Custom binary blocked by OEM Lock after parental control turn off

Vendor Name: Samsung
Device name: S9
Code name: starlte
Version of /e/ OS which existed previously: 2.1-s
Not rooted

After the update and first reboot the phone worked fine. But after playing around with the parental settings (I finally turned it off), I rebooted. And now phone is bricked.

It writes:

Custom binary blocked by OEM Lock.

I tried twice. Each time it was necessary to flash the original ROM, turn OEM lock off and then flash /e/OS.

Here is another one:

Please help!
I have the same issue on Galaxy S9.
Is there a way to restore the current e/OS that was on the phone or
at least accessing the personal files (e.g. pictures, DCIM)?

1 Like
  • is the bootloader locked or unlocked on your device ?

• Can you boot the device into recovery mode ?

When I try to get into Recovery Mode via the buttons it states
“Custom binary blocked by OEM lock”

When I try to get into Bottloader Mode via the buttons it states
“Custom binary blocked by OEM lock”

I can get via the buttons into Download Mode (Odin Mode).
There it states
“FRP lock: Off
OEM lock: On”

So in my opinion the only Mode that works
is Odin Mode.

I invested some hours today and came to the only conclusion:
Maybe there is a possibility to flash the stock ROM (Standard Android) without wiping the current e/OS, resetting the OEM lock in the Standard Android and having the possibility to change the boot priority to e/OS again via TWRP.

Are there any ideas out there?
I can imagine that this problem could occur in many cases by trying out the new parental control feature (big thanks for implementing anyway!) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Before thinking to stock !

provoque the data-destruction !

Is a better idea…

It must exist an open issue in Gitlab,
some people should have a discussion around this problem.

Parental Control --> normal boot sequence broken : Custom binary blocked by OEM Lock. (#8190) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

You can always open an issue in GitLab where others can comment. Will request the dev team not to make it an internal issue.

I created an alert, but I can’ t test anything as i don’t own the device…

More input has been requested; please @joelp , @muww , @deepson add a brief summary of your problem to

in the hope you can get help from devs. Also @anyone else.

Should I just copy and paste post #4 of this thread?

1 Like

I just bricked my S9 too thanks to this parental lock.

I would suggest in the short-term a bugfix release that removes this broken feature so no one else bricks their phone.

If I just give up on all my data is there a way of at least flashing it back to a functional state?

The easy-installer does not detect it in this state.

Hey, how are we supposed to give you tips from afar if you do not provide any concrete information, for example error messages, do adb and/or fastboot commands still work, etc., on the current status?

1 Like

The symptoms are identical to this on a S9.

ADB cannot communicate with the device as far as I can tell

I spent a while trying to work out how to flash this device and it doesn’t seem possible.

Is it e-waste at this point?

You might see if the device is recognised by Odin Revert Samsung Device to stock ROM on Windows PC

1 Like

Thanks. I don’t own a windows computer if it does work I could probably borrow one.

Heimdall https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/Heimdall is the Linux “equivalent” working on the “Odin 3 protocol”. Check the READ-ME, there is mentioned heimdall-frontend so you can use GUI. You will have to allow a bit of time (unless you have it already) to find the correct Stock ROM (mentioned in the Windows link).

I believe Odin is easier and safer to use, so a borrowed Windows might be the way to go.

Initially seeing if the machine is recognised (and stop and ask) might allow others to help … and please record your progress on the Gitlab issue Post # 10

Edit as we don’t know exactly the state of the device, this post seems to try to suggest methods which might open the door, https://xdaforums.com/t/help-oem-locked-wont-let-me-flash-even-stock-on-odin.4620627/.

1 Like

@sam_uk you may avoid to select /USERDATA in Heimdall frontend…

@sam_uk, Also exist Odin4Linux…(command line)

1 Like

Notes on installing Thor on debian

Download Linux.zip

wget https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/22.04/packages-microsoft-prod.deb -O packages-microsoft-prod.deb
sudo dpkg -i packages-microsoft-prod.deb
rm packages-microsoft-prod.deb

Now you can run commands to install the new dotnet-host (on dotnet 7) and dotnet-sdk.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y dotnet-host
sudo apt-get install -y dotnet-sdk-7.0
sudo ./TheAirBlow.Thor.Shell

shell> connect
Successfully connected to the device!
Now run "begin" with the protocol you need.
shell> begin odin
[16:14:18 INF] Unknown2 is not zero: 80
[16:14:18 INF] Please contact me (TheAirBlow) about this in XDA DMs!
[16:14:18 INF] If you would cooperate, we could uncover hidden features!
Successfully began an Odin session!
shell> 

What should I do next?