Xiaomi - POCO X3 Pro - vayu - Documentation Suggestions

…Enter suggestions to improve documentation in this category. Do not raise bugs or issues here…

Poco x3 pro: The buttons doesn’t power off device and doesn’t boot in recovery
please add a extra information in documentation

# Install /e/ on a Xiaomi POCO X3 Pro - “vayu” (beta)

Booting a custom recovery using fastboot

1. Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation:

Please add command:

adb reboot recovery

The next part didn’t work for me:

• With the device powered off
  • hold Volume Up + Power. When Xiaomi/POCO/Redmi splash appears, release Power and keep pressed Volume Up until recovery appears.

Usually for devices which do not have an /e/OS specific maintainer, we follow the LineageOS wiki guides as is.

ok, but there is a extra note in LineageOS guide.

Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above

I will investigate if I have the skills to become a Maintainer.

Greetings Mauve

Hello,
i dn’t find a better place to place my suggestion. If this is the wrong place or the suggestion exists already, i’m sorry and suggest to forget this post.

After flashing the recovery, booting into recovery by holding vol up and power resulted in booting into “Miui recovery 5.0”, which seemingly was pre-installed. So there are two recoveries on my phone now.
Then i booted by typing into command window on my Laptop:
“adb reboot recovery-e-1.9-s-20230312268558-dev-vayu”
This worked. So my suggestion is to mention this method also in the documentation.
Best from Robert

Merry christmas!
Just wanted to share my experience from right now.
My vayu was on e 1.8.1 (Android 11), without google apps, working very well. Only camera2 api wasn’t available in e.g. opencamera and LMC8.4 (Google camera app for
other phones)

Before some remarks to the docs

• in the devices page: why point both name “POCO X3 Pro” and “available through Install doc” both to the same page? Confuses a bit
  • in devices/vayu/upgrade: it says there multiple times that you should be switching back to stock ROM before upgrading. That is IMHO really really not necessary and would imply deleting all data?!
  • In the section “Manually upgrading your vayu to S” it doesn’t list that you should flash the recovery first. My way is described below.

Yesterday I made a backup of my vayu by booting into the team win recovery twrp-3.6.2_11-0-vayu.img since the e recovery doesn’t have (had?) a backup option.
This was according to [HOWTO] Backup and Restore Data on Android Devices
I did this via fastboot boot twrp-3.6.2_11-0-vayu.img instead of fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.6.2_11-0-vayu.img since, well, I only needed the recovery to perform the backup and not have it permanently installed.
The even newer version twrp-3.7.x (for android 12) was able to start but couldn’t decrypt the user[0] data with the provided password.
I did the backup without wiping dalvic and cache - IMHO that shouldn’t be described in there since the “that’s optional” message is right at the bottom of that part…

After booting back up normally the settings app and bluetooth kept crashing because (adb shell logcat > /tmp/logcat)
Cannot open database ‘/data/user_de/0/com.android.settings/databases/mydb’: Directory /data/user_de/0/com.android.settings/databases doesn’t exist
or
Cannot open database ‘/data/user_de/0/com.android.bluetooth/databases/bluetooth_db’: Directory /data/user_de/0/com.android.bluetooth/databases doesn’t exist

I booted back into twrp and entered the commandline there. ls -lah showed that /data/user_de/0/com.android.bluetooth/databases/bluetooth_db was there and also the permissions looked ok. The /data/user_de/0/com.android.settings/databases (the databases at the end) didn’t exist (I had done a adb shell pm … something … before - that might have deleted it). I mkdir’ed it and touched the mydb file.
After rebooting into android the problem persisted so I upgraded from e “R” to “S dev” e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.zip

Since the commands might be interesting for someone here the list
sha256sum recovery-e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.img
cat recovery-e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.img.sha256sum
cat e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.zip.sha256sum
sha256sum e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.zip
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot devices
fastboot flash recovery recovery-e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.img
fastboot boot recovery-e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.img
On the cell screen chose “Apply Update” and then “Apply update from ADB”
adb sideload e-1.18-s-20231210360970-dev-vayu.zip
Arrow back on top of cell screen, then “Reboot device”

Now everything looks good again and I think camera2 api is there.

Cheers,
Robos