Will /e/ include Corona exposure notification API and if so: when?

@frank.bxl,
@juri.gagarin,
to verify my workaround I will release the first version of e-0.9-p-20200530-UNOFFICIAL-hero2lte and write down another workaround for me step by step. If it works as before, I invite you to try it as well. Save your most important data already once. Safety first …

2 Likes

Thanks. Is it relevant that FP3 is an A/B device or is your approach independent of this?

I don’t store much personal information on stock ROM anyway, but thanks for the advice :wink:

No! Temporary rooting with MagisK is however necessary because the microG components are system apps.

1 Like

Well, I have unexpected difficulties with the build. The /e/Browser fails and the installation of microG Services Core as well.

hero2lte_harveybuild

hero2lte_harveybuild_microg

I will now try it again on another device with a different 9-pie build.

Hi …
@frank.bxl,
@juri.gagarin,
my microG-upgrade-method from yesterday I cannot verify today. I have tried three /e/ OS 9-pie ROM.

Only the NanoDroid method works on the Galaxy S5 ‘klte’ with the current build e-0.12-p-2020093076095-dev-klte just like here with the build e-0.11-p.
e012p2020093076095devklte_m1
e012p2020093076095devklte_m2
e012p2020093076095devklte_m3
e012p2020093076095devklte_m4

Belgian Coronalert App works on different Android phones, but as other /e/ users have noticed, ‘NanoDroid method’ doesn’t work with the /e/ OS FP3.

2 Likes

I did it flashing the Nanodroid microg .zip file from TWRP, and deleting cache/dalvik. It seem to work ok for me until now. Do you know the Nanodroid microg .zip package?

Thanks a lot for your effort.
I guess I will have to stick with stock ROM for the time being :frowning:

Another successful test …

• without rooting the device
  • without NanoDroid patch
  • only tool: TWRP Recovery

and a WLAN / Wifi online connection to the WWW is required. And of course some time to complete the individual steps.

Starting point is /e/ OS 9-Pie TestROM for Galaxy S4 ‘jfltexx’: e-0.11-p-2020082569744-test-jfltexx by eOS

e-0.11-p-2020082569744-test-jfltexx_by_eOS

Dutch Coronamelder

“The apps is active”

Dutch_Coronamelder

Dutch Coronamelder | UK NHS Covid-19 | Belgian Coronalert

The apps are active.

NHS_Coronamelder_Coronalert

Actually the update is easy to do if you know how. There are many single steps necessary, but no special Android or technical knowledge is required. The phone is not rooted (Magisk), no external tool (NanaDroid) is used - only TWRP Recovery is in use.

See also:

1 Like

Thanks for this.

The problem is that I already tried to follow the instructions you linked.
Unfortunately, I didn’t find the path

on my FP3 (A/B device). At the moment I can’t test it, as I have no /e/ for the time being.

I do not really understand. My link ‘See also’ points directly to the comment from @marcdw /e/ support. His text summarizes the procedure in a short and concise manner.

I had to insert several additional steps to make sure that the exchange from microG Services Core version 0.2.10.19420-77 to v0.2.12.203315 worked correctly. For example the simple replace of the file /system/priv-app/GmsCore/GmsCore.apk resulted in a system boot loop.

Well, on the FP3 I simply didn’t have the path /system/system/priv-app/GmsCore

Or it was present and I didn’t find it. On the FP3 TWRP normally isn’t installed but booted from the PC, maybe that is the problem here? But anyway, unfortunately I can’t test it. Maybe the other person with FP3 here which still has /e/ installed could have a look whether the path is present?

1 Like

With the ADB commando adb shell pm list packages -f shows all installed packages | apps. With a PC editor like Notepad++ you can use the search function to find files or fragments, e.g.:

package:/system/priv-app/GmsCore/GmsCore.apk=com.google.android.gms

1 Like

So Maybe you are refering to me … I am not sure :smiley:
However, I could look for this directory in the /e/ system on my FP3 earliest tomorrow as I need my Computer with ADB. I have no technical know how but I will just do as @SuzieQ suggested:

1 Like

Hey guys, a current version of the SDK platform tool «adb & fastboot» belongs as basic equipment on every computer that wants to connect to an Android smartphone - no matter if Linux, Mac or Windows is used.

1 Like

True but not at work :smiley:

For sure, but even the freshest install is only of use in this case when the android smartphone runs /e/ at the moment :wink:
Of course I could have a look whether the path is present in stock ROM, but I don’t know if this knowledge is of any use.

1 Like

Thank you for your hint. As far, as I understood, the NanoDroid is not for FP3. I’d better not mess up my FP3 - it’s my working device…

Did I miss something in the posts above? If so, please give me a hint, what “additional steps” beyond the replacement of Services Core ( 0.2.10.19420-77 to v 0.2.12.203315) are necessary to avoid boot loops and other nasty things…

@SuzieQ
This command returns the error message: /system/bin/sh: dm: not found