eOS "googled" version

Only because you’re not worth their time to sell those identities to, you’re not a big enough corporation.
If you were bigger, picking up 10-25k identities should be no problem!
(and no, I haven’t been buying identities either. :slight_smile:)

For those who want the Google Play Services and everything that comes with it, there is already LineageOS+GApps or the stock ROM.

/e/ shouldn’t have to lose time building a new branch, with potentially more bug if solutions already exist.

8 Likes

It’s true it could be advertised. But it’s the same thing with Windows. Microsoft never gave the power of encryption to non-Pro version users. And everyone using Windows thinks his/her windows account password protects him/her.

All their data are in clear and it takes 1 minute to start readig and copying all the data. Same thing for /e/ or LineageOS without encryption.

What is the underlying message, comparing with other bad implementations makes it ok? You can’t go advertising ‘your data is your data’ with a knowingly big security hole like this.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but this whining is really getting on my nerves.

Take better care of your mobile phone, then nobody can access your unencrypted data via TWRP.

2 Likes

You don’t have to answer.

1 Like

May I ask you an off topic question ?

How much mobile phone do you have lost or where stolen ??

2 Likes

It’s not about me. It’s about /e/ users.

1 Like

With Windows, the comparison is incorrect at all! Compare with stock firmware and pedigree. lineage os philosophy give new life to old devices, for enthusiasts! Well-known smartphone manufacturers pay a lot of money for finding holes in their firmware. A / e / sells phones under such a promising motto, with such a vulnerability, without warning customers! And by the way, those who respect themselves and other creators of firmware based on the OS line, indicate something like this:
special thanks
AOSP
Lineage os
here are the names of the developers
And all other open source software-developers, teams, and organizations
DM if we missed someone - you can always look at GitHub to find more

1 Like

I think the chance that a hacker will steel or find your device and will sell your data / identity is much lower than gotten hit by a thounder.

2 Likes

That’s not an /e/ related problem, any person’s device will be like that, who likes playing with different roms!
Besides, just get a phone with relockable bootloader if you don’t want to carrying yours with unlocked everywhere.

/e/ sells phones, that makes /e/ responsible right? Besides in the howto’s should be a warning that if you don’t encrypt, pin and fingerprint are fake safety measures.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was ok, that’s why I said :

By the way I have myself asked questions about the security in the case somebody has the phone in this topic months ago :

1 Like

For me, there is no sense in the reGoogled /e/ version. There are other roms that can do that. There is a purpose in the /e/ project. I think it is better to advertise /e/ as a more secure smartphone and teach peaople that it matters, than move a lot of development time to deliver next android that already there…

7 Likes

I agree, it isn’t completely ungoogled yet, that is the first goal: leaving Google completely. For example “Contacts” app still seems to be Google. When you go in to “Contacts > menu (typical Google hamburger icon above left) > about contacts > privacy policy” your default browser shows the Google privacy policy webpage.
The same thing happens in “Contacts > menu (typical Google hamburger icon above left) > about contacts > Terms of service” your default browser opens the Google terms of service webpage.
What is the com.android.contacts app? Google open source. There is still some ungoogling to do before the /e/ version 1.0 with a new name comes out.
Lets face it, Android is built by Google on a Linux kernel, to have a phone that is completely free of Google or Apple: buy a pure Linux phone.
/e/ is already easy to use, it is easy to install most of the G00gl stuff on it if you want to, so I really don’t see any reason to start “reGoogling” now. Let’s try to “unGoogle” it further!

4 Likes

Completely agree with @pjmbraet

4 Likes

About Contact : +1000 !!!

That’s why I tried to split my /e/phone (nougat) :

• Contact with just phone numbers,
  • no international (+33) nor webmail adress,
  • Shelter for webbrowsers,
  • no call/SMS/mail during web use,
  • no background data’s allowed anywhere…
    (no GPS, no cloud, no sync…)

Cause alternatives to Contact don’t work fine with Silence, phone… and it’s pretty difficult to really turn off this app.

What a strange idea !!

1 Like

Totaly desagree on a non-100%-FOSS /e/ version; expect anyhow that the non-FOSS parts/components will be clearly described/defined.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.