2021: Week wise OS upgrade and new Device release plan

Thanks, should have focus more whiie reading, but thanks for giving newly answer, now person who asked van read it from here, linked this thread to him.

Good news! Keep up the good work.
Any chance of having Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (kenzo) on the list ?

Hi Manoj, I noted the a3xeltexx is being upgraded to Pie. Can I request it to go straight to Q? There is an official LOS 17.1 version https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/a3xelte

Thanks for updating me. I was not aware of this. Have modified the plan accordingly.

2 Likes

When I checked the galaxy S9+ download page first thing today 25/01/21 (NZ time) I’m sure I saw the new q builds but half an hour later I went to download and despite link saying q build the downloads had reverted to O builds!

Hi @Manoj, can we request the Sony XZ2 compact to be added to this list?
Sony XZ2 Compact dual sim (8324)

Only phone in existence currently with a small form factor and good specs . Official LOS ROM 17 is available

1 Like

When does /e/ come for FP3 with an upgrade based on Android 10?

https://doc.e.foundation/q-upgrade-fp3

Thank you!

1. Since when is this available, because only in August I purchased my FP3?
  2. Backup of data is recommended because it might be OR WILL be deleted.
    Is there any standard backup procedure available in order to avoid manual installation and new configuration of all apps installed?

Many thanks upfront for further support.

Hartmut

The earliest “dev” release channel Android 10 (Q) build still visible currently is from early November 2020. The last install file for Android 9 ( P ) I kept on my harddisk is from the end of October 2020, so somewhere around then I suppose.

It says there “Please note the upgrade process will wipe out the data on your device.”
A required step is unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking as well as locking the bootloader will force a factory reset for security reasons.
If not for that, the fastboot -w in the instructions will do it.

This is a popular question, because there’s no default procedure yet. Seedvault integration is on the way to improve the situation, but that doesn’t help you now.

There’s work being done on the OS updater to enable it to do an OTA upgrade to a new major Android version without wiping user data, but there’s no timeline for this.
For now upgrading to Android 10 means wiping data.

3 Likes

Thanks again for your precise and clear information!
Last question (hopefully): the current available Android 10 (Q) base of /e/, is this a P (production) version or does it make sense to wait for this ( could you maybe give an indication, when available if not yet).
thanks so much!

You may also have a look at this post:

What do you mean with P (production)?
Android 10 = Q, Android 9 = P(ie), Android 8 = O(reo), Android 7 = N(ougat).

Or do you mean production in relation to the “dev” releases? It works like this …

2 Likes

Thanks again! I meant production in relation to the “dev” releases. Then I understand Android 10 (Q) is a production version in this sense (already some time on the market), please correct me, if I am wrong.

Stays the question about the maturity of /e/ based on Android 10: do you estimate the quality and stability (not considering new features) better that /e/ based on Android 9? (quality and stability has more value to me than new features)
Or does make sense to wait for further improvements of /e/ on Android 10 so far?

Hi there !
I got Galaxy Note 9 with eOS 0.11q.
I’m wondering if I should wait some days to get OTA update ? or should I install manually a version 0.13 from dev channel ?

If Android 9 works well for you, you could of course stay with Android 9 as long as it gets security updates.

Hello Manoj,
I upgraded my S7 from nougat to Oreo (using TWRP) and since then I receive oreo OTA updates but install fails. Each time, I have to update using TWRP. Is it normal?

Same problem for me (from Oreo 0.13 to 0.14).

@PhilNitram
exactly the same for me with my S7.

Maybe these devices - A5, A7 all need to be upgraded ASAP to Q. The LOS code being in Q and /e/ still on previous OS versions may be the issue behind these bootloops and bricked devices.