Bricked OnePlus Nord

I think you are on the right track to try to optimise the “Device | cable | usb port | PC hardware” chain of things. But I wonder exactly what you meant by the quoted phrase? From your PC you really only want the port soldered to the motherboard, avoid any hub (bearing in mind some PC / laptop can use an internal hub to power one or more ports).

I would also try thinking of trying to borrow a different PC. This might seem extreme, but that end of the “hardware chain” may have unknowns which the drivers cannot accommodate. Just a guess.

Ah, I can’t see what I quoted…
My machine has a regular usb 2, usb 3, and a usb c. Tried connecting through all of them, but no luck.
I did use this machine for the initial conversion of this phone to /e/ os so, I would think that it would work for the msm tool but maybe not.
Fortunately I still have my Galaxy S9 as a backup

I do not mean to ‘dis’ your PC! I guess I am addressing the idea that things that have to get incorporated into these advanced tools and drivers is ‘support for every PC’.

More modern machines and ones offering more “advanced” (in general consumer use terms) USB capabilities might suffer from being able to do one “talking to Android” job and fail at another.

I think Windows tends to hide from the user, or deny, this type of weakness. Additionally Windows is not primarily designed for cross platform work. (Personal view, ofc!)

Thank you for sharing this guide. It worked for me without any problems. I am now running V1.0 stable on my OnePlus with the update that made the problem (not updated from 0.23).

Just some info:
There was an issue opened on GitLab for this problem: /e/ update bricks Oneplus Nord (#5638) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

And the OnePlus Nord install guide was updated (correct me if i’m wrong): Install /e/ on a OnePlus Nord - “avicii”
The part " Ensuring all firmware partitions are consistent" wasn’t there when i installed my phone. I guess there is the problem.

1 Like

no dis taken!
post must be at least 20 characters…

yep thats my issue in gitlab :wink:
the section of the guide about the partitions does seem new so perhaps that is an issue new to the latest version and if so, would explain the issue going from one to the next version.

1 Like

Hi
When I first installed /e/ it was v0.19 back in December 21, the " Ensuring all firmware partitions are consistent" was there.
But they changed the part with the recovery since it was a copy of the lineage OS manual with TWRP and a lot of people got confused with the differences to the /e/ recovery.

I got the brick with the june v1.0 OTA update. As I understand, OTA updates alternate between slot A and B and consistancy doesn’t mean identical but not android6 on A and android10 on B. But I don’t know how the recovery is handled by the OTA update.

2 Likes

No clue. Phone is a paperweight now sadly

These instructions worked for me also. However it took a few attempts and a reinstall of the driver before getting MSMDownload Tool to succesfully connect to the phone. Once connected it worked like a charm.

Also in Devices, the Qualcom Driver name when installed displayed as something slightly different i.e not 9008.

nice!
post must be at least 20 characters

Can anyone who bricked their Oneplus Nord tell me which version they updated from?

Also, if a phone enters qualcomm crashdump mode, then it is not permanently bricked. You can restore it through multiple ways. There is MSM download which is a bit tricky but there are fastboot flashable builds of OxygenOS available as well. You will lose your apps though.

Problems seemed to start at v0.23.

You will find the ongoing problems reported in this search for Nord open issues. Issues · e · GitLab.

Hi @sceriffo @elhdjrmlifq6 @Sim0n @escapeartist @MarkDJ @rrumble,

Really sorry for this situation! Can you add more context in order to fix this issue? How the avicii device had been flashed the first time and with which /e/OS version? Then if the device has been shipped from the /e/shop because it can have some diff on the flash process.

Unfortunately this issue is random so we have to reproduce it to be sure to provide the right fix.

Thanks.

3 Likes

@anmol
I don’t recall which number but it was the most recent hotfix from June which was itself suppposed to fix the issue with the April update not installing.

@anmol ah, really? I have tried msm unsuccessfully. If the phone is in crashdump mode then I understood that it cant be fastbooted.
Do you know how to do this?

@nicofonk
device was flashed following /e/ os instructions… i.e. not easy installer
wouldve been whatever version was before April 2022
device was not shippped from Murena store

Fortunately seems we’ve managed to fix the bricking issue using various online tutorials and walkthroughs. Suggest future /e/ releases are tested before being pushed out to devices as stable builds.

Phone before crash (and again now):

• EU model, my own device not Murena
  • e-0.23-q-20220401175185-stable-avicii.zip
  • recovery-e-0.23-q-20220401175185-stable-avicii.img
  • Flashed via ADB on Windows 10

Let me know if you need more info.

You had a bricked phone and fixed it?
Yes, please tell me how you did it.

Hi

• Oneplus Nord AC2003 Europe, not Murena
  • First flashed v0.19-q-stable with ADB according /e/ manual incl. copying partitions
  • No problems with OTA updates till v0.23-q-stable
  • OTA e-0.23-q-20220401175185- stable caused installation error but phone kept working on v0.22
  • OTA e-0.23-q-20220511185000-stable worked but needed 1.5x more battery
  • OTA update to e-1.0-q-20220526188859-stable caused installation error but phone kept working on v0.23
  • According hint from @aibd in the forum, i upgraded the recovery via ADB to recovery-e-1.0-q-20220526188859-stable to get the OTA v1.0 without installation error but nothing changed.
  • OTA e-1.0-q-20220614192251-stable apeared and I hoped on a fix. OTA update progressed but “Qualcomm crashdump mode” softbrick on first boot
  • Restored with msm-tool to oxygenOS 10, lost all data
  • Flashed e-1.0-q-20220614192251-stable and recovery via ADB, which worked but…
  • Battery lasts only 8-15h compared to 48h with v0.19. deactivated advanced privacy didn’t help. BetterBatteryStats showed that the phone never went to “deepsleep”, only “awake(screen off)”. Processes “system” and “logd” consumed constant most battery which is totally different to lineageOS which i changed back after this episode

Thanks and I hope you will be successfull with getting /e/ working…

1 Like