Do any /e/ smart phones support VoLTE?

Related?

I suspect it’s related to the outages people were experiencing as reported by BestMVNO (see the link I posted above.

AT&T seems to have flubbed up their transition, but I’m only guessing.

I opened a bug anyway Moto G7 Plus (lake) XT1965-T unable to make calls after AT&T 3G shutdown. (#5063) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

1 Like

After lots of reading… AT&T uses a non-standard version of VoLTE they call “HD Voice”. To use this there is a custom CSC update that AT&T would normally push to their branded phones, but cannot obviously to unlocked phone, or non-OEM phones.

Switching to T-Mobile is my only recourse.

2 Likes

Or a cheaper MVNO that uses T-mobile’s network. :wink:

@Taurus

Right… I’m on RedPocket AT&T now and have ordered RedPocket T-Mobile SIM cards. The MVNO doesn’t really matter. That T-Mobile doesn’t (supposedly) use a custom VoLTE and my phones should work, is key. Of course the T-Mobile 3G Shutdown is coming in July and I could end up right back here in the same predicament. I hope the /e/ Devs figure out how to get the AT&T CSC installed/fixed. I suppose it would require a carrier specific ROM, if in fact it is the CSC that is the problem.

Moving to T-Mobile still sucks regardless, because their coverage is bad in most places I go and doesn’t work at all in the datacenters where I work.

AT&T has microcells/repeaters/extenders installed in all those datacenters and it was perfectly wonderful. I’m hoping I can go back to it someday. Like this…

1 Like

Lot of angry AT&T customers on Reddit: Phone doesn't make or receive calls - 3G Shutdown related? : ATT

(For those who are unaware, Teddit is a FOSS, privacy-respecting, lighter front-end for Reddit.)

Hopefully not like this one. :wink:

1 Like

I think the issue is a new CSC (partition/firmware?) needs to be flashed to the phone to enable AT&T’s “HD Voice” over VoLTE (proprietary variant). There is only one comment on that entire thread where a poster mentions that. You can’t get that update unless your phone is AT&T branded or is an unlocked phone with an OEM ROM.

I’m surprised there aren’t more /e/ users in the same boat. AT&T is everywhere.

1 Like

Months before I decided to install /e/, I had to flash a different regional OEM firmware on my Sony in order to get VoLTE on T-mobile (on stock Android). The reason was because I had bought an international variant as opposed to one destined for the U.S. market. It was fairly painless and didn’t even require unlocking the bootloader.

But that’s different from the AT&T issue, and anyway I think installing /e/ replaces whatever OEM firmware there was before.

Hope someone comes up with a solution.

1 Like

Now I’m seeing information about IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) being missing. To install that I would need to flash GSI and install it as a separate apk with Treble. I have no idea.

Just tested: USA/T-Mobile/Teracube2e works with VoLTE.

2 Likes

@Ant
Dial * # * # 4636 # * # *
Phone Information…
VoLTE Provisioned?

From the top 3 dot menu select “IMS Service Status”
IMS Registration: ?
Voice over LTE: ?
Voice over WiFi: ?
Video Calling: ?

3 Likes

@dsiminiuk oh wow, that’s handy and works with my other phone, thanks!
For Teracube 2e:
VoLTE Provisioned: yes
Video Calling Provisioned: yes
Wifi Calling Provisioned: yes
EAB : no
DSDS: yes
IMS Registration: Registered
Voice over LTE: Available
Voice over WiFi: Unavailable (3 dot->View Fixed Dialing Numbers-> back->back->WiFi Calling->turn it on — doesn’t change this state. could be a router issue, or it’s missing in my cell plan don’t know…)
Video Calling: Available (when I do video call it starts and drops, probably because other phone doesn’t support this feature… need to find someone with modern fancy phone)
UT Interface: Available

1 Like

See:

Thank you for providing this info. I spent 3 hours yesterday with usmobile.com support with them trying to get the phone configured to work. Your post answers everything. There is no VoLTE available on the /e/ samsung S9 so thus it don’t work! I wish I saw your support posting before I started down that frustrating road.

Replied to @Ant not @dsiminiuk.

So what is the future with S9? In Finland 3g stop working in the end of -23. Still plenty of time to make volte work, maybe?

I’ll say this; i heard from shenol in nov '21 after i emailed them aboit VoLTE being required, then i was told to wait while they worked on it; i heard nothing back for 3 months until i followed up myself to find out it would not be supported. I hope you don’t have to wait with false hopes unnecessarily.

I am ok with the volte not working, time goes on and some things changes. My S9 is already three years old and by the end of -23 it is propably time to get new device. I use secondhand devices, so new phone with eos is gonna cost me max 60€, so it is not that big of a thing for me.

2 Likes