Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact LTE ("Scorpion") request

Hi!
I really like the device and use some of them and they are still performing very well.
There is a really good unofficial Lineage 18 on XDA for it:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-z3tc-lineageos-18-1-sgp621-unofficial.4256523/

Unfortunately I am not competent enough to add microG, Mozilla location service etc. to the Lineage.

If I can do something to make it happen let me know, maybe an extra donation for the /e/ dev can help? :slight_smile:

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

I was looking at that ROM because I am thinking of getting a tablet, and I like - and am used to working with - the Sony devices of that era.

The page linked below goes into a lot of detail about how to build Lineage OS for MicroG, which is largely what /e/OS is based on. You could give it a try, either on your own computer (if you have a powerful machine running Linux with lots of memory). Or search in these forums for posts about how to build in the cloud. Itā€™s where I started with building ROMs, and itā€™s a great way to learn

I may get round to doing this but it wonā€™t be for a few weeks. I donā€™t have any plans to build /e/OS for this device. I think that LineageOS for MicroG will be ā€œgood enoughā€ (in terms of functionality and privacy) for me on this device.

1 Like

Thanks Pete. I have looked it up but it really doesnt seem something I can do myself. I am already mighty proud to have made the installation process for /e/ via adb and it took me lots of hours to be honest. And thats really easy in hindsight :slight_smile:
If I can encourage you somehow to make /e/ running on XZ3TC let me know, I would be so happy!
And I would be thankful as well if you develop a LOS with microG for that device to let me know of it as well.

I wonder that it doesnt already exist as the XZ3TC is such a nice deviceā€¦

1 Like

I also would be interested in that. If itā€™s looking likely, I might start shopping for one! :slight_smile:

It would be great for simple computing when traveling.

I have the Xperia Tablet Z2 Wifi setup with Lineage. That would be a good candidate device for e.os I suppose. We find the device second-hand for under 100 euros and itā€™s still ok for today. The latest Lineage build for this device (castor_windy) is recent.

It would be great to find either of these in new condition, to alleviate any concerns about battery health. But thatā€™s probably not likely.

In any case, I vote for an 8-inch-ish screen over 10-inch+, just for better portability. (Although I guess 10 inches isnā€™t so largeā€¦ In most situations.)

I have recently made I have recently made unofficial and custom builds of LineageOS for microg for this device (now known as z3tc, model number SGP621) and for the ā€˜WiFi-onlyā€™ version (scorpion-windy, z3tcw, model number SGP611). I used (and am very grateful for) github user @evil-god's sources.

This is the manifest that I used for the builds, which should be usable to make unofficial /e/OS builds for these devices.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<manifest>

<!-- Remotes -->
  <remote name="gitlab" fetch="https://gitlab.com/" />

<!-- Devices -->
  <project name="sony_scorpion/android_device_sony_z3tcw"
           path="device/sony/z3tcw"
           remote="gitlab" />

<project name="sony_scorpion/android_device_sony_z3tc"
           path="device/sony/z3tc"
           remote="gitlab" />

<project name="sony_scorpion/android_device_sony_shinano-common"
          path="device/sony/shinano-common"
          remote="gitlab" />

<project name="sony_scorpion/android_device_sony_msm8974-common"
          path="device/sony/msm8974-common"
          remote="gitlab" />

<project name="LineageOS/android_device_sony_common" path="device/sony/common" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />

<!-- Hardware -->

<project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_broadcom_fm" path="hardware/broadcom/fm" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_sony_timekeep" path="hardware/sony/timekeep" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_sony_thermanager" path="hardware/sony/thermanager" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_sony_macaddrsetup" path="hardware/sony/macaddrsetup" remote="github" revision="lineage-18.1" />

<!-- Kernel -->
  <project name="sony_scorpion/android_kernel_sony_msm8974"
         path="kernel/sony/msm8974"
         remote="gitlab" />

<!-- Vendor -->
  <project name="sony_scorpion/android_vendor_sony"
           path="vendor/sony"
           remote="gitlab" />

</manifest>

In case anyone is curious, more information about the L4M builds can be found in the XDA Forums thread

2 Likes

Thank you so much @petefoth!
I run several of this devices in the family and they are really good imo.
Please /e/ OS consider a built for this as there are few tablets like this and generally few tablets to run /e/ OS yet, and especially 8"
If there is anything I (as a user) can do help to make it happenlet me know!

Iā€™ve finally got round to trying to get a custom ROM working on my Z3TC (WiFi), but I canā€™t even get the thing to boot into recovery. Iā€™ve asked in the XDA thread, but the instructions there are either v. confusing or donā€™t work :frowning:

Is there anyone here who can provide me with a list of steps to flash and boot the recovery image? The image for my WiFi only device is pbrp_9.0_z3tcw.img. I can successfully boot into fastboot mode by pressing Volume up and inserting the USB cable. At that point the LED is showing blue. What should I do next please?

Thanks in anticipation :slight_smile:

Unofficial /e/OS builds and flashing instructions now available:

1 Like

Thats incredible Pete, thank you!
Will definitely try it out, though I am really used to LOS on the Z3 Tablet know :grin:
And I guess you wont maintain both the LOS 4microG ant the /e/ OS builds in the future? What made you try this now if I may ask?

Thanks again,
and best regards from Austria,
Max

I do plan to produce builds of both/e/OS and L4MicroG. Iā€™ll try to get /e/OS builds out shortly after /e/ release a new version. L4MicroG builds can happen any time :slight_smile:

I had a fast cloud VM running Docker to make an /e/OS S build for lilac and itā€™s not costing me anything so I thought Iā€™d try this build. Luckily it worked :slight_smile:

Awesome! And I dont use this term oftenā€¦

Iā€™ve no idea what this means, but I am lucky it happend as well :slight_smile:

1 Like