Confusion on devices (tablets) that are approved

Well App lounge seems to be working now but is a little wonky. I hope eOS for the S6 Lite continues to get improvements.

Dude, thanks for all your help.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: After all the installation issues I know its a great feeling the first time you see the eOS logo
The Aurora OSS Store should have all apps that Google Play has. If you use your google account you can download even the apps you bought
Also F-Droid is a great app store

Have fun!

For those of you that have the Galaxy S6 Lite, once flashed with eOS, should the Messages app work? I find I can enter a number and some text but nothing happens when hitting send???

Only if you have the S6 lite LTE version…
On a WiFi tablet you can install a messenger like Signal

Damn, I was afraid of that. I am not sure if I want to invest in another S6 and another conversion.
I wonder if I can sell the Wifi S6 to someone wanting eOS since I am now familiar with the pains of flashing I could probably do the LTE version?
Thanks

Restore back to official Samsung OS is an easier thing using Odin under windows

Yes but I was hoping the Messaging App on the S6 would work in conjuction with the Messaging App on my eOS phone.
Someone else said that I probably just need to flash a newer device specific Firmware version? I am hesitant to even try this.

BTW…doesn’t Signal work just with others also on Signal vs just any phone number/contact?

As far as I know if you don’t have a tablet that use SIM cards you cant SMS message since you don’t have a phone number… however all common messenger apps like Signal, Threema, etc. can be used

I guess this is not a show stopper as messaging works on the phone but…I wish I would have thought that through before I bought the wifi only machine.
I am told Signal used to send SMS messages to those not registered on Signal as a usert but it looks like they don’t do that anymore.
I found a couple messaging apps that say they work on Phone/Tab/workstation and along with messaging apps already in use but so far each one seemed to require a Google login. hat is a show stopper.
I will take a look at Threema and keep searching but may just choose to live with what I have.
To me it sounds like a great opportunity/niche for someone to develop a good, open, and FOSS solution that handles SMS, MMS, RCS while only neededing a connection either wifi or Cell. I am to old for that kind of work!

There are apps that allow accessing SMS from one device to another.

Nextcloud SMS (not yet available on the murena.io cloud) can receive SMS, but not send at this time.

MySMS is often recommended but seems to use a proprietary cloud service.

In the old days when there were better operating systems available for phones, such as webOS 12 years ago, this was a basic functionality between phones and tablets using bluetooth and NFC.

1 Like