2021: Week wise OS upgrade and new Device release plan

When does /e/ come for FP3 with an upgrade based on Android 10?

https://doc.e.foundation/q-upgrade-fp3

Thank you!

1. Since when is this available, because only in August I purchased my FP3?
  2. Backup of data is recommended because it might be OR WILL be deleted.
    Is there any standard backup procedure available in order to avoid manual installation and new configuration of all apps installed?

Many thanks upfront for further support.

Hartmut

The earliest “dev” release channel Android 10 (Q) build still visible currently is from early November 2020. The last install file for Android 9 ( P ) I kept on my harddisk is from the end of October 2020, so somewhere around then I suppose.

It says there “Please note the upgrade process will wipe out the data on your device.”
A required step is unlocking the bootloader. Unlocking as well as locking the bootloader will force a factory reset for security reasons.
If not for that, the fastboot -w in the instructions will do it.

This is a popular question, because there’s no default procedure yet. Seedvault integration is on the way to improve the situation, but that doesn’t help you now.

There’s work being done on the OS updater to enable it to do an OTA upgrade to a new major Android version without wiping user data, but there’s no timeline for this.
For now upgrading to Android 10 means wiping data.

3 Likes

Thanks again for your precise and clear information!
Last question (hopefully): the current available Android 10 (Q) base of /e/, is this a P (production) version or does it make sense to wait for this ( could you maybe give an indication, when available if not yet).
thanks so much!

You may also have a look at this post:

What do you mean with P (production)?
Android 10 = Q, Android 9 = P(ie), Android 8 = O(reo), Android 7 = N(ougat).

Or do you mean production in relation to the “dev” releases? It works like this …

2 Likes

Thanks again! I meant production in relation to the “dev” releases. Then I understand Android 10 (Q) is a production version in this sense (already some time on the market), please correct me, if I am wrong.

Stays the question about the maturity of /e/ based on Android 10: do you estimate the quality and stability (not considering new features) better that /e/ based on Android 9? (quality and stability has more value to me than new features)
Or does make sense to wait for further improvements of /e/ on Android 10 so far?

Hi there !
I got Galaxy Note 9 with eOS 0.11q.
I’m wondering if I should wait some days to get OTA update ? or should I install manually a version 0.13 from dev channel ?

If Android 9 works well for you, you could of course stay with Android 9 as long as it gets security updates.

Hello Manoj,
I upgraded my S7 from nougat to Oreo (using TWRP) and since then I receive oreo OTA updates but install fails. Each time, I have to update using TWRP. Is it normal?

Same problem for me (from Oreo 0.13 to 0.14).

@PhilNitram
exactly the same for me with my S7.

Maybe these devices - A5, A7 all need to be upgraded ASAP to Q. The LOS code being in Q and /e/ still on previous OS versions may be the issue behind these bootloops and bricked devices.

A3 is still on Oreo too !

Hi Manoj,

I’m lost.
So, just to confirm: If I already have a stable version -> no need to flash.

My example: Samsung S9 with last Oreo 0.14 OTA updated.

So, upgrade to android Q will be delivered directly by OTA

Best regards

If it is an OS upgrade … for example Pie to Q then it has to be manually done. There are no OTA OS upgrades on any channel.

Hi Manoj,

I am a happy new owner of a Galaxy S9 Plus since a few days now, bought on the /e/ store. Obviously I don’t get all the bits and pieces. Your answer is very clear but… Does the Easy Installer is a solution to do an OS upgrade (for the Galaxy S9 plus at least)?

seg

You do not need /e/asy-Installer, which is primarily designed for reinstallation. Your ‘Galaxy S9 plus’ has a custom-Recovery on board. With this, you can easily upgrade your ePhone without an additional PC. Upgrading works very similarly to the S7 /S7 Edge.

Hi,

I bought a FP3 in the /e/ store with android P.

I wil not do a manual update of my phone due to the risk of failures

Wil that mean that i’m stuck at android P and will never be able to have Android 10 on my FP3?

Eugène