Do NOT see Samsung S8

I briefly tried e on an old Note 3 and enjoyed the simplicity of it all, now running S8 and am hoping there’s enough of us to get official e for the S8 soon.

Agreed! I’d like to install it on my S8+ as well.

No problem. I was just mentioning it since Galaxy is one of the most popular devices for LOS and no official version has been released so far.
I’ll continue to use LineageOS + MicroG since I’m unable to use the ROM created by /e/. I find useless trying unofficial builds that won’t get updates needing you to reinstall them after a new release is up.

1 Like

To my knowledge and someone can correct me if im wrong, but official rom OTA is still a full rom download and kind of like a ‘dirty’ flash on top. So if thats the case and a community unofficial build is maintained by the dev, then you can simply flash ontop, providing its same android version and obviously backup first for safety.

Well, it’s interesting to see that even an unofficial /e/ build can work.

Of course, it carries greater risks - and can lead to negative opinions about /e/ OS because of bugs in one or the other user. No hint á la … “This is an Untested build. Please try at your own risk.” … will help here.

But for everyday use, (stable) official /e/ builds are indispensable. Therefore, I have replaced all unofficial /e/ builds with official builds again.

Isn’t it similar to LineageOS OTA updates? I use TWRP, all the process is done automatically. It doesn’t hurt.

I’m testing right now an unofficial build of /e/ for S5. I’ve find out some issues regarding the Bliss Launcher used by them. I’d like to use a simple one similar to what is available on LineageOS, but I haven’t found Trebuchet anywhere (/e/ App Store, F-Droid or Aurora), only Lawnchair.
The rom itself is pretty nice, by default it looks very similar to iOS. The fact it’s an unofficial build, no OTA updates, well… It sucks. I’m an user of LineageOS for a long time, so updates are pretty common, daily to be honest, the LineageOS with MicroG is weekly.
I haven’t found many bugs even though testing an unofficial build, most of the “bugs” are related to Bliss Launcher itself which is something you can change.

Trebuchet Launcher APK is available on XDA forums.

Thanks for the info, I wasn’t aware. I’ll check it out later.

Heres the link https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-lineageos-15-trebuchet-laucher-rom-t3667436

Says Lineage 15.1 but its a port from 15.1 which will work on android 5.X to 9.X
I’ve personally used on nougat & pie no problem

1 Like

Yeah /e/ official OTA update the same, with /e/ unofficial you just flash update manually yourself instead

I’m assuming it’s not the same thing. It would be interesting to know what the official /e/ support says about it.

My attempts have shown that flashing the unofficial builds went without a hitch. But how can “normal” users integrate important security updates into the unofficial build?

Unofficial build when made using Docker pick up the same source code which is there on /e/ . There is no need to manually flash a security patch. The security patch is flashed on to the source code itself and comes into the build.
For example this is an unofficial mia1 build i made for my device. It has the patch for September 2019. It comes in through the code. Usually updates of security patches happen around mid of the month.

Okay @Manoj. This means that if I’ve learned to work with Docker, I can get a brand new build generated every month?

if you want, even every day.

Yeah, but that doesn’t make much sense, does it?

no, better one a month, but not at 1st day of every month, better like every 20th day, or when new security patch will be added to /e/ sources, also good to update when there are some major changes like release of /e/ 0.8

That’s it. What happens to your unofficial builds, @Unknown ? Are they all updated once a month or do they remain snapshots forever?

ill update build only when there a lot of requests from users for a device, because i dont have time and resources to update all my builds every month, i just wanna build like at least one build per device, so users cant test /e/ on a large numbers of devices.

@AirSine and others,

please join our testing group for the S8 / S8+ / Note 8 (Exynos versions).

Thanks,
Arnau