Easyinstaller stops at unlocking bootloader GS290

Hi everybody,

Before i was trying to install eOS with the Easy Installer, i did the following steps:

Enabling Developer Mode
USB Debugging
OEM Unlocking
USB Configuration - File Transfer ( i don’t have an option like MTP. other options to select are: PTP, USB tethering, MIDI and No data transfer.

I have also updated to the latest Android 10 version with the latest update from 02-2021

In Windows Update i have installed some ADB and all the other Android drivers from Mediatek

But when i follow the steps in Easy Installer, it seems that the bootloader won’t be unlocked.

I have also athe right logfile below?

Who can help me out?

https://haste.tchncs.de/ometejegiv.yaml

Grtz,

Michiel Peters

Please be careful. Me and some other forum user are having big trouble with this phone. Your phone will probably get bricked as ours if you try to install /e/. Please read our posts about Gigaset GS290.

@MichielP80 I hoped someone who could read a log better than me would pick this up, but as that has not happened I take the role of prophet of doom and say

Wait.

@clacri thank you for making that link.

@Jan_E I was so pleased to hear that you took the “return to sender” route.

This post has been “curated” from several posts where there was a run of serious brickings or near brickings of GS290.

This post started during that problem, and offered some solutions at that time.

I will just take this opportunity to point to https://doc.e.foundation/devices/GS290/install which includes a link.

Download Android 10 firmware

There is no documentation on this wiki to say the source of this firmware.

Any documentation of the success of the above “Download Android 10 firmware” would be very much appreciated.

EDIT The reported success of this firmware is here, but note that it is with a very specific method.

• We ran this test on the openSuse Leap 15.2
  • Download latest SP Flash Tool

There is a user report of successful recovery, using the above method here.

Gigaset have told me that there is no openly published Factory ROM. For this reason, I take any failure to flash a GS290 first time very seriously.

It seems there are two significant parts in the log

C:\Program Files\easy-installer>"C:\Program Files\easy-installer\bin\adb\fastboot" devices   2>&1  | findstr fastboot 

'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.
exit value = 255

This part is meant to detect that the phone has successfully rebooted to fastboot mode.
It fails because an internal comman (“findstr”) is not recognized.

@MichielP80 Which version of Windows does your computer run?

A little later there is

C:\Program Files\easy-installer>"C:\Program Files\easy-installer\bin\adb\adb" -s ""GS290CTLB02330"" reboot bootloader 

error: device 'GS290CTLB02330' not found

C:\Program Files\easy-installer>if errorlevel 1 (exit /b 10  ) 
exit value = 10

Not 100% sure what happens here, but I guess the installer tries again to reboot the phone into fastboot mode because it failed to detect fastboot mode earlier. And as the phone likely is in fastboot mode already, “adb” commands will not work.

The conclusion: I’d say this is nothing that can be fixed by a user and most likely needs changes to the installer.
My best guess is that it’s not Windows 10 but some older version that does not contain the “findstr” command (I’m not too familiar with such Windows details as a Linux user, though).

I can later raise an issue on Gitlab for that.

@MichielP80 Would it be ok to copy the log file to the /e/ bugtracker? As far as I know, those kind of services where you can post text data like this log automatically delete them after a month or two.

3 Likes

A quick internet search gives findstr references dating back to Windows XP at the minimum. But that only makes the error more weird.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the reactions, but i have succesfully installed eOS on my phone.
I thought it was more difficult to install it on Windows 10, but i am a Linux Ubuntu 20.04 user.
The next day i did the same on Linux and that makes the job done!

The next step for me is to install 2 banking apps like ABN and KNAB, but i need more info before i do that. I can install Aurora store, but they also said you can install manually the APK. Also i need to blacklist the apps from Aurora store from updating.

For now i have also a second old-phone, whe i have issues and maybe later i will change that for a tablet.

1 Like

In case someone else encounters the 'findstr' is not recognized as an internal or external command problem and has no other computer at hand: a similar thing was reported in the Fairphone forum: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/trying-to-install-e-on-fairphone-3-with-easy-installer-stops-with-message-the-installation-encounter-an-error/73476/5?u=ingo

There is no confirmation that it works so far, but the suggested “hack” to get the installer running if this problem occurs is

• in the file manager, open C:\Windows\system32\
  • search for a file called findstr.exe, right-click it and select “Copy”
  • open C:\Program Files\easy-installer\bin\adb\ in the file manager
  • right-click somewhere inside the folder and select “Paste”

And then start the installer again.