[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan

It should be released today - thursday - the documentation still needs to be merged. Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

I had tested this on Ubuntu and the icon showed up in the list. No reason why it should not show up in Debian ā€¦will check with the developer and get back.

1 Like

Hello.

@geothermal: did you install snapd package ?
Root (or sudo): apt install snapd

Then: what Desktop Environnemet on your Buster (GNOME, Xfce, Mateā€¦ )?

Yes, here it is ! Oreo build is here for S7 ! Thanks a lot

2 Likes

@georgie_abitbol Hello

Where can it be found? It is not in the download list on the e-foundation website.
Thanks

You can check for the devices here

Here : https://images.ecloud.global/dev/herolte/

Thank you for your answers. I didnā€™t click further for the S7 in the selection list because only the ā€œNougatā€ version of the OS is proposed. You have to click on ā€œInstall/Buildā€ to see the ā€œOreoā€ proposal.
I still have to install it as soon as possible. Thanks to the whole team!

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out @claudiousse ā€¦will have this corrected in the documentation.

Can we clean flash oreo build for s7 ?

Hi @Anonyme,

For Android 10, it will depend on the issues the dev team will face. To have an idea, I would say October for the testing phase (but it can change).
For Pie, testing builds are already available and the official support will depend on the number of tester for a device and if there is an issue with it or not.

Okay Iā€™ve come back to this after a few weeks and realised that the list in the OP is still not clear. It still doesnā€™t make it clear which models /e/ will update to 9, which will be updated to 10 (and itā€™s not good enough, for a company selling devices to just say ā€œ9 or 10ā€). If the answer is whatever LOS support, then it should be really really easy to update the OP.

As for timescales, Iā€™m sure itā€™s not feasible to update so many devices to a new version at the same time, so whatā€™s your priority list? And for devices which donā€™t yet have a LOS version, whatā€™s the plan?

Maybe what I write above sounds a bit critical, but if things are as simple as you say they are then it should be easy to add more information (at least whether the next version will be 9 or 10).

For now, we still rely on LineageOS (itā€™s not a shame) because it already exists and it works well on a lot of devices. Furthermore it has some built-in privacy features, like Privacy Guard.
There are more important things to do than leave LineageOS. I donā€™t have more precision about what is planned about this.

I mean shame = disappointing, not shame = be ashamed. I mentioned this because I recall almost a year ago (maybe more) that someone from the core /e/ team said that they intend to move away from LOS for some phones (not specific about which), but so far this isnā€™t the case. Not even for the ā€œflagshipā€ phones which are for sale, AFAICT. If /e/ wants to be considered a serious contender and replacement to Googleā€™s Android then it canā€™t continue to rely on the voluntary efforts of a ā€œhackerā€ OS, /e/ need to be able to do it by themselves. I say this because I want e/ to succeed and to me the reliance on LOS is a significant risk.

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Manoj Do you have any plan for the Xiaomi Mi A1 (tissot)? I am asking because the Mi A1 has official Lineage 17.1 and I canā€™t seem to find it on your list.
Thanks for all the hard work.

We still have to test the Q builds for /e/. Hope to get the testing started this week. Devices for which the /e/Q builds work will all get on the official list.

1 Like

Indeed it could have been more clear. Basically, to know if phones listed above will be upgraded/supported on Pie or Android 10, you can look at this topic.

If under your phone model you have ā€œ10ā€, it will be upgraded/supported on Android 10, if there is ā€œPieā€ but not ā€œ10ā€, it will be upgraded/supported on Pie.

You can see here which devices will first receive a test build. Thereā€™s no list with a specific order of priority.

For devices without an official support from LineageOS that arenā€™t in the ā€˜to drop listā€™, I donā€™t know if it will be Pie or Android 10.

All right :slight_smile: My point of view is that a lot of things are evolving in a good way, each year new things are out, so I am optimistic on the capacity of /e/ to be a great OS for beginner and to be on its own (no matter when).

2 Likes

Have you actually looked at the sources? Itā€™s a ton of work! I donā€™t think separating from LOS is a good idea at all. LOS is a much bugger project than /e/ and it supports many more phones. Itā€™s relatively easy to build e for a phone that has LOS support. This means the community can provide unofficial builds for phones that have LOS support. Doing that for a phone that doesnā€™t have LOS support is a much bigger undertaking. Look at how few phones /e/ supports, now split from LOS and you can cut that list down to almost nothing. Separating from LOS would be a huge step back for no real gain.

1 Like

I agree with this point of view, @tve.

I think that opensource projects are more on the side of collaboration rather than competition and eventually monopolistic or ā€œfewpolisticā€ outcomes.
Thatā€™s why Iā€™m here and not there.

2 Likes

Just wanted to throw my hat in. I bought a Samsung Galaxy S9 with the explicit purpose of running /e/ on it, much to my surprise I couldnā€™t get it to run an older version of android than 10.
I have been running LOS 17.1 on it for about a month now and havenā€™t seen any problems, so when the time comes Iā€™d be more than happy to test /e/ 10 (Q) on it.
Iā€™m not sure that going for pie will make much sense for any of the Samsung devices that cannot be downgraded. By now people will have either updated their own devices or will only be able to buy used phones that have been updated already.

1 Like

From my experience in testing over 20 GSIā€™s for a rather generic Onn tablet from walmart, gsiā€™s do not work as originally intended on anything other than google devices. For all others it seems to be a matter of cherry picking patches by phhusson to create what Iā€™ve called custom gsiā€™s. So you are absolutely correct that it is not a one-size fits all. Very far from it actually.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid Iā€™ve lost track of the current plans for supporting new devices. Please can someone tell me when I might expect to see a Pie or a 10/Q build for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac)? Iā€™m currently using one of @harvey186ā€™s GSIs, but it would be great to have a device specific build.
Thanks

The plan is the first post in this topic.