Build fails building APPs

Hi. I am trying to build an unofficial Nougat ROM for Moto E condor. The build fails while building APPS. This is the part of the log where it fails. I’ve looked in the forums but not found anything. Please can anyone help?

[ 89% 31034/34785] target R.java/Manifest.java: Settings (/srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/R.stamp)
FAILED: /bin/bash -c "(rm -rf /srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/R.stamp ... <snipped>

Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'icon' with value '@drawable/ic_audio_ring_notif').

nothing matches overlay file suw_navbar_ic_back.xml, for flavor anydpi-v21
nothing matches overlay file suw_navbar_ic_more.xml, for flavor anydpi-v21
nothing matches overlay file suw_navbar_ic_next.xml, for flavor anydpi-v21
nothing matches overlay file suw_progress_bar.xml, for flavor v21

Thanks

1 Like

How are you trying to build the ROM - Docker or the repo sync way.

Because the APPS v2 ?

Building with docker using a run command that worked a couple of days ago

Not sure what you mean. I’m building with docker which does a repo sync to pull in the source for everything including APPS

The previous time when Docker worked were you building for the same device with the same OS branch

Same device and same build (nougat). Might have been using "latest’ instead of " community "

This is the latest command to build using Docker.
Now the command ends with community and not latest.
Get the latest Docker image as well in case you are still referring the old one.
I will try to test this over the weekend. There are some users who are complaining that the Docker build does not work. Will run it to check if there are issues.

Thanks for your quick responses Manoj.

Yes. Today’s built used community. In previous builds I had to change DEVICE_LIST to DEVICE, and remove OTA_URL line for the build to work for the build to work. This morning I had to change back to DEVICE_LIST.

At least I learned that when the last thing you see is a line saying
Set cache size limit to 50.0 GB
this means there is something wrong in your docker run... command line` :slight_smile:

Is there any way to track functional changes to the build tools (e.g. the docker image or the official docker run command) or get notifications when they happen? Is there a particular gitlab project I should be checking more often?

That’s another change :slight_smile: I used community this morning because using latest failed.

Thanks. I may have another go too, using the ‘official’ script.

Tried again and failed at the same place:
[ 89% 31034/34785] target R.java/Manifest.java: Settings (/srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/R.stamp)
Full details of the error output at https://pastebin.com/U31nL2Sz

I got the docker image with this command copy/pasted from the ‘How to build’ wiki
docker pull registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community

My docker run command was copied from that page, and I made the following changes:

• added condor,surnia to DEVICE_LIST
  • removed the OTA_URL line, as I don’t have any value to put in it
docker run \
-v "/srv/e/src:/srv/src" \
-v "/srv/e/zips:/srv/zips" \
-v "/srv/e/logs:/srv/logs" \
-v "/srv/e/ccache:/srv/ccache" \
-e "BRANCH_NAME=v1-nougat" \
-e "DEVICE_LIST=condor,surnia" \
-e "REPO=https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/android.git" \
registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community

The surnia build is still running, but I expect it to fail at the same point :frowning:

Time to take the weekend off I think :slight_smile: Thanks for your help

Hi. Is there any news on this, or on where I can track whether the latest Docker image is working or not?
Thanks

Unfortunately I was not able to check this last weekend. Maybe not this week as well as am busy with some development work which keeps my PC fully occupied for most of the day. Will try to find some time to check what the issue is.

You could try leaving the APPs out of the build, then just install whatever you needed later :+1:

Thanks. I’ll happily try that, but I don’t know how to go about it.

1. Is there a file present in the Docker image that I can edit to remove APPS before I start the docker run command? If so which file (or files) is it?
  2. Do I have to wait until docker has completed the repo sync, stop the docker instance somehow, edit a file, then restart `docker?
  3. Or do I have to wait until the build fails, edit a file then restart the build or run docker run... again?

Edit: From what I hear on Telegram, it is not possible to exclude APPS from the Docker build. It seems the only way to build without APPS is to build without Docker, which is not going to be feasible for me :frowning:

I finally got the time to test the Docker image and build command and it worked perfectly :slight_smile:
Have added a few screenshots and the details of the steps here

Thanks. The thing that stands out for me is that you are building a Pie image, and I am trying and failing to build a Nougat image. I wonder is there is some difference, perhaps in the APPS source, between the two branches. I will have another attempt, probably tomorrow. If that fails I guess I will have to go down the ‘build without Docker’ path.

Thanks again for your efforts

This build is still failing

I followed these steps with the following results:

1. Building the Pie ROM for a3xelte works as @Manoj describes
  2. Change the docker run command to this (to build Nougat ROMS for suzran and surnia devices
docker run \
    -v "/srv/e/src:/srv/src" \
    -v "/srv/e/zips:/srv/zips" \
    -v "/srv/e/logs:/srv/logs" \
    -v "/srv/e/ccache:/srv/ccache" \
    -e "BRANCH_NAME=v1-nougat" \
    -e "DEVICE_LIST=suzuran,surnia" \
    -e "REPO=https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/android.git" \
    registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/os/docker-lineage-cicd:community
  1. The suzuran build fails, exactly as described in my other post. The log file is available here
  2. The surnia build is still running, but I fully expect that it will fail too :slightly_frowning_face: [Edit] The surnia build failed too. The log file is here
    So it seems that the current Docker image does not work for building Nougat ROMs. I have asked in another post if anyone else has managed to build Nougat ROMs recently, but there have been no responses either positive or negative).
    Maybe time to raise an issue I think.

thta’s the error:
[ 88% 43827/49662] target R.java/Manifest.java: Settings (/srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/R.stamp)
FAILED: /bin/bash -c "(rm -rf /srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/R.stamp && mkdir -p /srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src/ ) && (mkdir -p /srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/src ) && (mkdir -p /srv/src/NOUGAT/out/target/common/obj/APPS/Settings_intermediates/ ) && (/srv/src/NOUGAT/out/host/linux-x86/bin/aapt package --auto-add-overlay --auto-add-overlay -z --extra-packages

Which java jdk do you have installed ? Nougat builds are needing an different than pie builds.

Java

Different versions of LineageOS require different JDK (Java Development Kit) versions.

• LineageOS 16.0: OpenJDK 1.9 (included by default)
  • LineageOS 14.1-15.1: OpenJDK 1.8 (install openjdk-8-jdk )
  • LineageOS 11.0-13.0: OpenJDK 1.7 (install openjdk-7-jdk )*

I have whatever JDK is in the Docker image.
And it looks like the error maybe happens earlier - see this reply from @andrelam

@andrelam found the problem

Blockquote
andrelam:netherlands:
I think the problem is the naming. Lineage uses this repo. You can see the build error: build/core/product_config.mk:249: *** Can not locate config makefile for product "lineage_suzuran". Stop. build/core/product_config.mk:249: *** Can not locate config makefile for product "cm_suzuran". Stop. build/core/product_config.mk:249: *** Can not locate config makefile for product "lineage_suzuran". Stop. The build system does not look for PRODUCT_NAME := full_suzuran . Don’t know why Lineage uses that naming.