Advanced Privacy

Une anecdote pour les utilisateurs français abonnés Free : apparemment chez Free ils n’aiment pas qu’on relève nos mails depuis /e/ avec Advanced Privacy activé.
Ils ont bloqué les deux boîtes que je relève avec mon téléphone en expliquant qu’un usage frauduleux avait eu lieu.
Au début j’ai pensé à un réel incident, puis j’ai percuté : comme par hasard, seuls les boîtes utilisées derrière Advanced Privacy étaient touchées.
Le changement d’IP et de localisation a sans doute mis leurs systèmes en alerte.
Il apparaît donc un inconvénient : il faut aller réactiver ces boîtes à chaque fois.

3 Likes

I understand the criticism and concern.
I didn’t think they would be so lax with security. That is somewhat disappointing.

What do you recommend instead the installed PDF Reader Plus?
And the browser?.. If you enter an address with “https” in the Browser app, or a bookmark with https address, then the app establishes the encrypted connection, or not?

Please excuse my layman’s questions, but I can’t make it out from the GitHub link(s).

The pdfviewer looks good.

That’s really useful - thanks. I have one question: your site says

These browsers must be combined with an up to date WebView provider to be secure.

I am building a custom LOS-based ROM, which includes Fennec in place of Jelly (because Jelly uses the Google/Chrome WebView). Do I need to also include Bromite and its SystemWebView - or does Fennec include an up to date WebView? Thanks for your help

In the Browser (v100) included with /e/OS 1.0 under Settings → Privacy and security, it has the option “Always use secure connection”. Is that not adequate or comparable?

1 Like

I’m noticing that even though I have spoofed IP address activated, when I go to one of those “find my IP address” websites, my actual address is being returned.

I don’t have any sort of alternate VPN or anything.

Q!

Followup note: I went back and actually and turned off all advanced privacy features using the slider at the top of the main menu and then turned it all back on. THEN the feature was activated and checks for IP address returned random locations. But setting IP spoofing from the specific menu for that feature didn’t seem to work…

Thanks. I’ll use the Lineage version

Hello.

Has said in my recent post, OrganicMaps seemed to work as usual but couldn’t find my location.

I disabled advancedprivacy, rebooted the device (Samsung A3 2017, GSI) then OM could find my location but didn’t find maps no more :flushed:

Disabling (for --user 0 ) advancedprivacy went in a change in choosen default storage (SD card, for me) :angry:

Will check other apps, when in use…

Hi all.

Since I enabled the “Advanced Privacy” functionality on my Fairphone 3+ I have started having problems with my battery life. Doing a little research I noticed that the main consumer has been precisely “Advanced Privacy” with more than 44% of the total. Has anyone else had this same problem, any ideas to reduce it?

1 Like

Firstly I strongly support and like the Advanced Security features. As users we must know, preferably in advance, what issues may pop up so we can quickly adjust our settings.

I’ve had to turn off the ’Manage my location’ feature as this caused my GPS #navigation apps provide incorrect location information.

If the Manage my location feature had the ability to activate/deactivate individual apps as one can do with ‘Manage my Internet address’ that would be extremely useful.

One could allow GPS/navigation apps to use correct #GPS locations while sending fake #locations to other apps.

#AdvancedSecurityFeatures #

2 Likes

Please see this subject concerning battery drain. Exelent work done by @legrec14

https://community.e.foundation/t/first-impressions-on-v-1-power-consuption-battery-heat/41443/64

Hi,
I am not a power user nor an expert on the topic … therefore I would like to ask some advice …
During the Q&A session of the Keynote, I have understood that “Advanced Privacy” was suggested instead of a VPN (instead of redirect all your traffic to one end point, you split / manage different flows). I was wondering if it makes sense in my case: very basic use (calls / SMS / local calendar, no syncronisation, no web browsing), only connection to the internet is to use Signal (but in parallel, I guess the the smartphone is doing some online activitity, I am not convinced I have stopped / was able to stop everything else … most likely, I have let some background activity on …), through a VPN service. In such a situation, would it better to keep the VPN, or to move to the Advanced Privacy?
Thank you in advance for your explanations

What VPN provider is being used for the “hide my ip” feature?

@rainwalker
Advanced Privacy is not a VPN, it is Tor: Advanced Privacy - #23 by SkewedZeppelin

This interactive diagram may be of help: SECURE CONNECTIONS | Tor Project | Tor Browser Manual

1 Like

I read your previous post. Mapbox is in MicroG to replace Google Maps in Apps.
That’s not new.

@loki

microG GmsCore Mapbox module explicitly uses an older version from before it became proprietary:

I also noticed that MapBox was listed as a tracker that Advanced Privacy offered to block…

1 Like

@anon88181694 had right, the feature to hide the IP is not a vpn but uses TOR.

Plaese tell me if i’m wrong but maybe the confusion of @loki came from the fact that advanced privacy (at least some feature of it) need to use the VPN slot generate by android like netguard, invizible pro or the “app tracking protection” from duckduckgo or other app like those

@Nicolas_Sas
Indeed, it is a local VPN to perform the routing to the Tor daemon.

Hi,
I’d appreciate to have a shortcut on my main screen or on the main parameters page for Advanced Privacy Settings.

Fake IP address does not seem to work: it takes over 15 minutes to activate and once I get offline and online again, there is no more network connection until I disable this feature.

FP3+, no VPN using app.