Confusion on devices (tablets) that are approved

Information on community.E.foundation is confusing. I am desiring to get a tablet with eOS. If I look at Smartphone Selector I see a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite as a potential reliable candidate that a novice may be able to flash.

Next I find another page [LIST] /e/OS Supported Tablets that has a lot of other tablets like the Galaxy Tab A 7.0 (2016 LTE) SM-T285.

I would prefer the smaller tablet size of the Tab A 7.0 but above all I want something that will be reliable and stable to replace my wifeā€™s Ipad.

If the first link is the list of devices (which includes some tablets like Galaxy Tab S6Lite) then why is there a separate/different list with tablets? Are these tablets approved as the list says? I appreciate any clarification.

Hi,

In the ā€œsmartphone selectorā€ list, you will find devices (phone and tablet) that receive /e/OS officials dev builds with automatised and regular updates by officials maintainers.

In the ā€œsupported tabletā€ list, i hope you will find all tablet that can run /e/OS on officials and community builds, but most donā€™t receive updates as it is ā€œtest buildsā€ made by individuals advanced users.

Thanks for the explanation. I think I will play is safer and go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite from the Official Device list.

If you decide to take the Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite than buy the 2020 version, the newer version is not supported. I like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e more - however both are 10" tablets.
Currently there is no supported 8" Tablet. When Android 13 is ready for eOS then the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 (2019) would be an option

Or you take the Galaxy Note10+ as tablet alternative which is nearly 7" :slight_smile:

Oh well the Tab S6 Lite is on order from ebay and should be here in a few days. I need to study on how to do the install. Seems Samsung devices require a tool I havenā€™t used before. My experience consists of flashing two Oneplus 6 phones 2 years ago. It worked then and I was/am very novice.

The tab S6 Lite isnt too bad to install - if you have Linux it is pretty straitforward

Great, I run Zorin Linux. If I need help i will rise my hand

I am also looking for a Samsung tablet and only run Linux on my laptop. I like the hardware of the Tab S5e more then the Tab S6 Lite, but the instructions for the /e/os/ installation for the Tab S5e are based on the use of Odin (Windows only). Is this really required or can also Heimdall be used just like the instructions for the Tab S6 lite?

Iā€™,m not aware of an solution without ODIN for the S5eā€¦ I have a virtual machine with Windows 10 an my Linux so it is not too much circumstances

I am doing my initial study of the Samsung TAB S6 Lite install instructions. I am confused on which build/recovery files to download from /e/ image ROM download
The page shows Android S, R, & Q. I am not sure what these represent. Do I just use the first row under Android S for the build & Revocry files to download?

Android S = Android 12 (R=11 and Q = 10)
What stock ROM version is currently on you S6 lite?

It says Android 12 so I guess I use the S files?
The instructions say " * Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.
11 vs 12?
My S6 Lite is asking me to upgrade to 13.
Am I OK staying on 12 and using the S files?

Yes use the S files and do not upgrade to Android 13 (eOS does currently not support A13).
You are on the safe side when the patch level of your A12 stock ROM is not higher than that of S 1.8 (Jan 2023)

I am a virgin to Android and just a basic user on linix/zorin and eOS so I am sorry for the remedial questions but for an old guy I think I am making progress. I believe I have successfully downloaded the files, adb, fastboot.
I went into developer mode and enabled USB Debugging and enabled OEM unlock.

In the instructions I am to the point of installing heimdall. I do not know what that is and never heard of it before. It mentions something about building it? Or do I just enter these commands for ubuntu in terminal?

On Ubuntu

Run the following commands to install heimdall for all users:

$ unzip /path/to/heimdall_ubuntu.zip -d /tmp
$ cp /tmp/bin/heimdall* /usr/bin/
$ rm -rf /tmp/bin

???

It would help if there was a Senor Citizen Install Group (SCIG) or an ā€˜Install eOS for Dummiesā€™. lol

sudo apt install heimdall

Result of the Sudo command

Reading package listsā€¦ Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Package heimdall is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
heimdall-flash

E: Package ā€˜heimdallā€™ has no installation candidate
???

sudo apt-get install heimdall-flash heimdall-flash-frontend

Thank you, it looks like that worked. I completed ā€˜heimdall print-pitā€™ and the device rebooted.
Onto recovery file.

I recieved this on the terminal when running the Recovery file:
Downloading deviceā€™s PIT fileā€¦
PIT file download successful.

Uploading RECOVERY
100%
RECOVERY upload successful

Ending sessionā€¦
ERROR: Failed to receive session end confirmation!
Releasing device interfaceā€¦

The Devise shows in RED text: Custom Binary(RECOVERY) Blocked By OEM Lock.

Does this mean the OEM Unlock in developer mode did not take?
Do I go back into developer mode and check it/enable it again?
Do i then reboot and try Recovery again?