[Device Roadmap] Android 9 (Pie) & 10 (Q) : The plan

The last time we got statistics it was on the ping.

/e/ OS OTA update servers are getting pinged by more than 2,000 running smartphones each day

2 Likes

Iā€™m happy that the Moto G 2015 will be upgraded. One of the reasons why I support /e/ is sustainability and the support of older devices.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s all the same with my OnePlus 3T. Iā€™m looking forward to the official pie upgrade.

Are any of these phones compatible in the US?

Yes
ahooa2020
, I am in California and I am using the Moto G7. Good budget phone. Works great with /e/.

Iā€™m really surprised that many (even quite dated) Motos received OFFICIAL build of Lineage 17.1 (= Android 10/Q):

Hi @Anonyme,

Thank you for the link, thatā€™s actually quite a helpful list. I was already aware of the support status of Moto G3 within LineageOS, but I wanted to know what /e/'s position on this phone is, not what LineageOSā€™s position is. I think that @Manoj has since updated the list in the OP to indicate that a device will be updated to 9 or Q, but when? Iā€™m not asking for it to be tomorrow, or next week, but there must be some sort of timeline or plan, isnā€™t there?

In general, I know that /e/ is still dependent on LOS but saying ā€œLook at the LineageOS supportā€ isnā€™t a very confidence inspiring statement considering that /e/ is a proper organisation which sells devices and services whereas LineageOS is not. When is /e/ going to break free of LOS? Surely /e/ can now develop directly from AOSP and not depend on LOS? Or is LOS only used for non-flagship devices where /e/ canā€™t justify the investment and LOS are already doing it?

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

For Android 10, it will depend on the issues the dev team will face. To have an idea, I would say October for the testing phase (but it can change).
For Pie, testing builds are already available and the official support will depend on the number of tester for a device and if there is an issue with it or not.

For now, we still rely on LineageOS (itā€™s not a shame) because it already exists and it works well on a lot of devices. Furthermore it has some built-in privacy features, like Privacy Guard.
There are more important things to do than leave LineageOS. I donā€™t have more precision about what is planned about this.

Iā€™m dumbfounded by the lack of GSI supportā€¦ I have a non-supported device (pixel3a) that could work great with a GSI. Iā€™ve tried some community member built custom GSI and while they work, there are issues (that donā€™t seem to be related to the fact that theyā€™re GSI builds). Is there a technical reason for /e/ not to be pushing GSI? It seems very, very puzzling that /e/ is working on dozens of device specific builds and not a GSIā€¦

1 Like

I would much prefer a device-specific build to a GSI. A GSI cannot take advantage of some of the features of my device (e.g. the dedicated camera button on my Sony Xperia devices. GSI is always going to be ā€˜second bestā€™ compared to a device specific build. /e/ should provide one, and as far as I know they are planning to, but getting good quality device specific seems to be - correctly in my view - the higher priority.

Iā€™m not sure that what you state is true. I donā€™t see why the code in the vendor partition couldnā€™t support the dedicated button and launch the appropriate actions when you press it. I understand that in your case this doesnā€™t work, so it may be a moot distinction for you, but not in principle. Reading some of your GSI threads (thanks for posting!) it may have to do with the fact that thereā€™s no proper/official Android 10 vendor implementation available if I understand correctly. So it seems to me that:

• if proper binary/proprietary/ā€¦ blobs are available then a custom build can be stable and make all special functions of the device available
  • if a proper vendor partition is available then a GSI build can be equivalent in functionality to a good custom build
  • if neither is available thenā€¦ YMMV!

NB: Iā€™m not trying to dismiss your concern, Iā€™m trying to understand how all this stuff worksā€¦

Fair points. As you say, my views are shaped by my experiences so far, and the GSIs I have used are still ā€˜work in progressā€™. It would be great if GSIs were able to make use of device-specific functionality.

Does Sony Xperia Z3 include the Z3+, by any chance?

Welcome in the forum :slight_smile:

No, the Z3+ (ivy) is only supported by LineageOS on Nougat and not on Pie or Android 10, thatā€™s why itā€™s not in the list. You can find an unofficial build on Nougat for this device here.

Hi, this is a long post so I may have missed something. It seems like the official lists above have dropped the S7? If this is the case, then this is a bit disappointing as I bought 3x S7 devices for the family as it was an official device being sold by /e/ and therefore assumed to be supported for security updates for some time to come. It is now past mid-Agust and I keep checking for official updates, yet the phone suggests that there are none since the March 2020 build? Is the S7 really being officially dropped? Iā€™m not really bothered what Android version is available for the S7. Its more about the security patches Iā€™m worried about. Or is it that because Google is not supporting Android 7 there are no security updates? I guess this is what @Manoj us saying in the next post?

S7 should get a Oreo build this Wednesday on the dev channel. Users will have to flash the build manually the first time and subsequent builds will be OTA.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks @Manoj

I just popped over to the download page and selected ā€œSamsungā€ and ā€œ2016ā€. It shows my S7 Edge device (hero2lte) and points me to the Easy Installer, which I never used. No problem, I can try it. But it says ā€œExynosā€ only so I assume I can only use the Easy Installer if my Edge has a Exynos processor? How do I work this out?

EDIT: Seems like I found the answer to my question here: https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/150397/galaxy-s7-how-can-i-check-which-cpu-chipset-do-i-have

2 Likes

I see that for
Samsung Galaxy S III (International) i9300
the official support will end.

But yesterday I followed the directions here https://doc.e.foundation/devices/i9300/install and flashed a 10 version on two i9300s which seem to work properly.

Is this phone going to be supported or not ?

1 Like

Hi @Manoj , installed easy-installer on my Debain Buster machine via Snap as per instructions but I canā€™t even find icon/command to launch the installer. Is this documented somewhere?

I even tried whereis easy-installer and I get nothing. Suggestions?

Thanks

We are wednesday !!! :slight_smile:
Kiddingā€¦