Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 - cannot boot to recovery after flashing it

I am trying to install /e/ on a Redmi Note 9 whose bootloader I just unlocked (can confirm that unlocked logo appears at boot time).

I can successfully boot to fastboot by holding down and power buttons at the same time.
I can successfully flash latest merlinx recovery image in fastboot mode

However I can’t seem to be able to land on the recovery. I tried powering it off, then pressing up + power, I tried pressing up + power from fastboot, I tried issuing fastboot reboot recovery command from fastboot. I tried various combos with keeping the usb cable connected or not. Every single time I ended up on main MIUI OS.

I am pretty sure the devil is in the detail as I remember when I flashed my Samsung tablet having similar issues. Has anyone installed /e/ on redmi note9 [merlinx] and can help me finding the right sequence to land on recovery rom? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Just like a Samsung you need find a way to boot into recovery without allowing the phone to complete a “normal” shutdown / restart cycle which will cause the new recovery to be overwritten. [1] So you probably need to flash the recovery again if it fails to start.

https://xdaforums.com/t/faq-guide-help-assistance-solution-centre-for-merlin-redmi-note-9-redmi-10x-4g.4225163/

[1] The LineageOS “install recovery page” page https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/merlinx/install/#installing-lineage-recovery-using-fastboot gives a similar hint.

Yes i was reflashing the recovery at every attempt.

I finally managed to do it, but after having fastboot flashing the stock rom to the earliest version I could find:
12.5.1.0.RJOEUXM

Not sure if it is the reason or I just mastered better my finger sequence. I unplugged the usb cable, and then pressed up + power until it vibrated then maintained up button until the Redmi logo. Hope this helps someone.

1 Like

I had recovery booting issues too, following the exact instructions (Power+Up until you see the vendor logo (Xiaomi in this case) and the release Power and hold Up until the recovery screen appears) is the solution.

That worked for me on my Redmi Note 9 Pro!

Happy you got it working man!

1 Like