in the search options. It’s no secret. It’s not “secret trackers” either and there’s no tracking from these search engines unless you visit them or enable search autocompletion (off by default).

My own opinion is that it doesn’t matter too much either way, because most things moved to apps instead of websites. The apps are often websites underneath but work better outside the browser. The reason they do that is ease of use and control. You can put actual hidden trackers with hard to block ads and so on in the mobile app, which you can’t do in the web browser.

Due to this, whatever your browser choice is, I’d recommend using installable web apps (they’re apps that use your web browser directly so they don’t run “secret” code). This works… Okay for some sites.

Another thing that would be interesting is to modify web render, the library used by most apps, to block trackers and ads by default if it’s not already done (so that apps using them get their queries blocked). Ideally using web extensions so that you can install existing web extensions like ublock “system wide” and have control as the end user.

Any other opinions for “privacy browser” by Stoutner?

I use Privacy Browser on a few ROMs. Nice but I don’t think the Average Joe/Jane would care for it. Seems too restrictive with most things turned off by default. Definitely a good choice for those who want a more secure out-of-the-box browser.
Just wish I could get my bookmarks into it.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion.

I use now fennec fdroid with about:config parameters and no scripts/HTTPS everywhere/ublocks

I don’t know if it better than privacy browser, but I don’t find lot of opinions…

If it’s about browsers, I just do NOT trust Mozilla anymore. There is an endless series of vulnerabilities, data misuse cases, bad technological decisions, poor leadership, etc.

Just have a look at this recent analysis. Even the Brave browser has more respect for the user’s private sphere. While Firefox falls into the same category as data-hamster Chrome:

1 Like

Thing is Firefox is a great browser but still firefox is not good as chromium , and yes i am talking about chromium (Not Chrome) and e usage Bromite which is chromium based and its best at security and privacy , so i think at current time bromite browser or vanadium which is chromium based too from grapheneos, this browser’s is best for security and privacy , firefox is good browser but in cyber security expert eyes they will say that firefox is worst browser when it comes to security and privacy, at that point you can see e have done good job for choosing browser ,

1 Like

https://grapheneos.org/usage#web-browsing
here you go check it out why

I’m following this thread since some time and read discussions whether FF or any other browser are more secure. Fair enough since this is what /e/ is focusing about, but I argue we are missing the point.
/e/'s vision contains broad and easy usability of privacy focused mobile OS.
Having that said, following point that I miss with the integrated chromium based browser:

• Tab sync to other devices
  • central account to login
  • support for plug-ins, like disconnect, https-everywhere, uBlock Origin, keepassXC, privacy badger, Joplin notes, Gnome Shell extension, “Terms of Service; Didn’t Read” etc…

Those features, I call them usability features, are essential to me and I’m currently not ready to ditch them.

As soon as /e/ will provide a solution / replacement implementations for those features I’m happy to use the chromium based integrated browser.

2 Likes

Four years ago I did a brief survey on Android browsing from a Free Software perspective. The only free webview I could find was the one in Replicant, and I used it as a replacement app for any built-in android system webviews. In general, having the stock one thrown out, and replaced with the Replicant, my phones became faster, and, they seemed to kind of ‘like’ the switch, regardless of wich webview-based browser being used.

The one Firefox-based browser that checks out in almost all of our desired disciplines, is Gnu Icecat. Of all non webview-based browsers, Icecat is both ease of use, yet very Foss.
Error-check me please i I’m wrong, I could have missed key reasons for the lack of promo for Icecat.

2 Likes

Among all the organizations you can trust among the Internet, FSF&GNU are the most trust-worthy ones in data-privacy and software freedom(they are the great pioneers! show some respect! :wink:)
GNU icecat are most trust-worthy, but has some problems though.

1 Like

However bloated Firefox may be taken. There is a reason why infamous Tor Project trusts Mozilla versus Chromium.