Will /e/ include Corona exposure notification API and if so: when?

Hmm, well … so so. LineageOS-for-mircroG works fine.

Thank you for the info!

What will be (or is) the name of the package in the /e/ app store?

This
https://community.e.foundation/t/will-e-include-corona-exposure-notification-api-and-if-so-when/21487/65
Is the comment the info is from. There is no name mentioned. I’m neither /e/ staff, nor prophet :wink:, so I don’t know :smiley:. Time will tell.

1 Like

It is yet to be released. The name will be shared once it is released.

3 Likes

Does anyone know where those announcements will take place? Where do I have to check to see if the app is released?

The covid tracing framework will show up in the

Apps Store under Categories >> System apps

The name is Microg with contact tracing

You should get it in the next dev updates… Most probably we will release it by end of next week.
There is an issue with the microG app not showing up in the list once you have installed it. The team is working to fix this.

5 Likes

Got an answer from the developers of the Coronalert App (two months after asking!). The App has to be downloaded from the Play services of the right country, so it cannot be done anonymously in the Aurora store. This means you need a G00gl account for it and partially making an /e/ phone a G00gl phone again.
https://www.coronawarn.app/en/faq/#cause_3
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-01 om 01.50.37
And the phone cannot be rooted. A lot of reasons not to use the App. The same thing happened with Payconic and ItsMe, so I do not have any use for a smartphone anymore. I’ll use /e/ on a tablet without SIM.

If you are talking about the German Corona Warn app, it is now even available in f-droid, and includes the required libraries, i.e. not even a current microG is needed.

5 Likes

@pjmbraet the Corona Warn app for Germany is available in Aurora Store. I’m currently in Germany. So it can be downloaded anonymously. To be functional, it needs Google Play Services, however.
@dalas.revo I can’t find it in F-droid? Do we have different F-droid stores or what?
Edit: I found it. It’s a fork of the Corona Warn App, named Corona Contact tracing Germany

Sorry, yes, it is a fork, but they say it is completely compatible. It is said to be only amended by the necessary components from Android/microG to make it work even on devices without PlayServices/microG.

1 Like

It indeed seems to work without Google or MicroG.

This being said, it might even work for some other countries. The official German Corona Warn App links to the italian Immuni and Irish Covid Tracker among others. I am unsure if this holds true for the f-droid fork though. Maybe someone could try?

https://f-droid.org/de/packages/de.corona.tracing/

@dalas.revo @cedricoola
There are more and more options how to use a Corona app.
This is actually a good thing (more options -> good thing).
It may just be a little confusing.

For Germany there are currently (2020-12-08) three scenarios, which are all compatible to each other (means you’re phone will tell you if you met someone infected, even if she/he uses one of the other listed methods).

• | 1. “official”: Download the german CWA (Corona-Warn-App) from PlayStore and use it with a Google-Phone. (only available when using a German internet connection)

• | 2. “official without Google”: Download the CWA app either via AuroraStore (only available from a german internet connection) or from a third party website like APKMirror (works even if you don’t have a german internet connection). And use it on a phone with a exposure-notification enabled microG (not /e/ eOS, but for example everything downloaded from microg.org).

• | 2.1. Alternatively use Magisk to enable exposure-notification for microG on /e/ eOS. (remember: you’ll need to reinstall Magisk after each /e/ eOS update)

• | 2.2. Install the microG covid tracing framework app for /e/ eOS to enable exposure-notification.

• | 3. “CCTG”: Use the CCTG (Corona Contact Tracing Germany) fork of the official German CWA app from F-Droid.

5 Likes

…as soon? What about the latest release " IMG-e-0.13-q-2020120789006-dev-FP3". The release number 13 looks promising.

1 Like

On updating to the latest ROM today, for FP3 I downloaded the system-app for the corona app. On trying to enable Protect.scot I get the following screenshot. Any ideas how to sort it?

Latest P rom and 2.14 microg

The Corona Contact Tracing Germany from F-Droid doesn’t need root access. I’ve been using it for about a week without root and without problems.

4 Likes

You’re right.
I didn’t see that before.
(but I also successfully tested it just before a second - indeed, exposure notification works now with /e/ eOS)

You’re right too.
I just found that out too.

But I’m actually wondering how CCTG achieves that.
Does anyone know the answer?

I’ll change my original post regarding both facts.

Contact Tracing works by sending and receiving ids over Bluetooth LE. Any app can do it that has the permission “Location”.

1 Like

Weird.
Payconiq is working on my FP3 (e/OS/-0.12-q-2020111084008), but you have to disable Android debugging in Developer Options, else it won’t.
I don’t us ItsMe because I don’t like the idea behind it.

Hi,
it doesn’t work here :frowning:
I’ve got a fairphone 3 with
/e/, Update datet 8th Dec 2020 (german)
and MicroG 0.12.14

I than downloaded Corona-Warn-App from /e/ AppStore. That didn’t work. The error Message translates like: “The service ‘COVID-19 notifications’ is not installed”

Today the f-droid Store doesn’t show “Corona-Warn App” …
Anyone out there who could provide a link to a “how to” (for dummies)

Thanks a million!

It’s a fork, they can’t keep the same name …

https://f-droid.org/de/packages/de.corona.tracing/