I just got App, /e/'s new app store.
I think I gonna love it! The design language is simple and clear.
But as our job here - as observers - is to give feed back, So, I’ll start with that:
No comment yet about usability, as installing and updating is not working yet - at least, not for me.
What I love: you search an app and in the list of search results you get right away the privacy rating for each apps.
What could be better: When I search for “fdroid”, no results are found, I really need to type “f-droid”. I think it’d be good if searching becomes a bit more flexile.
When I am searching for “messenger”, I’ll be probably interested in messenger apps such as Whatsapp, Snapchat, Telegram or Facebook Messenger, but the search result show basically only products related to the latter one. It’d be good if searching become a bit more flexile. But maybe the more relevant results will come all alone once many more people are searching and installing apps…
Availability of apps. Maybe that’s in process but there are quite some from our suggested apps that are not included (yet) : Applications in /e/ "app store"
Security and privacy. For the moment the app store does not feel (yet) like the app store of an operating system that is putting special priority on security and privacy. It could make sense to allow users to find security and privacy enabling apps as well as Open Source Software much easier.
- Like: With its own categories on the home screen: "Top Security, privacy and open source apps" and "Latest Security, privacy and open source apps.
- Or: with a simple indicator for each app in the search results, earmarking it with a logo as open source.
- And: Add an option in the app store settings permitting exclusively open source apps going to be displayed as results.
Ratings. Really great idea to include privacy and energy consumption.
- For the moment I still have a bit of difficulties to understand how you come up with the privacy scoring. Example: Facebook 0.0, Facebook lite 5.0. but Frost (open source Facebook wrapper) 5.0, Wire 5.0, Signal 5.0, Telegram 5.0.
Explanations. I think, once you are on the page for a specific app and you are thinking about installing it, it could be good to make the information provided a bit more snappy. Examples:
- Licence. "GPL-3.0-only", better write "Open Source (GPL-3.0-only)". Or alternatively, when clicking on the word "Licence" to get more detailed information what different licence models are possible.
- Privacy analysis. Very good and easy to reach. I’d love to have next to the terms “Permissions” and “Trackers” indicated right away how many (the number of) Permissions and Trackers are required by that app.
Otherwise: Bravo and thanks so much.